the process 'system' is hogging the cpu

PHi!

On my newly installed HP Omnibook 900b PIII - 128Mb Ram ( Win XP sp2 +
Norton AV 8.1) the process 'system' (Not the process 'System idle') is
constantly using 40-60% cpu even though I have no apps are started.

--
// Johan L

Linköping / Sweden

"Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Correct me if I'm wrong but "System Idle Processes" is the amount of CPU
> available for your computer to run tasks that typically only run when the
> computer is idle, such as disk indexing.
>
> Refer to the following link for more info, and please can people stop
> blaming everything and anything on spyware and malware...It seems that
> anytime someone doesn't know what a process is or what it's doing they
> immediately jump on the bandwagon of "it's a virus!"
>
> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win2000/Q_20798928.html
>
> p.s. Admittedly for my above comment the process of scvhost.exe is a
> malignant process that purports to be or closely resembles a true windows
> service.

Had you bothered to read the post before responding to it with a
non-sequitur you would have realized that the OP specifically said that
he/she was *not* referring to System Idle.

I recently reinstalled Win XP sp2 on my HP Omnibook 4150b PIII - 512Mb RAM
and have the same issue. I have scanned with Norton Antivirus 2005, AdAware,
and Spybot S&D and have found no significant problems. I did remove what
minor things were discovered but 'system' process continues to consume
resources. Any advice would be appreciated.

"Johan L" wrote:

> PHi!
>
> On my newly installed HP Omnibook 900b PIII - 128Mb Ram ( Win XP sp2 +
> Norton AV 8.1) the process 'system' (Not the process 'System idle') is
> constantly using 40-60% cpu even though I have no apps are started.
>
> --
> // Johan L
>
> Linköping / Sweden

Seems to me that We have exactly the same problem. When I Boot up the
computer everything works just fine but after a while the process 'system' is
eating up most of the cpu time - even though I dont touch or do anything with
the machine after pressing the power on button.

The guys at HP must be aware of this 'bug' I think. I'll try to post this
issue at hp.com and hopfully they'll have a solution for us soon.

My guess is that it's some HW driver that's not SP2 compatible.

If I hear anything from HP, I'll let you know!

Regs. Johan

"Jason W" wrote:

> I recently reinstalled Win XP sp2 on my HP Omnibook 4150b PIII - 512Mb RAM
> and have the same issue. I have scanned with Norton Antivirus 2005, AdAware,
> and Spybot S&D and have found no significant problems. I did remove what
> minor things were discovered but 'system' process continues to consume
> resources. Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> "Johan L" wrote:
>
> > PHi!
> >
> > On my newly installed HP Omnibook 900b PIII - 128Mb Ram ( Win XP sp2 +
> > Norton AV 8.1) the process 'system' (Not the process 'System idle') is
> > constantly using 40-60% cpu even though I have no apps are started.
> >
> > --
> > // Johan L
> >
> > Linköping / Sweden

LOL!

And some peopele even don't now that theres a process called 'system' they
just keep on reffering to 'system idle'.....mabye their ridin' the bandwagon?

;-)

"Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:

> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Correct me if I'm wrong but "System Idle Processes" is the amount of CPU
> > available for your computer to run tasks that typically only run when the
> > computer is idle, such as disk indexing.
> >
> > Refer to the following link for more info, and please can people stop
> > blaming everything and anything on spyware and malware...It seems that
> > anytime someone doesn't know what a process is or what it's doing they
> > immediately jump on the bandwagon of "it's a virus!"
> >
> > http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win2000/Q_20798928.html
> >
> > p.s. Admittedly for my above comment the process of scvhost.exe is a
> > malignant process that purports to be or closely resembles a true windows
> > service.
> >

> Had you bothered to read the post before responding to it with a
> non-sequitur you would have realized that the OP specifically said that
> he/she was *not* referring to System Idle.

jeffrey

Distinguished
May 4, 2001

Hi,

Have you checked for spyware/adware? They are usually the culprit in these
cases

Jeff

"Johan L" <JohanL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> PHi!
>
> On my newly installed HP Omnibook 900b PIII - 128Mb Ram ( Win XP sp2 +
> Norton AV 8.1) the process 'system' (Not the process 'System idle') is
> constantly using 40-60% cpu even though I have no apps are started.
>
> --
> // Johan L
>
> Linköping / Sweden

My utmost apologies :|