The Razer Blade is a Stunning New 17" Gaming Laptop

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Not even apple would stoop so low as to add such a high price markup on what is the equivalent to a $1000 laptop.

This trend has been going for years. for non gaming lower cost systems, apple has a higher price markup. but when it comes to prebuilt gaming PC's (desktop and laptop); PC has a price markup that can sometimes be multiple times the cost of the system.

G

I guess they are charging a premium for the portability because the specs are awful for that price. $2800 for a dual core cpu, GT555 and 320gb HD, seriously? You can get an Alienware or Asus with much better specs cheaper. I wouldn't call this a gaming laptop at all.

halcyon

Splendid

I think this design is about compromise between aesthetics, portability, and performance. I surmise that may be why we don't see a quad-core i5/i7 and a higher-end GPU.

However, I'd not be willing to pay $2800 for a dual-core machine that offers a nice design and a good GPU when I could get a 17" MacBook Pro with a quad-core that would game well enough to meet my casual needs for that price, have a higher resolution screen, and at least be metal. ...and if I don't mind carrying around a monstrous slab of cheep looking/feeling plastic Alienware and Asus can beat the specs and the price.

TechnoBowl

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
2799 isn't that bad. I'm still not sold on SSD though. Price per gigabyte is still pretty crappy. Adding a 300 GB SSD for example (going on newegg here) would add roughly another 550 dollars to the price.

Not bad though. For basically 2800, I'd love to see what I could build for a desktop.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
From the ad it looks impressive, I'll give them that.

Honestly, I thought it was a dual touch screen laptop and I got all excited. But then I saw their stupid-ass LCD keyboard they advertised a few months back (but in a laptop this time). Wasn't impressed then, and I'm not impressed now.

Plus, renderings ALWAYS look better than the actual product. I've been fooled before.

drakepandor

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
razortowrists 08/28/2011 7:35 AM

Hide

Insert quote.Report-1+

of course they dont mention the integrated battery...
stupid laptop that would last about 10 seconds when gaming, and more expensive than alienware.
PC GAMING ISNT DEAD, AND TO PROVE IT WE HAVE THIS EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE LAPTOP THAT WILL REQUIRE YOU TO BE PLUGGED INTO AN OUTLET!
quote]

They did mention the battery during the actual panel at PAX. The battery lasts 6.5 hours on idle/light use and 2.5 hours at full gaming load. That was another one of the main points they made in their panel, you can buy faster systems but they are not overly portable as they are heavy and thick. The systems that are faster than this system in addition to being larger, also have 1/4 of the battery life. Try to find another gaming laptop that will give you 2.5 hours of gaming load, quite a few of them have under 30 minutes.

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
It's just like the Voodoo Envy 133 was. A company beats apple at their own game and no one wants it, because the market for these sorts of products (ultralight, well built, decent components) is already obsessed with Apple and not interested in windows alternatives.

Those that want good build quality, mobility, (possibly) decent battery life when not gaming, and components good enough to handle most games and any office tasks will just buy the Apple product, because it already does that, they've heard of it, and they don't look for alternatives. Those that want a high-performance windows laptop for gaming that has a lot of power but also a lot of weight and about zero battery life will buy one of the many laptops in that market.

This sort of product will only sell to the very few people like myself. I like the form factor, mobility, and build quality, but I have an unending hatred for Apple products (mostly due to macOS but also due to how ugly I find their designs.) For me, it's great (assuming I had the money, of course). It's has everything I like about an apple pc, but none of the absolutely horrid downsides that come with the apple version. Most people that would be interested in this sort of product don't hate apple/macOS, or don't follow tech enough to know that it exists. Too bad really, I'd love to see more products in this category, but it's unlikely to succeed. Hope I can put together the money to buy one before it vanishes like the Voodoo did.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Wow... people really are just finding reasons to compain arnt they. First the optical drive is only needed for consol gaming, any one arguing otherwise is a consol gamer, or has no broadband (in which case I doubt he would be considering this product), the HDD is fine as it is. I prefer switching out the harddrive as soon as I get a notebook any how. It saves me from needing to make a backup, and its much cheaper then getting it as a factory upgrade.

as for the form factor complaints... really? its a 17inch notebook, thats an inch thick, and its for gaming. if this was out 4 years ago you guys would be all going crazy, but now it sounds like people here are all jaded, and have no appreciation about the effert and enginering that went into this.

Take an Econ course people, learn what trade-off is, or stop complaining.

oneblackened

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]$2,800 for a 555GT?..lol It should have an Apple on it.[/citation]
considering for almost $1000 less you can get a 560M on an Asus.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]AnUnusedUsername[/nom]It's just like the Voodoo Envy 133 was. A company beats apple at their own game and no one wants it, because the market for these sorts of products (ultralight, well built, decent components) is already obsessed with Apple and not interested in windows alternatives.Those that want good build quality, mobility, (possibly) decent battery life when not gaming, and components good enough to handle most games and any office tasks will just buy the Apple product, because it already does that, they've heard of it, and they don't look for alternatives. Those that want a high-performance windows laptop for gaming that has a lot of power but also a lot of weight and about zero battery life will buy one of the many laptops in that market.This sort of product will only sell to the very few people like myself. I like the form factor, mobility, and build quality, but I have an unending hatred for Apple products (mostly due to macOS but also due to how ugly I find their designs.) For me, it's great (assuming I had the money, of course). It's has everything I like about an apple pc, but none of the absolutely horrid downsides that come with the apple version. Most people that would be interested in this sort of product don't hate apple/macOS, or don't follow tech enough to know that it exists. Too bad really, I'd love to see more products in this category, but it's unlikely to succeed. Hope I can put together the money to buy one before it vanishes like the Voodoo did.[/citation]

+1

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Ah- finally hardware worthy of a 2700-dollar pricetag.So when I see people walking around with new 17" Macbook Pros, I can give them an equivalent machine that's actually worth the pricetag in hardware (other than a GTX 580M, that is) and looks and feels better.[/citation]

I'm glad they are raising the bar, better competition for Apple means better products for all of us. I have issue with it's 65Wh battery - the Pro 17" has a 95Wh battery which is ~32% more battery life. They also put a 750GB HDD in the Pro, it doesn't take up more room, I wonder why the base is 320GB on the Razer. I think the touchpad is fantastic though!

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]AnUnusedUsername[/nom]It's just like the Voodoo Envy 133 was. A company beats apple at their own game and no one wants it, because the market for these sorts of products (ultralight, well built, decent components) is already obsessed with Apple and not interested in windows alternatives.Those that want good build quality, mobility, (possibly) decent battery life when not gaming, and components good enough to handle most games and any office tasks will just buy the Apple product, because it already does that, they've heard of it, and they don't look for alternatives. Those that want a high-performance windows laptop for gaming that has a lot of power but also a lot of weight and about zero battery life will buy one of the many laptops in that market.This sort of product will only sell to the very few people like myself. I like the form factor, mobility, and build quality, but I have an unending hatred for Apple products (mostly due to macOS but also due to how ugly I find their designs.) For me, it's great (assuming I had the money, of course). It's has everything I like about an apple pc, but none of the absolutely horrid downsides that come with the apple version. Most people that would be interested in this sort of product don't hate apple/macOS, or don't follow tech enough to know that it exists. Too bad really, I'd love to see more products in this category, but it's unlikely to succeed. Hope I can put together the money to buy one before it vanishes like the Voodoo did.[/citation]

First of all Kudos to Razer for executing a great idea. It looks polished and well thought out.

Most people who are buying Macbooks (Pro/Air) don't game as much as the readers and contributors to this forum. I was quite pleasantly surprised when I saw the specs for the Razer Blade. It's great that Razer upped the competition - This is a great product, as a 1.0 it could use some adjusting to specs (HDD and battery size) but is a great idea that is executed well and looks good. I hope Dell and ASUS take note!

On a complete aside: I want to ask you if you have ever used Apple Laptops/desktops/OS and dislike them for some inherent reason or just hate it because it's affiliated with evil Apple?

rohitbaran

Distinguished
It is neat looking, but the specs are a real letdown. These aren't the specs of any serious gaming laptop. Nothing less than GTX560M should be in there. In fact, for the asking price, a GTX580M would be acceptable.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
A "gaming" laptop? Oh please. Real gamers don't play online FPS games on a laptop, or wireless.

Plus, really? These specs?

- 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Memory
- Nvidia GeForce GT 555M with Nvidia Optimus Technology

I would prefer 8GB of 2000MHz memory for my taste, and at LEAST a GeForce 580 for the supposed CryTek 4 engine that may come out.

$2,800? No thanks. For that price, get the same Desktop for $1,200 from CyberPowerPC (OS not included), that's with a GeForce 560 Ti. If you need portability, get a DROID and learn how to remotely login to you computer from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.