The Razer Blade is a Stunning New 17" Gaming Laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Burodsx[/nom]Someone posted a hilarious (but true) article on reddit in regards to what you can buy INSTEAD of this laptop. http://i.imgur.com/wTTck.png[/citation]

Apples to oranges much?

Compare laptops or GTFO. There's no sense in making a comparison like this when you're talking about completely different form factors.

On that note, this price will be worth it IF:
They make the proc a quad-core
They raise the HDD capacity to 500gb
They add a mic port (notice how it's not next to the headphones!?)

These are all things that the 17" Macbook Pro has for $200-300 cheaper. Granted, the price for the Blade is MSRP, so it will probably come down to that price. I don't really care about an SSD because it will be too small and cost too much and it won't really matter after the game has loaded.

As far as ripping off Apple goes, it's about time. Seriously, PC laptops have been painfully ugly and very, very few companies use aluminum to make laptops. Just think of it like the evil twin... macbook pros don't come in black :D

di general

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]quality and speed cost money....[/citation]

what speed? there are plenty of gaming laptops on the market that have more power and cost have as much and are of great quality, with warranty to boot.

G

It seems to me that almost everyone that has commented so far is only looking at the hardware aspect, but not the form factor or its intended market. It clearly states in the article that this was designed for PORTABLE gaming which is why the GT555M is used as it can provide very much playable framerates at high settings for most games without generating ridiculous amounts of heat while maintaing a respectable battery life. And by using Nvidia Optimus, it is possible to use the integrated HD3000 graphics for 5+ hrs for word processing at the same time. This isn't a contest to see who has the best hardware, but rather who addresses their intended market the best. The fact that Apple remains to be so successful is proof of this fact.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]On that note, this price will be worth it IF:They make the proc a quad-core
They raise the HDD capacity to 500gb
They add a mic port (notice how it's not next to the headphones!?)
[/citation]
First of all, the processor even if quad-core, the price is NOT worth it. Second of all, the GPU is horrible for it's price; even for laptops. No way a laptop with THAT GPU will be worth it on a $2000+ laptop. Third of all, for higher specs and 500gb, I can get a gaming laptop with slightly faster CPU, same GPU, same RAM and same storage for $1300 at iBuyPower. In fact, with $2800, you can get a laptop with the HD6990M, 750gb HDD, and the i7 2920XM (2.3 ghz quad-core overclockable).

gmp23

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
You're going to leave out an optical drive, only give it a 320gb hard drive, and market this thing as a gaming laptop? SMH. That will fill up faster than you can bat an eye. I expected a lot more considering intel and razer collaborated together on this thing. For 2800 bucks you should have a blu ray player and 3D support. Razer is going to make a HUGE deal about how the PC is not dead and get our hopes up for something awesome and then pull this? They seriously kind of embarrassed the entire PC community. This thing is a FAILURE. Not to be too negative :p

rahulkadukar

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Alienware M18X get the base config and add

1. Dual 6990M in CrossFire. It will be cheaper at $2499.
2. To make it better add a i7 2720 which is a quad core processor price now becomes $2649.

There is no need for 8GB RAM if this is a gaming laptop. The Alienware is larger (18 inches), faster and has a numpad. I dont remember the last time I looked at my keypad while gaming.

This looks like an Apple laptop :)

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
I bought this DV6 which is roughly comparable to this Razor for < $1100, so they want all that extra money for slightly better CPU and that touch sensitive key/screen stuff? Doesn't make much sense. But then it probably is for people who have none in the first place, and more money to content with :p

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
The GT 555M would be sufficient for current gen games on a lower resolution screen like 1366x768 but at 1920x1080 it's gonna hurt, real bad, and if you don't run an LCD at its native resolution you're doing it wrong.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]di general[/nom]what speed? there are plenty of gaming laptops on the market that have more power and cost have as much and are of great quality, with warranty to boot.[/citation]
and how much do they weigh? dude, this laptop has everything someone could need and is very good looking

gilamonsterz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Again, as JSP6 and others have said, people comparing this to Alienware, etc. are leaving out the fact that this is a "high end" gaming laptop with the form factor of a Macbook. I have a 17" Toshiba laptop for gaming, roughly the same performance, and the cost was way less. But the thing weighs damn near 20 pounds and is about 2" thick. This would be amazingly more convenient to carry around campus and use for productivity in classes, something I have a hard time with on my Toshiba.
If you look in to it, Razer had a horrible time trying to find a manufacturer who could build to the specs they wanted. Marketing studies and focus groups kept telling them that they should be making another big, cheap gaming monster like everybody else. But Razer said no, and came up with this.

mayu

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
looks just like MacBook Pro the hinge, how keyboard sinks in the back except for the little screen on the keyboard and its black!

bobbyp86

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Razer don't make budget hardware so I don't see how the price came as such a shock.

It's probably the finest mobile gaming system available. There'll be plenty of people that earn a big salary but spend most of their time on the road/ on a plane/ train that would want one of these but of course it's not for the mass market.

mayu

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
looks just like MacBook Pro the hinge, how keyboard sinks in the back except for the little screen on the keyboard and its black!

G

Wow... the price is stupidly high.
It's a 'high-end gaming laptop'?
Please...

It it's gpu is a mid-range one as far as laptops go, and the cpu is dual core.
Begging your pardon but Sager based laptops in US configured with GTX 560M and 2630QM (quad core) and same amount of ram costs less than $2000.

Rip-off (big time).

And why oh WHY are they placing 2GB of VRAM onto the gpu?
It will never use that much.
A high-end mobile gpu might reach 1GB, but over that?
No.
Unless of course the gpu would be used for 3d rendering... but which software today supports rendering out of the box?
3d Studio Max sure doesn't.

G

you morons who complain about SSD . .. . derrr just buy one and put it in yourself. if you're stupid enough to spend this much, you're stupid enough to purchase MORE.

kristoffe

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 15, 2010
what is nice about overpriced stuff is that someone somewhere will make it cheaper and almost as good for 50% the price in under 6 months. This has nice ideas, forward thinking, much more than old industrial design college student 'future look'. The apple macbook pro looks like a commercial level refrigerator, and for some people not brainwashed into that look, with less than needed keys for most apps, and reduction ad infinitum, no thanks.

it's the golden dildo of the middle east, but we can pick it apart and learn from it. hopefully some rich moron will damage it, and ask for the repair cost, decide on buying a newer model at $4000, and a techie gets it for free. ;)

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]Whoever made this comic obviously dosnt know computer hardware. I'm looking at a ~$1000 hardware refresh next year, but I could beat those specs with current parts and prices with $1000, much less nearing $3000[/citation]
No you couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.