The Sky OC Is Falling: Asrock Removes Feature With BIOS Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
seem's like I brought this up in your first article announcing it how intel may look at this ??

''Intel is careful to allow overclocking only on its high-end processors, and has seemingly pressured motherboard manufacturers to help enforce this''

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/asrock-killed-overclocking-intel-skylake-nonk/#ixzz3zK9wid00
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

If a guy has it he may best hang on to whay ever valid copy/file/download he has of it - kind defeats the reason intel charges extra for a ''k'' chip and that don't fly

It's almost certain that Intel ordered them to stop. The CPU market is so bad right now that Intel in bickering with it's own board partners about value-added features and it's pathetic.

Zen cannot come soon enough.

NightHaveN

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
First, the user is not forced to update the bios. Something like the bios which may bring issues or even break your hardware should only be upgraded if you are getting something in return (stability, or OC).

Those new bios comes with the Intel 0x74 microcode which provide the prime fix for those having stability issues with their chips. I personally didn't have any.

NEW SKYLAKE BIOSes RELEASED INTEL 0x74 FIX

Those bioses are available in the regular release channels. Only beta unsupported bios had the Sky OC. It may be intentional, or Intel pressure. But no surprise supported bios lack the feature as they had done in the past.

But 2 important things to consider:

• ■ Still the beta OC images are available to download.
    ■ Until someone is brave enough to actually install a new bios (which lacks OC), and roll back to the old beta Sky OC one we will be able to point fingers at Intel microcode for blocking the hack.

NightHaveN

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
In my board the Asrock Z170M Extreme 4, apparently the new microcode landed in bios 1.40, with a revision labeled 1.50. The previous official version was 1.30. The betas with Sky OS were 1.32-1.35, which are still available for download if you choose the Beta section.

http://www.asrock.com.tw/support/download.asp?cat=BIOS

It is actually microcode revision 0x76. Not sure what it changes, I asked Intel, hoping to get an answer.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Can you say class action lawsuit?? Heavily advertising a feature to sell motherboards, only to take it away is asking for a lawsuit.

Possible. But sony did the same thing with there backwards compatibility on the first gen PS3. nothing every came of it.

Kyubii

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
Looks like its time to stock up on working bios updates that have k overclocking capabilities. That way when I do build my i3 6100 PC i still can.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
But when is the last time you ran into something CPU bound? I’ve had a 3930k for like three years now and while I can OC it to 4.3Ghz or so with no extra voltage it don’t do much if anything and I no longer bother. Wake me when there is a new CPU that is really noticeably faster not just a 8% bump in some benchmark.

NightHaveN

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

Not only that. Very likely microcode can not do reverse install and go back to an older one. So my suggestion is to get at least the motherboard ahead... like Now!

When I purchased mine this December, already had the latest official released bios. If you delay the purchase too much you may end up with one of those with the new bios and microcode already preinstalled.

all my asrocks came with first release bios on them no matter how long the boards been out , but if intel got a grip on that deal asrock may have to ship boards with newer bios that don't support the sky to satisfied intel rights or face legal action ?? time will tell and you never know ?

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
What you are saying is a "feature", I am calling a unapproved exploit of Intel's change in architecture on Skylake by the mobo makers. Large increases in BCLK I consider to be very dangerous as none of the parts of the CPU that are now getting o/ced are monitored for heat or protected from corruption of the data. Losing Windows due to a corrupt write to the SSD or hard drive or frying the CPU is very possible. Back to the old wild west days of frying chips and bare metal installs due to a bad o/c. I am glad Intel put a stop to this.

f-14

Distinguished
We can’t help but wonder what has prompted Asrock to remove this feature, but at this time we don’t have a definite answer. We speculating that it has something to do with an Intel policy. We have reached out to both Intel and Asrock for comments but have not received a reply at this time.
you already know. read your own past articles
intel did this on purpose hence the roll out of the K series cpu's

the asus/asrock split must have caused alot of loss of people who knew about this 'overclock' agreement they had with intel

Johnpombrio
What you are saying is a "feature", I am calling a unapproved exploit of Intel's change in architecture on Skylake by the mobo makers. Large increases in BCLK I consider to be very dangerous as none of the parts of the CPU that are now getting o/ced are monitored for heat or protected from corruption of the data. Losing Windows due to a corrupt write to the SSD or hard drive or frying the CPU is very possible. Back to the old wild west days of frying chips and bare metal installs due to a bad o/c. I am glad Intel put a stop to this.

i'm glad you don't own or like muscle cars either stick to teenie booper girlie stock vw slugbugs i don't even know why you read anything about overclocking, that marxist attitude isn't tech enthusiats typically have unless they are apple employees

hardcoreskates

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
seems intel and asrock just pwnd the geek community. think of all the free publicity that both companies have received, and are gonna receive outta this. the whole "non k overclock" thing was a marketing ploy from the get go.

"ohs no... i'm gonna have to leave the basement, get a job and pony up an extra $50.00 for a "k" cpu in my $600.00 budget build... BWAAAA!"

Many miles away, a small child in China is happy with the bowl of rice that he got today.

all intel see is the loss of all them 50 bucks x the millions of sales in k chips lost -- cant blame then one bit , its all about money and that's a chunk of change not coming in to them

1-million sales lost just over this is 50 million loss , right ?? we all know intel is hurting for money and they need every dime they can get to survive in the cpu market [lol]

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
God forbid customers be able to push the limits of the hardware they bought that would be terrible looks like my next CPU is likely to be AMD.

koffeeshop77

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
intel should fix the problem by fixing the CPU. or should have just let it run its course until there next refresh. besides intel doesn't make their money off of personal PC's" they make there money from corp. and xeons, including apple based products and pre assembled PC/Laptops from dell, hp lenovo... the parts they actually sell to pc enthusiast such as us is marginally small in comparison.
and in other news on the sites it is not AsRock doing ; but, yet it is the greed from intel making them issue bios updates, btw .. asus, gigabyte and msi can do the same as the asrock sky OC, i'm sure intel is just having a harder time making them cooperate/ some of the bioses from asus and gigabyte are "modded/hacked" without the help of the vendors and they have worked with great success so it's not like cant just buy an asus z170-a and do the same.
until i see proof of intel's non-k cpus in masses blowing up, this is just pure greed, and the fix is a coop out to scare people.
if it works, don't fix it, why is intel messing with something that works 99% of the time?
and why anger your customer base for no apparent reason?
the sad thing is AsRock could really use some serious fixes with their boards but if every board now needs a bios that knocks out sky OC but in return gives you front panel usb3.1 (think 6k+, or any "+" versions for that matter) when it should work to begin with,? then you mines as well just return the thing. honestly i think bios updates can be very essential until all the bugs are worked out on the board.
I also do not believe that by "taking away" OC via bclk that intel will make more money causing people to grab a k version. if people planned a budget build to OC and now cant any more. budget is still budget. they may look then for something cheaper,and many people then turn to amd in that case. in that case intel a little money is still better than no money at all .

Steve Cadieux

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Got my i5 6400 clocked at 4.6Ghz on an Asus Z170 A which is faster than a more expensive 6700k. It's not like it's a big deal except for the false advertisement from Asrock. There is a non-K OC bios for most Z170 boards if not all already.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
If Intel told them to stop, they should have outed Intel publicly, and then released another update to improve the overclocking support, then encourage their customers to submit their non K series overclocks as part of an open letter to Intel.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

That'd be like publicly giving the finger to one of your business partners. Doesn't seem like a very smart move.

Status
Not open for further replies.