The Olympics Chose Windows XP Over Vista, 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silluete

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
And they say Acer is crap. But again pc for olympics must be mintpicked anyway. Good to hear nothing bad happen.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I wonder what will happen to all those PCs after the Olympics? For longevity afterwards, Win7 would be better. But of course, the VANOC's job is to get the Olympics done right. And if XP works for them, I'm glad that's what they went with.

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
"she didn't want to part with a notebook hearty enough to survive a bowl of soup."

I see what you did there lol

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
If they're buying a crapton of computers for something that lasts a couple of months what happens to the computers afterwards? And what were they using before? I'm sure they weren't just computerless.

If they're tossing them, I'd gladly take a couple...

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I'd like to know how long these 6,000 Notebooks have been issued for and how much use they've seen. I'm sure these will be nice collector items too as they'd have the Olympic Logo printed on them. I find it very impressive that they've worked with 100% reliablity. Did they go through extra Q&A before going out? Out of the 5 notebook computers I've purchased I've had one DOA. Also have experience 2 HDD failures out of the 5 notebooks after about a year each of service. My point is sort of Q&A is in the gutter these days and 6,000 of these things have work flawlessly so far.

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I think acer cherry picked the laptop that work the best since it also a free marketing for them. One swell swoops and their brand will be globally tarnished and no millions of dollars in marketing will recover that.

G

I got my daughter an Acer for Christmas and it has worked like a charm. It was by far the best value for the buck.

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
It's not like they decided to purchase these 3 weeks ago. Olympic events are planned far in advance. With the poor public perception of Vista, using XP was a simple choice. Besides, who wants to provide tech support for and/or train 6000 people from all over the world on a brand new OS? This is hardly headline-worthy.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
My office’s 32bit XP workstation crashes so often it accounts for 80% of my computer troubles (I also “handle” three PC in my home; 2 x64 Win7 and 1 x64 Vista)

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]My office’s 32bit XP workstation crashes so often it accounts for 80% of my computer troubles (I also “handle” three PC in my home; 2 x64 Win7 and 1 x64 Vista)[/citation]

That's like blaming a car crash on the gasoline you put in it.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Ah, hockey, the only game that matters. =)
(Is curling even a real sport?)

I've been using Win7 for well over a year now though, new my ass...

Wish I was in Vancouver when the games started, one of my cousins was telling me people were looting the local shops. I'd beeline to the nearest NCIX. >_>

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]My office’s 32bit XP workstation crashes so often it accounts for 80% of my computer troubles (I also “handle” three PC in my home; 2 x64 Win7 and 1 x64 Vista)[/citation]

If its running fully up to date with SP3 this means you either have a hardware problem or its being caused by some badly cded 3rd party software

a fully up to date XP SP3 installation on quality hardware running decent software is as reliable if not more than vista/7

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
VANOC is a bunch of crooked group... I bet they went for xp to maximize their profit... If you were in Vancouver, you would know how much monopoly they impose on people... BUT NEVERTHELESS, they did a fantastic job of organizing stuff. Go Canada, GO

Cosmonal

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
@excalibur1814
Not lazy IT...

The XP choice could be explained by some custom software (a desktop program writen to do something to the organizers) that might not be web-based. For custom software, the OS should just do their job - and XP's NT kernel is just as stable as 7's. It's very common that happen and XP adoption was so wide just because everyone (home and companies) was getting a stable OS at last (up until Millennium, we had a kernel based on 3.11 - which was unstable EVEN when the hardware was perfect).

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
I always been pushing 64bit. Vista 32bit was a mistake, it made it so companies were too lazy to develope for 64bit. Now I am glad 64Bit OS is almost on every PC, and 32bit is a thing of the past.

Now with how well vista and windows 7 runs, there is just no point in Xp. Xp is just holding everyone back.

Status
Not open for further replies.