The Road to Fermi: A Look Back on News Leaks

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
The only thing missing is DirectX11, but I've yet to see a reason to upgrade because of it, or I would have put a 5970 on order-- but I'd rather avoid the whole repeat of the DirectX9 fiasco, which was the same situation. Everyone was pooping their pants for the hardware, then the games came out and they were unplayable on $300 cards.

[Read $300 nVidia cards]

Nvidia is still trying to play us for the fool. Read the specs on the Ion LE That's whats being put in all the Ion netbooks.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
[citation][nom]knowom[/nom]Very true of course the same can be said about benchmarks in general. AMD, Intel, and Nvidia have all been known to skew benchmark results to look good in their own favor on numerous occasions.As for SemiAccurate the name itself says it all what serious journalist would work for a site with a name like that and what sane person would actually believe all of their nonsense? I'd sooner believe someone that says they can communicate with ghosts than Charlie.[/citation]

To knowom:

I was skeptical about SemiAccurate too, at first, because Demerjian makes no bones about his dislike for Nvidia management.

But he has been consistently correct, at least on this story. Around last September (!) he was saying that real availability of Fermi would probably not be until April. He based this on a technical analysis of various insider info. As an EE with some board design experience (though not in this league), I found his discussions technically credible and persuasive. And as noted, his prediction has come true.

In contrast, none of his critics - including you - has put up an iota of technical sense opposing his. It's all just name-calling.

So yes, I now respect his opinion and will do so until I see evidence to the contrary. Got any?

those benchies are fake ;)

we already know that fermi is at least 10-15% faster than the 5870 :kaola:

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom][Read $300 nVidia cards][/citation]

Does your mother know you are trolling on the Internet again?

Anyway, they really hyped up the 9700 Pro as a performance solution for DirectX9. It was excellent in DirectX8, but stunk in 9. It was also $325-369 retail. Not that Nvidia had better offerings at the time, either.

Instead of rushing off to every thread about Nvidia products to spread your hatred of them, pick something like world peace or hunger to get upset about. People won't detect the troll, and you'll feel better about yourself later in life.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jennyh[/nom]When you have nothing...SPIN.[/citation]
You spin me right round, baby right round, like a record baby right round, round, round.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]It's 11:34AM on the Pacific coast, It's almost time for my lunch break and I would LOVE to spend it reading about Fermi... TOM's has a lot of different readers in different time zones, I think we need a countdown timer REALLY REALLY BAD!!!![/citation]
here here!

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
OvrClkr - I had heard that it was 5-10% but I have to say these looked legit.

spoofedpacket - Lets minimize the childish comments shall we.
The original comment I was responding to was in relation to the DX9 cards that didn't run DX10.

Status
Not open for further replies.