The Phone Packing Windows XP is Finally on Sale

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Soo.. now phones can get BSOD's too? haha!

Is it really running Windows XP? man phones nowdays must have some serious power if they can run desktop operating systems!

Goes to show how much technology really has been changing.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
According to other sources it packs an AMD CPU, so let guessing begin if this is the first implementation of the Bobcat or if it's something more mundane like a die-shrunk Geode or an ULV Athlon M.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I always get confused when you say a low end laptop cost 800 bucks.

It is too late, we already have WP7, and Im definitely not looking forward to getting the viruses from hell on my phone.

G

htc shift is better and already released on 2008, 40gb/60gb hdd, and windows vista (upgradeable to win 7) and it have two oses windows vista and windows mobile 6

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Is the DOS version fully funcional with SoundBlaster emulation? I'd pay $666 in a hearbeat to play Duke Nukem 3D, Doom and Carmageddon.

raidenfox123

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
[citation][nom]rmmil978[/nom]The DOS version is a devilishly good deal...[/citation]
This one made me laugh =) Good way to start the day.

K33

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Ugh, Please. Who wants a phone with a keyboard when there are apps like slideIt which are so much more efficient. Unless it is for smaller users like Micky Mouse who I believe is learning to touch type.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Albyint[/nom]XPphone would be awesome, but why have a full OS like that and only have 8gb of memory? The expandable storage could be a saving grace if it were not limited to 16gb[/citation]
I have a 1st generation EEE PC with only 4 GB... 8 GB would be just fine for me. ;)

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Sweet, now my phone can join a Chinese bot-net and get viruses too, that's awesome![/citation]
Or you can implement the same desktop strategies for blocking spyware and viruses! With iOS and Android becoming more popular, you don't think hackers haven't taken notice and started exploiting them? Have we seen any decent solutions to protect your data (like we have for Windows OSes)?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]First MS 'revive' the Kin, now XP phone.Are they trying to cannibalise W7 phone?[/citation]
This wasn't made by MS and is not controlled at all by MS.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]K33[/nom]Ugh, Please. Who wants a phone with a keyboard when there are apps like slideIt which are so much more efficient. Unless it is for smaller users like Micky Mouse who I believe is learning to touch type.[/citation]
I prefer a keyboard, I like the feedback you get when you press the buttons. Just like your preference is SlideIt type programs my preference is a physical keyboard.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]kikireeki[/nom]I think it is too late!![/citation]
I'm sorry you think it is too late, for me it is the only phone to use a full OS. This means I could use all my standard programs with it... or plug in a usb keyboard and mouse with a hub to easily take notes on. I wouldn't need a "mobile" version of my software to use things, and I'd have a world of Open Source to develop on. Full web browser? I know the EVO almost has it, but I got the Epic so I'm still in limbo for flash. (Why use flash with HTML 5???? One, most sites I use haven't switched over. Two, I use a bus tracker with google maps - getting a live feed in freezing cold weather would be nice... it use to work with Dolphin HD until the last update.)

My only wish? Wacom digitizer and penabled pen. That would make it my perfect device. However, depending on what carriers I can use this on in the US, I may just pay early termination and get it. No more netbook + cellphone... just cellphone that equals a netbook.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]I prefer a keyboard, I like the feedback you get when you press the buttons. Just like your preference is SlideIt type programs my preference is a physical keyboard.[/citation]
I went with Epic because of the physical keyboard. Sure, I like to use Swype also - but there is two reasons for the physical keyboard:

One, when I use the browser I get to use the entire screen while inputing info (same for office docs and notes, which in some cases is a pain when reduced to a 1/3 sliver of the screen).

Two, when my Omnia touch screen started going, using certain letters became a pain (rotate the phone, press a letter, rotate back type 7 more, rotate to type 3 more, accidentally hit send.... crap!... oh, now I can't dial a "9"?!? Double crap!). Having a backup is nice. If my touchscreen goes, at least I can still dial... and since it is capacitive, when my fingers are too cold to register in winter, I can still dial! :)

Still, I know most don't like physical keyboards. Glad they have so many choices... and I'm glad we keyboard lovers still have a few.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]First MS 'revive' the Kin, now XP phone.Are they trying to cannibalise W7 phone?[/citation]

Other than the OS, what does MS have to do with this phone? (The people making the phone can hardly stick vista or Win7 on it)

G

nothing like a phone that is succeptable to EVERY virus ever created

unempit

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Mid 1990s technology being an AMD Geode LX 800 running about 600 mhz. I wonder how many people out there are wondering what DOS means. Ah the good old days of Edlin.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
What is the processor used, (CPU and GPU)?
This is important.

What do I see, win xp phone: uses windows phone 7.
tomshardware, these are two different operating systems.
You stupid journalists are spreading lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.