The PC Requirements For Mainstream VR HMDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Basically, once you skip all the blah blah, etc, etc and yadda yadda, get onto ebay and buy a second hand quad core i5, no matter what it is, any Samsung SSD of reasonable size, then buy a specified graphics card of worth.

-Save cash
-More than fast enough
-Ready to go

Then you can buy the over priced VR headset that'll eventually be worth $50 in less than a year. Welcome to 'please buy our stuff over and over again' 101.

P.s. There is next to ZERO need to buy a NEW computer.

InvalidError

Titan

As long as you already own a decently powerful one.

I'm surprised that DDR3 vs DDR4 even got mentioned as there is nearly no performance benefit to DDR4, certainly none worth buying a new PC specifically for, even less so when dealing with i3-class CPUs.

wiak

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
the intel in the minimum made me laught, nobody in their right mind would run VR on intel graphics

for what i call minimum i would do
RX 460 2GB/GTX 1050 2GB

and for premium
RX 470 4GB/1060 3GB or better

anything else is stupid

shane_50

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
Exciting times ahead in the virtual world in next few years and with xr leading the way . I love the tech umbrella term putting all realities under the one term creates less confusion and xr sets the trend for the future.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Let me translate this article for everyone. VR specs are getting convoluted because people are not going to go back to clunky, loud, space consuming, desktop PC's to tinker with Virtual Reality. People want Ultrabooks! VR is dead-on-arrival until Intel makes ultra-low powered processors with RX 480 equivalent Intel Integrated Graphics.

You are all asking for 480 level graphics. I believe that you have missed the point of this article. It clearly states that this is NOT for premium gaming. That's only a little part of the spectrum. You can use XR skype/excel with A LOT less than a 480. Intel integrated graphics is MORE than enough for most applications.
Look at what the hololens is able to do with a mobile SOC.

InvalidError

Titan

You could do VR on a 10 years old GPU, you just need to lower the detail floor that software is written for some more. That's basically what Microsoft and others are doing here: tell VR developers what the new (lowered) floor is.

Wiak,
I think your comment means you missed the main POINT of the article. The Intel HD graphics is on the LOW end thus meant only for "mixed reality", 360 Video etc and is NOT meant for things like gaming.

Other: I didn't find the "X vs Y" explanation very helpful really

Status
Not open for further replies.