The Myths Of Graphics Card Performance: Debunked, Part 2

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Each to their own with what they can.

I prefer bigger displays for gaming as well comparable to watching a movie but TVs being dominantly 1080p, a negative for some older titles I've played do sometimes need modifying the game's resolution. Newer titles/consoles obviously aren't a problem being natively 720/1080p but limited resolutions can be a drawback.

I disagree with the statement that a $400 monitor would be comparable in quality (despite size) to similar worth in a TV. You get what you pay for and quite frankly $400 (current, not old or2nd hand) TV would be total shit, low sub field range, poor psu/T-con/scan boards and not to mention ghosting would be total maddness.

Im picking on LCD TVs also, since panels used in them are different to Monitors and if i was wanting a big screen and LCD was only available, after seeing so many demo TVs in various sizes at retail stores with my jaw dropping in disappointment, i just couldn't torture myself. I mean 60"+ TVs, Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp, LG, Hisense, two of those brands selling 79/80" for $8000+ AU is getting out of hand. I know its drifting off topic but wanted to share my opinion in LCD technology being abused in TV's with cheap panels and their fluent motion is not all that good to watch. I stood 20 meters away in store and could still see ghosting from a 65" 200hz LCD TV demoing at the time Pixar's Frozen movie in fast scenes.

Bit of a brag i apologies, I have two TVs for a couple of computers, a 42" and 65", 42" for the usual computer and the other for the lounge entertainment similar to rOllinlacs setup. Both displays have flawless motion and input lag is null. I do have a wireless keyboard to sit on the lounge play games with but i get my Bee Gees going more with a fold up table for kb&m and chair to sit closer, 65" @ 1080p, detail in games can still be a bit too tiny to see. The TV's are Panasonic but neither are LCD and would rather buy a monitor for PC use if both TVs decided to die.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
r0llinlacs, again i agree that to me a larger tv is fine for my pc uses and has served me well in the past and probably will again in the future. You did not post your opinion that this was your experience and your ok with the quality your set-up brings. you instead came in here ranting accusing everyone of deliberately bashing your beloved as some kind of personal attack on you. your entitled to your opinion and all i explained was the differing opinion expressed in the article and elsewhere. What you consider acceptable is not acceptable to others and there are products available that meet the higher standards of the minority enthusiast reader here.

i've heard the difference in home theater sound systems and though i can appreciate the $3000 set-up and it's fine sound, i am very happy with my $500 amp and speakers i use. this does not mean i feel the $3000 set-up is overpriced, a rip-off or somehow scamming me with same priced stuff marked up 5000%.

your trying to justify your opinion with crazy comparisons that just don't hold water. why can i get a 50" Vizio tv from walmart for $400 or less and yet i can also get a 50" Sony tv elsewhere for $1500?? Because they are both the same and sony is price gauging?? hardly. what is inside the tv is more important than the screen itself for overall picture quality. this is why a much smaller gaming monitor is the same price as a much larger tv. what's inside is VERY high quality and specialized to provide exactly what a high end gamer wants.

again if your happy with what you got super be happy but don't hate on others who aren't happy. i love my ford fusion and though i can afford MUCH better but i chose not to after driving many higher priced "better" cars. i personally don't see the extra $20-40k worth in the Mercedes or bmw, but i don't bash Motor Trend for reviewing and singing the praises of such cars. try to express yourself a little better and perhaps your opinion would be valued higher. coming in here ranting like a 14 year old who's parents have looked away will guarantee your dismissed quickly.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
I've been testing out an HTPC with a 48" Samsung TV (UE48H6700), ie.:

https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-h6700-ue-40-48-55-h6700-tv-review.10496

The picture is great, but the lag is very high, at least half a second. I thought it had a game
mode, but the option is hiding from me atm...

However, even assuming I can sort out the lag to some extent (where are thou, game mode?),
I don't think I'd use it to play FPS games where precision/timing are often critical (for me just now,
that's Stalker COP, Crysis/Warhead/2 and Far Cry 2), but for more scenic games where such quick
responses are not so relevant, I think it'll be ideal, especially Oblivion IV. Particularly intrigued to
see how Oblivion looks on such a large 1080 display when rendered via NVIDIA's new DSR mode,
should be interesting (5GHz 2700K, GTX 980). For such games, I like the idea of being able to sit
back & relax on a sofa to play, with a more immersive audio (5.1 setup; my gaming PC just has stereo).

I bought a Yamaha RX-V677 to handle upscaling of older systems including PS2, GameCube, N64, VHS, etc.

Ian.

Eggz

Distinguished
I have a 46 in Sony IPS 1080p screen @ 60 Hz running my rig. It's calibrated and tuned so there's no lag. To be fair, my particular screen was significantly more expensive than just about any computer monitor, so that may have something to do with it, but I'm not sure it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.