THE PC vs. CONSOLE WAR: PC's are LOSING.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Has everyone forgot about local multiplayer? That is one feature that is, for the most part, only available on consoles.

Never underestimate the desire to play games with your buddies on the couch.
There USED to be the division between PC and consoles.. PCs were for your singleplayer, and ONLINE games... Consoles were for your local multiplayer and the odd singleplayer game.
Now consoles offer ONLINE games, so it does it all, for much cheaper.

What i'm saying, is the PC should offer local multiplayer, and online splitscreen. That, combined with the optional better graphics, will keep PC as the superior platform.

Local multiplayer used to be silly on a PC, as everyone had to huddle around the computer monitor. but now that you can hook up your PC to your HDTV.. a PC could offer local multiplayer, and people would bite.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
PC Gamining is in decline all down to one reason and one reason only..

People come on here and say "Blah Blah Blah.... No it isnt". Are more than likely that these are perpetrators in downloading and pirating games with out any consideration for anyone else except from theyre selfish mentality...

If you cant afford it does it give you the right to steal a car... No, and this goes for music, games, programs and films..

Ok so when you buy a DVD or a game does it give you the right to ownership...

No, it gives you the right to play it, use it, and as many times as you like for personal use..

PIRACY IS KILLING THE PC..

I do not have a problem with this as paying for games for me has been what is acceptable to the market..

You buy a pc for 2000 dollars or £1000 for a computer and it will give you the best value for money in enterainment than any other device... Plus it plays games and when you pay £30 quid for a game that can last over 2 months of game play that is 50p per hour per day if played on hour a day, or even 10 per hour if played 5 hours a day..

Now you tell me where you pay 50p per hour let alone 10p per hour for some recreational time...

Its cheap...

But all you free loaders want more, expect more and we get less thanks to your selfish act...

Youll say that Xbox 360 games get copied too and yes they do but you have to have it modded and games are a nightmare to copy, unlike pc games which have copy protection removed and hacks made for them.

Halflife 2 was hacked into on its servers . Well done hacker your only peeved off every game player on the pc...

Thought you were clever huh.. Well I got news for you ... it werent and you should spend time in jail rotting with the guy from the uk who was "looking for aliens". Freaking nerds..

The pc was the BEST gaming platform ever, still could be if the game companies can make money on games which cost millions to make...

Maybe pcs are too advanced nowadays to make games within a set budget.....
where consoles are move left, move right ... fire then the gamepad vibrates, move forward, jump, press left on almost the game flaming games day in day out.

I guess youve never heard of a LAN PARTY?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
So is this a PC bashing thread?

Without PC's... how would game for console exist?

And if a game was successful on a console, why wouldn't they make a PC or Mac version of it?

There's still money to be made off games that grabs a gamers attention if you ask me.

And besides that, PC hardware pretty much is way head of software for hardware to be used in a fashion that would considered efficient.

This thread kinda reminds me of the cell cpu vs reg cpu thread I saw way back.

I've personally brought all my games from bestbuy, or when compusa was around. I know I'm a cheapo, but I won't buy or take pirated stuff. Its just not right to me. But then you always have someone who wants to break into stuff, and figure out a hack for the pleasure of it.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
sh**** games kill the industry.

That being said there's about a half dozen PC games i'll be purchasing in the next 3 months alone (can't remember what's coming end of nov-dec). And alot more coming from Valve (tf2 updates, hl2 ep3, p2 etc) and Blizzard in the next year or two.

It's never looked better. The cream of the crop!

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Just because more games are coming out for consoles does NOT mean PC gaming is dying. :kaola: Just go to http://www.gamespot.com/ to see the list of upcoming games, including Star Craft 2 and Diablo 3.

One exception is sports games, like Tiger Woods 2008, and others that just work better on consoles, where people can play heads up. PCs only allow one person to play at a time, with the exception of online titles. Another exception is the games targeted to kids, like Mario Cart.

PC games will live for RTS, FPS, simulation, and role playing and adventure games (games that take longer than a couple hours to complete). It will also continue for MMO types. It will continue for titles that can take advantage of the new graphics technologies.

It won't continue for titles that have already reached maturity, like Chess Master and arcade games, that don't need more graphic realism.

raydog

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I feel big companies need to start equiping their computers w/ better power supplies. Most people buy hp's or dell's from best buy or whatever. Then if someone tells them they "need a graphics card to play video games....oh..but u also need a power supply"=mo money. "Oh, you don't know how to install it" =mo money=pain in the ass.
Most ordinary folks don't want to deal w/ it. If the big computer giants(hp, dell..whoever), marketed their comps w/ a good power supply, and that a graphics card of ur choice could be intalled very easily w/ only the drivers to load; I thnik this would definitely help pc sales. Of course this means hp and such would have to charge a lil more for a better psu, but I think people would buy it thinking later they could shop around and add their own graphics card instead of the p.o.s. 8500gt that came w/ their comp, and is not giving them good perfromance.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
i completely agree, but i think the PC gamer retialers should pull there weight, £45 to 50 for a new PC game really? and COD4 is still £32 on steam, good greif if you sold these for £20 you would make much more money as less people would pirate.

i certainly pay for the games i enjoy especailly if i go online.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
I think I know how we can turn the tides on PC vs Console war.....
Lets pirate console games! Download ROMs! Whose with me?! We'll make consoles so unprofitable Nintendo will go back to making playing cards!

Joking aside....I don't think PC games are going anywhere. Games like RTSs and RPGs have never been done right on the console. Those will always belong to the PC.

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
LoL.....I wonder if you guys will still be on the forums in 10 years preaching the demise of the pc......ill tell you, i own a ps3 and a gigantor rig, and the games look like crap on the ps3 compared to the comp. And the ps3 is hooked up to a 52" 1080p lcd.....so like....It ain't the display. The pc will always be king for those with money, and those with out money will always go to the console because it is a much better deal. But unless the rich populace disappears (which they wont), the pc will always be king....consoles have like a 4 year life cycle......upgrade the vid card in your computer 2 years after you get it and it will last you.....console....straight to the trash or craigslist.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I think we will be fine. Every market has its slow times and there are plenty of good PC games coming out soon. Starcraft 2 comes to mind as a big one.

Best,

3Ball

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I'm gonna sum it up to this. Over time the market changes......I am 41 years old. I have seen console and pc side by side for over 30 years. The Atari 2600 was released in 1977. To me the console is for people who like to just play games where the computer does that and a whole lot more. More people know less about how to use a pc than how to use a console. The ease of use makes it easy for any person to just plug it in and play. Plus more people are used to consoles than pc's. When the Atari 2600 came out hardly anyone had a pc in their home.

To me consoles are becoming more like computers and not the other way around. I agree that there have been changes in the market but as long as there is a large enough market for PC gaming then it will never go away.

What me worry? nahhhh

jpbg

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
steam lets you download the game on multiple pcs, i recently built an old computer and when i wanted to reinstall my games i just went to steam and reinstalled it on my new pc, of course it was slower than popping in a disk

iamtheone

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
Realize as a PC gamer with interest in the worlds best computer hardware,you are among the elite. The best is not for the mainstreme just ,as there are fewer Ferrari and other exotic car dealerships in comparison to the number of average car dealers.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008

you sir, have just described me... i do feel bad that i've been pirating since forever, in fact my brother is playing a pirated game right now, farcry
but im slowly trying to phase out of it.. i absolutely refuse to pay for any game that came out BEFORE 2005.... i know it sounds ignorant, but i think i should be able to play some classics, hey if they charged $5 for old games, i would totally buy it.....

i think he meant on one screen.. and i do agree with hixbot, if i was able to do some local multi on one screen, i would love pc so much more, my bro wouldn't have to play on his Shi**** 2002 computer

next time you wanna buy a game, get it from steam... yea sure it has its problems as all digital copy download apps have, but i like it... i personally prefer a real copy over digital

and finally i agree with lasttarget as well.. if pc games die, pirating for consoles will SKY rocket

i read through every single comment cause this topic intrigues me, and i do feel im somewhat at fault... i used to pirate movies, games, music, but im slowly phasing myself out

we[my fam] watch movies in theaters simply cause CAM quality on a large screen is horrendous
i buy the dvd's for movies i wanna watch
i have a list of games i want to buy because i realized i just can't play through a game if i didn;t buy it.. and i do wanna buy diablo 3, starcraft 2, champions, mass effect, gta IV, and the list grows

...music is another story, if anything, ill buy a napster account and download every song i own in one month so i don't feel that guilt =P

so i sincerely apologize to all those diehard, loyal gamers for my piracy, and im sure if i can stop, anyone can... people who can;t pay for the games can play the free ones online... theres thousands of them, and some of them are good

*edit*
CAN'T FORGET SPORE =P

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I was playing warcraft over a modem line against my brother 10 years ago!. People go to LAN parties dragging their PC's or laptop's behind them. Also you can play numerous games online using your computer that you and your friends can play on. Our lan group will often have one person run a designated server that we all join so we can play together.......and it doesn't cost a dime....

:lol: split screen............ :pt1cable: Who needs a spit screen when you have a pc..........

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I think Source7200 has the right idea.

1. Market Saturation. How many FPS do we need? Not all PC consumers have the ability to buy CoD4, UT3, and Crysis. Some consumers have to make a choice then stick with that.

2. Console games can be rented, a game can be finished in 1-2 week then it's returned. Adults with children would rather pay the small rental fee $5 than a high ownership cost $40-$60.

3. MMO's - People pay $15 a month, after 3-4month that is the value of a new game. Since the cost is monthly many just continue to play their MMO and not invest into new games as often.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
In the death of PC gaming, there is no one to blame but ourselves; we haven't taken a strong enough stance against piracy, and we've pushed developers away from the platform because of it. Why waste the time releasing a game on the PC that will sell maybe 500,000 copies when GTA IV and Gears of War sold over 5 million copies, Call of Duty 4 over 6 million, and Halo 3 over 8 million copies on the Xbox360 alone. Add in the PS3 numbers to GTA IV and Call of Duty 4, and it really makes you wonder why people are even bothering to release titles on the PC these days. I love the PC and have always loved the PC as a gaming platform, but lately it seems like the damage is irreversible, and that the only developers that are going to stay are Blizzard and Valve, although Valve has already started branching out to the Xbox360 as well.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Flyin15 has hit the nail on the head IMO. People are all logged into WoW and dont have time or dont feel the need to purchase new games.

Go tell Blizzard that PC gaming is dying, they will laugh in your face, I guarantee it.

leon2006

Distinguished
Console Game is very easy to market than a PC. Common people with no time or patience to learn the intricacies of PC can immediately enjoy PS3, XBOX360 or WII. It a business and game makers will go to where the money is.

PC game will remain superior than console games (regardless of the cost) on all technical aspect. PS3 and XBOX360 hardware is 4th generation older than our PC hardware.

PS3 for all its hype run games in 720P without telling the users. Assasins creed and Call of Duty 4 runs on 720P on PS3. PS3 Engine can't match the capability of the current PC. But again common people don't really care about it. Maybe 720P is good enough for them

We all know that 720P is not enough for PC games. PC Video card alone is far more expensive than the console games.

Its a fact of life that PC games is a minute percentage of the GAME business. It will remain that way since the CONSOLE GAME is an easier market to capture.

PC games will not go away any time soon. Its the bench mark of computer games. Development of games are still done on PC platform with cross compiler to console.

I'm a PC gamer and will remain on this platform. I like excellent graphics and excellent game-story/plot. I like the control that are availbe on PC & PC games. As long as you have the money you can improve the quality of your game. You can't do that on CONSOLE GAMES.

On Console games you get what the game makers think you need. They even decide what resolution you should play your game. I DONT LIKE THAT SCENARIO AT ALL.

When I'm not playing my PC run my design simulations that takes if not hours, weeks to finish. I can't do that on PS3 or XBOX360.

Thats my personal view...

Status
Not open for further replies.