The old continuous rebooting problem

gaffers

Honorable
Jun 30, 2015
Hi,

I recently purchased a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 board and 4670k CPU. My existing system is an FX 6300 with some old ASRock board, so I don't have parts to interchange to test.

In brief, I'm getting a continuous rebooting problem before POST, and have narrowed it down to the board, the CPU, or perhaps need to flash the BIOS.

I know this problem appears a lot, so I've gone through all of the usual checks, for standoffs, CPU fan, etc, through breadboarding. Tried two RAM modules in all slots, individually and sperate, both past a test on my other system.

My question, really, is;
Would the BIOS version (which I don't know, because I can't get there) be likely to support the 4670k? Or my RAM, which is Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz? Would either be a symptom of this problem, or would it still POST?

BTW, it powers up okay without the 8 pin CPU power attached, but of course doesn't go anywhere.

I rather fear that the CPU or board are dead. Both purchased as 'new' on ebay, but I don't want to return anything if it's just me being stupid.