The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 640 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

No. The cables that come with your PSU, will only work with that model of PSU.

If you had those sleeved extension cables, they'll work. You're adding length to the cables.

I'd take the RX if only because of driver issues. The HD6970 is losing support. I would also expect the RX to be faster, and use less juice.

You can test the cables with a multimeter to see if they are electrically identical. Is isn't likely (wiring may be REVERSED), but is possible. The PSU end may also be keyed differently. If it isn't, you could use a molex tool to rewire the cable yourself.

PandaButtonFTW

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

Well, asking because i already have a 6970, and its considered a legacy product now, but im really wondering, is the RX 460 a worthwhile upgrade? or is it more of a side-grade...

PandaButtonFTW

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
My specs currently...

CPU: i7 950 3ghz
Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth X58
RAM: 6x2gb assorted (know its not a good thing usually, but they all are 1066mhz with same timings, no problems with them)
GPU: Reference HD6970
PSU: Silverstone ST EVO 1kw
HDD: OS-120gb corsair force gt. 512gb ADATA SX900. 3tb seagate barracuda

So, what's your opinion on what i should upgrade, i know i want a new cpu/mobo/ram, but i'm not sure whether it would be a good idea, as i'd like to see if zen lives up to the hype, i really hope it does. so, get maybe an i5 skylake, mid range board (quality, i care about longevity of my parts ALOT) and 16gb ddr4, or wait for zen?

on the graphics front, thinking about it, efficiency is not something i care so much about, making the RX 460 not worthwile, thinking maybe the 470 would be better. my monitor is 1920x1200.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

I would wait, and see what Zen will offer. Hopefully, the performance will be great for the amount of time it has been. If it doesn't deliver, then go for the i5.

The rx 470 is a pretty nice choice. The prices thou, are awful.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I'm going to order the black and orange cables for my G2 soon. I already ordered the NVIDIA HB bridge yesterday. Can't wait to transform my rig into a liquid cooled powerhouse.

illuminatuz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011

the CPU still has some juice left.. just upgrade the GPU and game on... you don't need any major upgrade.. the 1070 should be good for a good time to ultra out all games.. see my spec.. 1920x1080.. it still holds good..

I still don't know which block to get from ek. I think I'm going purple lighting. Those corsair sp fans in purple led's is such a deep purple it looks like a black light. Beautiful! So gonna grab the hue+ and a couple sp-120's with purple led's then get my block, fittings and liquid and I'm gonna throw it all together. Now to decide to top mount the 360 rad or front mount it in my air 540.

g-unit1111

Titan

What kind of blocks are you looking at? What GPU are you going for? I chose the G1 because EKWB has a custom water block for it, and I know they also have ones for MSI and they have one in development for EVGA.

So, I've finally got to play around with my RX 460. My conclusion is that I'm very happy with this purchase. In the AMD Crimson Suite, it shows 90C as the max temperature, so I am glad to know that it can be pushed higher. For those of you who are worried about the power limit on RX cards being a bottleneck, there is a simple slider for increasing the power limit. The game I played in particular is Roller Coaster Tycoon World, known to make my R9 390 even struggle quite a bit (on 1440p) and also get very hot. The temperature management is on automatic for me, fans and everything. The GPU was under 70C while gaming. Remember, this XFX GPU I have is a single fan and installed in an ITX case.

The fan is audible - I'm not going to lie. But it's not at all interruptive over gameplay noise. Since the GPU can go to 90C, a more relaxed manual fan profile can also be set. At first I thought it had coil whine, and it might have a tiny bit, but I think the primary source of noise is the fan. When idling the fan shuts off.

I gotta say, having used Nvidia and AMD drivers before, I'm highly impressed with Crimson's latest stuff. Using the Global Wattman - a new feature, is incredible for tweaking your GPU. It eliminates the need for any type of 3rd party app (which, by the way, Afterburner couldn't really detect details about this GPU other than the name).

So, I am on a 768p monitor right now. Yes, I understand - low resolution. And I think it's the perfect card for such a resolution. According to Steam surveys a of people still use it, so this is a great card for 60FPS on a 768p monitor. Should also do well at 1q=080p. But anyway I was surprised when my game launched with very smooth gameplay on good settings.

Well i may wait for volta to come out. I was just going to do the 360 radiator but im thinking in anticipation i may go ahead and throw a 280 in the top and for now just have 2 rads for the cpu lol until i upgrade my gpu's. I don't know i don't want to have to fool with draining the loop when i add a gpu from volta (or if these 780ti's die first pascal). So maybe if i just add the 280mm rad now before i fill and complete the loop it would be better...........Well now that i think about it i would have to drain the loop anyway to add the gpu block or blocks so nevermind. HAHA guess just the 1 360 rad for now. Im looking at the EK Supremacy evo or the Mx

I haven't bought anything PC-related in months now. I'm thinking about getting an external magnetic drive for backups, and at least one more 16GB thumb drive. The one I've been beating to death in USB3.0 benchmarks seems to be suffering some glitches; I know flash drives don't last forever, and wonder if this one may be nearing the end of its useful life.

illuminatuz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
so, a generic question.. what's the big deal with the DDR4 except higher clocks & lower power consumption, I don't actually see any improvement in games (1-2 fps) and I also saw that the DDR4 is cheaper than the DDR3!!!

D

Deleted member 217926

DDR4 offers a huge increase in potential bandwidth. This allows Intel and AMD to update the integrated memory controllers ( IMC ) on their new CPUs to take advantage of the increased throughput. It also uses less voltage and runs cooler.

The first DDR4 didn't really offer any advantages due to relatively low speeds and high cas latency but it's gotten better. So far it's looking like DDR4 3200 will be the new DDR3 1600.

DDR4 is cheaper now because of production. Most production lines are making DDR4 now making it cheaper. DDR3 is still being made but in much reduced amounts and as old stock clears out it will continue to increase in price.

illuminatuz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
so in games there's not much of a performance improvement.. maybe GTA or something that needs CPU to work..
coz 95%** of games GPU intensive.. then maybe the new AMD's tech of including some "HDD" memory on-board the GPU might help push up the frames/quality of games.. somewhere I feel that the DDR4 is more aimed at production side..

Tom's did a test for RAM in games.. so upto 16GB there was improvement in FPS, post which it was very small ~1-2 FPS.. that's why since 16GB is the sweet spot, So I just stopped at 16GB DDR3.. I hope that the DDR3 - i74790K with the 1070 holds good for the next 4 years.. max out games at 1080p for 2 years..

**random %age

illuminatuz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
so, my motherboard supports OC'd RAM, so if I OC the RAM or get something like 2000+ MHz for DDR3 - I'll see an improvement in Fallout 4.. hmm.. I'm now wondering how the AMD's new tech of including a memory in the GPU is going to work.. that'll bypass the motherboard circuitry etc..

D

Deleted member 217926

That's only on that one professional card. I doubt we will see a consumer level card with built in NAND for quite some time. All they did was add a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro to it.

g-unit1111

Titan

I think the die-hard AMD fans are overhyping Volta. After what happened with the RX-480's launch I'm not expecting much from AMD in that department. NVIDIA won this round.