The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 639 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PandaButtonFTW

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
Hey lads. i got me a new rig, only paid 200 AUD for it too! speccies are~ i7 950 (stock clocks, coz it runs hot as i only had a teeny bit of TIM when i installed it, too lazy to re paste as ive got a new mobo on the way, a sabertooth X58, which is waht i paid 200 for, other than that system was trades/freebies) dareon (lol) HD6970 8gb random ACER branded 1066dimms 120gn corsair force gt ssd OS, 512gb ADATA ssd STEAm, and a 3teebie for random shizzle, mainly anime #weeb life! and i wont send a pic, it will make you physically sick, trusty me.

P.S, i know this is so poorly written, but honestly, meh?

g-unit1111

Titan

I just got a Gigabyte G1 1080 and it is sweet. I may add a second one when prices drop but I am really interested in upgrading my motherboard, CPU and RAM to probably Broadwell-E or whatever the next Intel enthusiast platform is, and when I do so I am very interested in doing a full custom CPU - GPU block.

illuminatuz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I'm happy with the devil's canyon here, I'm expecting a life of 4 more years from now before I'll need a proper upgrade..

except lower power consumption (and higher clocks) I don't see much of a difference between DDR3 & DDR4 for gaming performance..

cheaper prices? I've seen that DDR4 is cheaper than DDR3..

g-unit1111

Titan

I'm waiting for the next generation Intel enthusiast platform to upgrade. Hopefully it's good.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

You should be fine.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah you will be fine, the motherboard doesn't differentiate between dual and quad channel on Z170.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
It's been quite some time since I've been here. How's everyone?

Seeing these new 10 series cards released, they've been pretty hard to find in Canada. Seeing them in stock now, the prices are high! $500+ for the 1070's! $900+ for the 1080s!

Can someone clarify if doing another sli setup with only the 20 lanes the 6700k has is even worth it? Should I try and sell it and go x99 with like a 6900 series for the 40 lanes so I could be in sli at x16 x16? With only 20 pcie lanes would it be a waste to do 2 new Titans or when Volta hits next year (hopefully) those Titans if they would only be running at x8 x8?

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I paid about $700 even for my Gigabyte G1 and that was with tax and shipping. Easily the most I've ever paid or will pay for a GPU.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

Nice. If I had to pick, I'll go with EVGA, or ASUS. Kinda don't like how EVGA added those metal accents. I do wonder......how would a ACX cooler with 3 fans look like lol.

The latest Strix coolers are pieces of crap. I hate to sound so rash but it's the truth. The cooling of anything other than the GPU itself is poor, such as the memory modules and VRMs. In addition the design of the heat pipes is flawed very often. I know this is true for the RX GPUs and I'm quite sure it's also the same for GTX ones, too, according to some posts on Jonnyguru.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
Ahhh I forgot about how ASUS does that. Thanks for reminding me. ASUS's customer service has been getting a lot of flak on reddit recently, even gigabyte. One of the main reasons why i still choose EVGA.

I'd actually much rather have a card that cools the VRMs and memory modules better than the GPU itself. Heck, as long as the GPU is under its TJ max I don't care. Memory and VRMs (or fans) are usually what will fail on a card, not the chip itself. Though it is true that if the chip itself stays cooler it is less prone to heating up adjacent components on the PCB. This is what Cryorig has been doing with their water cooler with the fan that sticks out to cool the motherboard, watercooling tends to heat up the motherboard a bit more since heat is exhausted differently.

g-unit1111

Titan

I wanted to get the EVGA initially but those are very hard to find right now. But I'm going to add a EKWB water block at some point so I figured that it doesn't matter what stock cooler I go with.

Asus has had three strikes with new graphics cards: a HD3850 that was DOA, a GTX560Ti that died within hours of first use, and a GTX970 that also died. The RMAs were all processed, but Why? The only other graphics card to die on me was a HIS HD6790 that may have suffered thermal abuse in a poorly-ventilated case.

Got a quick question. Would my wife's corsair hx 850 pcie gpu power cables work on my evga g2 1300 psu? My psu came with red pcie cables and I'm moving over to a blue build so I'm either going to have to order black or blue sleeved pcie cables or if the wife's extra ones will work they are already black.