The Razer Blade is a Stunning New 17" Gaming Laptop

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Awesome name and looks, but that's personal opinion. I agree with giving it an SSD since it is a mobile laptop. In order to make it less than an inch thick, there had to be trade-offs and it is first generation. Let's see if it sells enough for a better, second gen-system.

Enough with the preview, I want the benchmarks and reviews!

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Prateek Gupta[/nom]Only 320 GB HDD ?? Very less[/citation]
While it wouldn't cost much more to make that a 750GB 7200RPM drive they likely figure that folks are going to replace it with their choice of SSD anyways. I certainly would.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
The whole point of this laptop is gaming on the go. It's not meant to replace a $1500 gaming PC. Anyone who can drop $2500+ on a gaming laptop would most likely (if not retarded) have a gaming PC for when they're at home. There are many times when you want to game on the go, especially for mobile working class people (Business trips, military deployment on down time, etc etc). Now, I hate that they gave this thing a 555 video card, but I at least understand WHY they did it. They could have kept the price the same or cheaper, and added a beefier gpu (or duel GPUs) but then the laptop would HAVE to be thick and heavy (like SAGAR 17" beasts). They are trying to compromise on weight, size and gaming performance. I think this product is a good deal for gamers on the go and don't want to carry the full sized 5" thick 15lb beasts. But anyone who would buy this as their primary gaming machine would be retarded lol.

Also, though I did laugh at the concept of the reditt comic, I also laughed at the $2800 build with shit 560's in SLI. What a piece of crap "fantasy build"

But as I stated at the top, the point of this thing is gaming on the go. No one wants to carry a full desktop, monitor, keyboard, mouse on a 2 week business conference. So it's a good deal, but only to a specific group of customers.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]The whole point of this laptop is gaming on the go. It's not meant to replace a $1500 gaming PC. Anyone who can drop $2500+ on a gaming laptop would most likely (if not retarded) have a gaming PC for when they're at home. There are many times when you want to game on the go, especially for mobile working class people (Business trips, military deployment on down time, etc etc). Now, I hate that they gave this thing a 555 video card, but I at least understand WHY they did it. They could have kept the price the same or cheaper, and added a beefier gpu (or duel GPUs) but then the laptop would HAVE to be thick and heavy (like SAGAR 17" beasts). They are trying to compromise on weight, size and gaming performance. I think this product is a good deal for gamers on the go and don't want to carry the full sized 5" thick 15lb beasts. But anyone who would buy this as their primary gaming machine would be retarded lol.Also, though I did laugh at the concept of the reditt comic, I also laughed at the $2800 build with shit 560's in SLI. What a piece of crap "fantasy build"But as I stated at the top, the point of this thing is gaming on the go. No one wants to carry a full desktop, monitor, keyboard, mouse on a 2 week business conference. So it's a good deal, but only to a specific group of customers.[/citation]

This might also be an only machine for those with reasonable gaming requirements that want to include portability in their capabilities. Everyone doesn't need SLI or 700 fps to play WoW or Candyland, for some 650 fps will do. However, while it includes a VERY VERY VERY fast dual-core i7, I don't really comprehend why something of an i7 2820QM isn't used. If it increased the cost some (which I don't think would be necessary, but we'll give Razer the benefit of the doubt) then fine.

G

Sweet looking chassis but...BUT!!!!

....A dual core with only 320GB and a flipping 1920 * 1080 screen (why not 1920*1200) for $2800 ?
....seriously?.... Did they really do any market research ?

The PC Gaming Enthusiasts I dare say , prefer building their own gaming rigs and to reiterate what was said in an earlier post , persons who can afford $2800 for a laptop have little time for gaming ...

Love the idea ..Hate the price!!!!

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Don't forget that a lot of the readers on THG are quite young...you can't blame them for acting that way.[/citation]
Actually anyone buying a "gaming laptop" over it's form and/or looks instead of it's capibilities is the foolish one. If you're going to spend this kind of money on a portable gaming rig, then get one that will play games on high settings for at least a couple of years and not 6 - 12 months. Otherwise buy one of the 15.6" Asus models, at 1/3rd the price. Smaller and about the same weight.

theranish

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]for that price, you can build a desktop gaming PC with the fastest parts available and it would still be cheaper than that laptop.and with the left over money, you can make it portable by buying a large backpack where you can stuff a large UPS in, along with the pc case, and be creative with the monitor, speakers, mouse, and keyboard[/citation]
That is how it has ALWAYS been with comparison to laptops and PC's, how is this new?

theranish

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
[citation][nom]Nightsilver[/nom]Alienware's been doing the overpriced laptop thing for YEARS, and Razer hails this as the savior of PC gaming?[/citation]
Alienware has been priced for gaming for YEARS, not overpriced. If it was overpriced then people wouldn't be buying it. I SWEAR all you children who cry OVERPRICE to sometihng doesn't get the consept and is why most of you will be sticking with your blackfriday emachines expecting it to rub your nuts while playing Battlefield 3 and when it doesn't complain about the product.

Just because something is a lot of money, which alienware is alot of money, does not mean it is overpriced. They are "Highend" luxury items, some people can afford it and do buy it, some people can afford it but cannot justify it, some people cannot buy it but try/wish they could, and other cannot buy it nore would want to. Just because you don't fit in the catigory that would want it for said reasons above doesn't mean it is overpriced.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Azn Cracker[/nom]cut the price in half, add an ssd, and ill buy it[/citation]

which is exactly the reason your probably using and will always be using a Celeron quality CPU/Laptop.

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Guys, you don't have to be so negative.

Granted, 2.8k for this laptop is hell of a lot. I can find better laptop gaming replacements for around 1/2 the price. And many incredible options pop up once you hit the 2k range.

However, I have never seen another laptop that look this good. People say Apple stuff looks sleek?? This is in another league.

And to be honest with you, if I had 2.8k right now, I will not hesitate to drop it on this laptop. I believe they have the right combo here. Alienware tries to do this with their gaming machines, and even Asus with their ROG line, but they look like crap compared to this.

halcyon

Splendid
There are a lot of complaints about price here, I see. However, now all products are geared towards the middle-class. There are many people that would find $2,800 negligible to get a machine that offers the compromise of design, weight, and performance that this unit offers.

$2,800 is not a lot of money for everyone.

esupan

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Toms has stated for as long as I can remember in their "Best CPU for your money" articles that as far as gaming is concerned, other than braging rights, there is very little to gain for the cost moving up to an i7 from an i5. Is this still true with mobile processors and/or the SB linup or is it truely worth it in this case?

Before anyone says anything about price/luxery items, unless you are wiping your but with $100 bills, people don't like to waste money for the most part. If the proccessor price can be knocked down by $150, hold on to 95% of the performance and add an SSD I think more people would go for this.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
beautiful toy, however, a monstrous FAIL for not including an SSD Drive for OS deployment.

and note for all those 17" bricks of the past that contained 2 hdd's inside, WHY AREN'T you putting SSD + HDD today? /UnbelievableRant.

bloodlust22

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]$2,800 for a 555GT?..lol It should have an Apple on it.[/citation]

I agree. You can get a i7 Sager with SLI topend graphics and huge HD with SSD for less. This computer with those specs shouldn't cost more then $1300-$1400. If that keypad brings the price up that much, then they can keep it. I have a feeling this computer won't be around long.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Now, this is a gaming PC I wish I could get if the price is not an issue and I don't game that much.

A product so beautiful or well designed like this one shows the passion of their creators and I respect that. It shows you don't need to copy any "A" company to produce an original appealing product.

Is not cheap, but overpriced? I need a good review to judge that. Specifically I want a review on the LCD because it needs to be really great.

I know, we all know, we could find a laptop with the same specs for less. But it wont be the same either.

Maybe a version with a lower i7 processor, less video memory and 4 GBs of ram could lower the price to make it more affordable for more potential buyers.

AppleBlowsDonkeyBalls

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Wait... what?

For $2800 it should have a 256GB Corsair M4 SSD, they should ditch the crappy right portion and put a keypad there, change out the Core i7-2640M for a Core i7-2720QM, and ditch the 128-bit GT 555M for the 192-bit version since it won't consume any noticeable amount more power and will bring a 10% performance boost.

As of now, total suckage for the price.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]There are a lot of complaints about price here, I see. However, now all products are geared towards the middle-class. There are many people that would find $2,800 negligible to get a machine that offers the compromise of design, weight, and performance that this unit offers. $2,800 is not a lot of money for everyone.[/citation]

Just because someone can afford a $2800 gaming notebook, doesn't mean that they should just go out and spend it on anything. If you comparison shop, you'll see that Toshiba and Asus both have notebooks that are more powerful and less expensive. This Razor notebook as well as most Alienware models are for people who value form over function or are foolish with their money, no matter what their income.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Sweet looking, but WAY overpiced.

Razor has a reputation for majorly inlfating it's prices, without the quality to justify the high price. Look on Amazon at any given Razor product and you will see how spotty their quality is.

NOTHING in the specs or aesthetics can justify that high price tag, sorry Razor.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
From Sager:

NP5172 with:
17.3" 1920x1080 screen
i7 2630QM (I know, not identical, but the #s are close)
8GB 1333MHz RAM
320 GB 7200 RPM HD
NVidia 555M

$1,120

Am I missing something, or is Razer out of their minds?

Status
Not open for further replies.