The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 641 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
Ahhhh this sucks. I might have stripped the holes that screw to the side panels of my Define R4. They won't tighten anymore. That's prolly what I get for opening, and closing my case multiple times with a drill, vs using a screwdriver :(

Maybe I'll have to use screws with bigger threads.

I have used larger screws when that happens. Another option is to back the section with a nut(I did that one on case. Would have to work real hard to strip it now). If i remember right 8-32 is what computer cases/hard drives use.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

Thanks! I could look into drilling a bigger thread on it, maybe 10-24, or 1/4-20. Gonna have to see how much space I have on the case. I could machine some custom thumbscrews on the lathe, prolly out of aluminum.

Question..... I'm running the Asus Maximus VIII hero and it says it has 2 x pcie 3.0 x16 slots that can run in x8/x8 and 1 pcie 3.0 slot (max at x4 mode) my question is the max speed of the 3rd pcie slot x4? I wanted to add an additional spacing between my cards in sli for better airflow but unsure if that 3rd slot will be in x8 if there is still only 2 cards or should I swap out my 6700k and motherboard with my wife's 5820k and her x99 2011-3 motherboard?

X8 does not cost performance at 3.0 speeds.

Your pcie_1 and pcie_2 are pretty far apart are they not? You should be able to have x16 on both and a decent space.
33otybr.jpg

I also changed out all my red stuff for the corsair purple which is really more of a Black light UV blue'ish. Looks amazing in person! I can't wait to finish my loop and add some mayhem UV coloring to the liquid and add my UV led strips from cable mod.

g-unit1111

Titan

Looks pretty sweet!

I got a Gigabyte Z170 Designare for review and this looks like an awesome motherboard. I just picked up an i7-6700K from Micro Center. Can't wait to get this upgrade going.

i just ordered my new monitor! Asus pg348q! Had to order it through my best buy since i have a credit card with them so figured i would take advantage of their 4 year replacement plan and 12 months no interest financing. I cannot wait for it to come in next week.

g-unit1111

Titan

Nice! Is that a 4K or a 1440P?

And I got my system all nice and shiny but I am switching out the RAM I have in there now with some shiny new G Skill Trident Z, so I'm waiting to update my PC Part Picker page when I get that.

pc_1.jpg

Might be the best build I've ever done.

Its 3440x1440 100hz. its 5ms response time and the acer x34 3440x1440 is 4ms. Im contimplating going with the acer instead. I went and looked at both and they both look amazing. Nice build by the way. I wonder if they are going to actually do a 1080ti this go around. I dont see where it would fit in with what we currently have but to not have one would break the trend nvidia has. Perhaps i will sell my 780ti classys and just upgrade to a set of 1080's. Who knows. My local frys has the FTW for $719 and had like 6 in stock on the shelves.

Seems like this thread died. RIP, to attempt to perform CPR on it, how has it been going you guys? I have been struggling in school, kinda tired, got the email from the settlement company for the 970 lawsuit, still struggling in school...

So bad new, bad news, good news, and bad news? :D

what is dead may never die