THE PC vs. CONSOLE WAR: PC's are LOSING.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamosmaki

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Ok i'm new here and i choose this thread for my first post since i'm a pc gamer for 15years.Since early 90's with every gen of consoles i hear pc is dying and yet ( like others said ) is still here and going strong
Pc made 12,7 billion dollars revenue in 2008 ( by far the most revenue from any single gaming platform ). For comparison all 3 major consoles plus handhelds and ps2 did about 20billion including both hardware and software while pc includes only software in that 12,7billion number which make it an even more impressive.That figure alone buries the whole pc gaming is dying rumor that is been going on since ps1 era
The only think dying on pc world are retail Us only sales.
My opinion people say pc gaming is dying because is loosing exclusives like crysis to consoles but also it happens the opposite consoles are loosing games to pc ( metal gear rising is confirmed for pc and capcom released devil may cry 4 on pc and is releasing street fighter 4 and re5 on pc to ).
Most console users know games like gta4 and Halo. There is a world of excellent indie games on pc with production values comparable to a bungie or a sony game.Sins of solar empires, Kings bounty,Zeno clash,Cryostasis,World of goo and lots of other great games are some games many people dont know about.
With RTS and MMO games only being viable on PC ,with multiplatform games like mass effect and fallout 3 ending being much better on pc ( graphics,mod support,KB+M combo) ,with a huge modding community for games like half life 2 ( and every source engine based game),crysis, oblivion and others pc is the best gaming platform (in my opinion ) and far from dying.
Another misconception is that pc gaming cost alot. In fact pc gaming can end up being cheaper than console if you build your own pc. Considering you can build a decent gaming pc for 600 and add another 200-300 in 2-3 years for upgrades thats 800-900. Now if you consider that pc games cost 10-20 less than console games and with places like steam where you can get great games very cheap ( i just bought the 3 penumbra games for only $5 and UT3 for $10 ) and places like gametap and metaboli where you can pay about $10 a month and play any and as many pc games you want ( those sites are legal in case you wonder)

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I wouldn't mind if PC games cost twice as much, but took advantage of current PC hardware.
Pc gaming is being killed because its being held back so much by the consoles, and its a shame.
Piracy is obviously a problem, but not the only one.

fastz28camaro1981

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
HOW PC IS BETTER

- Better Graphics (This is a FACT) - Just compare the spec of a Console to that of a PC Video card, and it's obvious that this is true..

- You Can do MUCH more with a PC, so when you say "But, PC is more expensive than a console" realize that there's a reason for this, otherwise there simply would not be a market for PC Gaming, as it would not be reasonably priced, and people would not buy it. (People are smarter than you think)

- You can MOD games with a PC, you can get mods that range from anything from simple weapon mods, up to actually making the game look better than it was when it was released.

- Consoles have a resolution cap of 1080p, while PC's can go as high as 1600p giving you even better picture quality.

- PC Has DirectX 10 video cards, while Console still has DirectX 9 (Believe me, it's not JUST a number)

- You can do Photo/Audio/Video editing and Animation if you so choose.

THE TRUTH ABOUT BUYING A PC

It seems that people that have consoles usually also have a PC, but their PC would probably make a really good gaming rig, if they would have just taken the money that they spent on a Console, and put it towards a good video card for a PC, now they can have a gaming rig that does way more than a console. Tho consoles are more portable than a PC, if your one to just keep your console at home, I'd say take that money, and make a sweet PC

ALSO, PC's DON'T have to put a dent in your wallet, the only time a PC will cost you $3,000 - $4,000 is when your a bragger, and you like to overkill everything. You can build a top of the line gaming rig for about $1,000 that will let you play games such as Far Cry 2 on Ultra High at 1600p.

and I know that people will say "But I bought a computer from Dell for $1500, and I couldn't even play Crysis on Medium"

here's why: These companies rip you off!! they are over priced, and the reason they are overpriced is because they know that most people that will be buying a prebuilt PC are the type of people that don't know much about PC's, otherwise they would probably just build their own, almost every person that has ever had a sweet gaming computer, built it themselves.

You could build a better system, if you just hand picked all the parts and put it together yourself, really it's not that hard, or you could buy the parts and pay a computer tech $100 to put it together, and still be saving money.

If PEOPLE WANT A CHEAP COMPUTER THAT PLAYS GAMES

If you want a cheap computer that plays games, then remove all of the abilities it has, and there you go. Like I said PC is more because you can do more, just like how there are cheap cars, and really expensive cars, they are both cars and the both perform the same task, but one does the same task and then some, and is better, and faster.

PC is for people that want to do more than a Console, if you JUST want to play games and don't care about having really amazing graphics, then go for a Console, but just because you prefer a Console over a PC, and that it suits your needs, don't say Console is better, because it simply is not. It's better for YOU, but not better.

And yes there is more maintenance with a PC, but not much really, and it only has to be done every couple weeks, and it only takes 5-10 minutes. The problem is that PC has a bad image, of Hanging all the time, and whatnot, but this is just a stereotype, otherwise all priests would be pedophiles now wouldn't they?

and if you get the right antivirus program that doesn't slow down your PC (Which you can get) then you won't have to worry about viruses.

CONCLUSION

PC - Better Graphics, More Capability, Can be reasonably Priced if you know how to buy it.
Console - Portable, Cheaper (but less capabilities), Great Graphics, but not Better than PC. Less Maintenance

deckeon

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Hey guys,

This isn't a bad thing. Of course PC gaming will not completely die. I see a lot of posts that I can really relate to. I'm a middle agein gamer(35 actually old for a gamer I guess) and remember fondly the text based or poor graphix, IMAGINATION required, games of the 80s. The golden age of the early 90s when graphics caught up to the imagination. Gameplay was still king and nearly ALL PC gamers were happy.

Well guess what, we are headed back to the best of ALL past decades with PC gaming. That is if you do not absolutely require the very best looking, over produced, over marketed corporate crap they make these days.

The Indy, small developer is coming back suddenly and furiously. Some of them consider it a HOBBY. The Labours of LOVE are coming back. ONE GUY can make a game again! Remember Bard's Tale? That was basically one guy with a bunch of polishers at interplay making it sellable.

Case in point. Remember car wars? Did you like it? Someone (yes one guy) made a modern computer game that is BETTER. Even if this TURN BASED (GASPPPSSS) STRATEGY (OHHH NOOOEEEES) game with MEDIOCRE Graphics (the 20 somethings just stopped reading my post) MMO, is NOT your cup of tea , follow some of the reviewer links to other GREAT INDY GAMES that will make you turn your dosbox window off.

If you appreciate me sending you to Darkwind, please quote my game ID so the developer Sam knows I'm REALLY routing for him. He's not making money at the game, get this....he doesn't CARE. He made the game HE wants to play. Some other people like myself just happen to think it's one of the best things ever made.

More games like this are coming to you - custom made for your special interest. As soon as the corporato cheats have finally got lost. But...they'll be back :(

My Game ID :14230
http://www.dark-wind.com

Fletch206

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Wow @ how many of you over-analyze everything. Piracy isn't the reason PC games are dying. PC Games are dying because consoles are able to do more now and it's way more appealing to people to pop in a game and know that it will work off the bat rather than having to install it on the computer only to get error messages you have to go around and fix. The console is just 100% simple. PC's are 70% simple. People go for convenience.

That being said... I am a PC gamer. The reason I haven't switched over to console gaming is because I hate most online play on the console. Most games don't even allow you to search for games in your area... so you end up getting in a game with someone from the UK where it lags to ***. This obviously isn't a problem for PC games like Counterstrike, CoD, WoW, etc. Also another reason I like PC gaming more is because it's easier to communicate (I like just being able to type to people, and also not a lot of people even have Microphones for their PS3's)

I remember in the days of PS1, N64, and even PS2 the PC games were always one step ahead graphics wise. Now a days they are pretty much on par (because consoles are becoming more like PC's) If all console games were keyboard ready and had local host searches I'd probably stop playing PC games.

fudpex

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Piracy is not the issue guys. That's just the easiest excuse.

PC Gaming is dying for 1 reason. Consoles are taking it over.

I am a hardcore PC gamer, My whole life i have played PC games and i have never bought a console. But i do know for a fact that the consoles are better and THAT is the real reason why PC Gaming is dying.

Its like being a windows person, and hating Macs, but you KNOW that macs are better. because i am one of those people too. Its all about being the stronger person and admitting it.

We are old school fellas. we know our roots and we will do anything to stand by its side. but the truth of the matter is, Consoles are made for gaming. case closed. Most peoples hate toward the consoles are the lack of custom ability, and that damn thing that sits in your hands... what is it... a controller? Well we all know that Consoles will have keyboard and mouse support in the future, and even to take it a step further, something better will come out.

Why would the kids that have grown up on consoles even think about buying a PC? They pretty much have every function a PC has now. not quite, but it will be there eventually. (near future) but it will never have the "Personal Aspect" PC = Personal Computer. its OURS, Customized for US, By US. Consoles are the same everywhere else.

Were going to have to suck it up eventually guys. i know it. Until then I'm putting all my money into my PC. ;)

YEAR 2012 = PC Gaming Dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.