The reason Apple moves to AMD GPUs from NVIDIA's

G

Hi,
It seems Apple just refreshed its Macbook Pro lineup. I know since 2011 they moved to AMD Radeon GPUs and just curious
what is the reason?
Is this a licensing reason for switching graphics that might need x86 license? I personally dont think so 'Cause NVIDIA already
has plenty of these switchable graphics between intel's and GFs systems.
I couldn't find the exact reason to moving to AMD GPUs.
Thank you.

Solution
Hi,
It seems Apple just refreshed its Macbook Pro lineup. I know since 2011 they moved to AMD Radeon GPUs and just curious
what is the reason?
Is this a licensing reason for switching graphics that might need x86 license? I personally dont think so 'Cause NVIDIA already
Thank you.

1) Money is always one of the reason
2) Power consumption.... Apple is very particular about battery life. Battery life is more important than small difference in performance. You dont see kick ass graphics on Apple Mac Books.
3) Availability
4) Corporate or business politics. Apple is a high maintenance customer and...
G

Companies like Sapphire and PowerColor are AMD partners I think just like Galaxy and ZOTAC and other partners of NVIDIA
You can find them on NVIDIA's page

xcomvic

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

If by "cheaping out" you mean that they cost less in money AND in power while producing if not surpassing in performance then yes sir you are correct:)

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
alot of factors will come into it.

as its a notebook battery life has a big part. and because the MBP's are a "Premimum" product if its costs 20% more but gets 20% better power efficency then im sure its prob worth it for them.

Cost, Power Consumption, Performance, Physical Size & im sure other factors will end up making the decision sway from one to the other.

I'm not saying ATI is better at ALL of those things but better at what APPLE is looking for in a GPU solution right now.

leon2006

Distinguished
Hi,
what is the reason?
Thank you.

1) Money is always one of the reason
2) Power consumption.... Apple is very particular about battery life. Battery life is more important than small difference in performance. You dont see kick ass graphics on Apple Mac Books.
3) Availability
4) Corporate or business politics. Apple is a high maintenance customer and there is no "Sacred Cows" w/ respect to its supplier. That is all supplier including CPU. Don't be surprise to see Mac Book (low end) running on ARM base architecture in the future. When the QUAD Core ARM comes out that's a strong possibility.... This is just to state a point on how APPLE manage its suppliers.

Most of these are done at corporate level discussion and never made public.

Solution