The Road to Fermi: A Look Back on News Leaks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Wouldn't it be ironic if so many people were waiting for Fermi to come out before buying a new ATI card, that it causes a market stampede, overwhelming the supply and forces prices higher instead of lower?[/citation]A lot of invidia's fan's are too devoted to buy anything else. If they can't afford it immediately, they'll wait.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I was waiting for the FERMI. Got fed up with the delays. Retired my 9800 GTX and replaced it with a Sapphire ATI HD 5850. I can honestly say that I am not worried about if the FERMI will be better or whatever. The 5850 lived up to my expectations amd hasn't disappointed me.

e-rock

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I've owned both cards through out the years, and I must say Nvidia Has lost this one. But then Nvidia Lovers and Nay sayers wont be hearing any of it.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Fermi will make the benchmarking crowd happy as new records will be set.

Fermi will make a good portion of the gaming crowd unhappy and disappointed because the hype has it made it impossible to live up to its expectation.

I'll be waiting for ATI's Fermi killer.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
am i the only one here , that thinsk tom's ahrdware is paid off by nvidia .... i eman seriously no oen gave ashit about 1000 box image articles or price speculation articles motnhs before it's reelase , i certianly don't give a rats monkeya bout an atrtical tath recaps teh fact that you gave nicvida bunch of free publicity yet gave ati nothign any where near such "red carpet" treatment ... after this fermi debacle with tom's i have totally lost any bit of respect for this new outlet that i had left ...

jane is stil cool , but the rest of you guys are douches

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]am i the only one here , that thinsk tom's ahrdware is paid off by nvidia .... i eman seriously no oen gave ashit about 1000 box image articles or price speculation articles motnhs before it's reelase , i certianly don't give a rats monkeya bout an atrtical tath recaps teh fact that you gave nicvida bunch of free publicity yet gave ati nothign any where near such "red carpet" treatment ... after this fermi debacle with tom's i have totally lost any bit of respect for this new outlet that i had left ... jane is stil cool , but the rest of you guys are douches[/citation]

If your really going to complain about all the free publicity Nvidia has gotten you might as well start with semiaccurate because Charlie D has given out more free publicity to Nvidia than anyone possible least we forget the age ole saying any publicity is good publicity.

shreeharsha

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]these r leaked benchmarks.GTX480 is the clear winner !!! I d like to see GTX480 vs 5970 benchmarks !!!http://news.softpedia.com/news/GTX [...] 8123.shtml[/citation]

it's not vs 5970, it's vs 5870. Against 5970, GTX480 will pee inside itself & there will be shot circuit on the PCB & your Lamborghini will become a toilet with 2 stylish doors..... LOL....

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
That can't be them all surely, they seemed to go on forever and a day and with at least one story per day for the last few weeks this list must be just a best of compilation. The sad thing is that this has now become a paper launch with no product available for weeks, 12th April is the last date I heard and that is when they expect product at their partners. Who knows how long it will take to distribute to retailers and then filter down to end users. Expect to pay high premiums to obtain one of the first cards, and learn to have a little patience while you wait for it to arrive. Maybe Tom's could do a little advent calender with peel backs for each day, and a picture of a different box in each window to ease the stress of waiting.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]shreeharsha[/nom]it's not vs 5970, it's vs 5870. Against 5970, GTX480 will pee inside itself & there will be shot circuit on the PCB & your Lamborghini will become a toilet with 2 stylish doors..... LOL....[/citation]

I'd be happy to get a 5970, but it seems to have been marked as 'out of stock' at newegg, pretty much, since it's release.

Does the GTX295 make the 5870 pee itself, too? I didn't know video cards had advanced enough to include the required biological systems to produce urine waste, but I guess if that is what is needed for a solid GPU these days, I'll just have to put a bucket behind my computer to keep the carpet dry.

[citation][nom]le beast[/nom]http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD [...] 8388.shtmlwell that's a bummer for people waiting for price cuts.[/citation]

Anyone who thought ATI would drop prices right away has not been into computing very long, or just can't remember recent history.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hundredislandsboy[/nom]Fermi will make the benchmarking crowd happy as new records will be set.Fermi will make a good portion of the gaming crowd unhappy and disappointed because the hype has it made it impossible to live up to its expectation. I'll be waiting for ATI's Fermi killer.[/citation]
Are you living in a shack somewhere? Fermi does not even TRY to take on ATI 5970, what "record" are you talking about?

jfem

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
[citation][nom]eekitsericc[/nom]i hope nVidia has something up there sleeves : )[/citation]
With all the publicity, I have a strange feeling that they have and TH is just keeping it undercover until the official launch.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]1337_b0i[/nom]This article is the last squeeze of hype for the Fermi?[/citation]

Yeah, after this squeeze it is just a little jiggle and Fermi will drop into the bowl, ready to be flushed and forgotten. Either that, or it just needs water cooling...

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sinny1[/nom]if these fermi gpu are as good as the nvidia dude said (the guy that did the benchmark) why nvidia did not let other people do the benchmarks before they release it? because if it is true and confirmed by "outsider source", more people will buy when it released, unless nvidia is hiding something...[/citation]

They are hiding the fact that in order to get the most out of the card (over voltage) you need to violate the PCI standard of 300W. And the fact you will need your own fusion generator to run the thing. However, if you run a desktop and vent the exhaust towards yourself, you won't need to run heat in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.