The Tom's Hardware Best PC Builds Giveaway

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I won an Asus Zenbook in 2012, so I'm always pretty hyped about these giveaways knowing that it actually works out sometimes.
Same here.

Beasty244

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
I'd love to win. I'm currently rocking an HP Compaq DC5700 SFF from around 2005, and im overdue for an upgrade, but, being in school, i cant afford it at all. I use my computer alot for schoolwork and I like to game, so winning would be a blessing. This thing cant even run LibreOffice without messing up. and it started doing some odd thing where windows of Google Chrome will blink furiously so typing this is difficult lol. Good luck to everyone else :)

EDIT: in the first post, you had the "profile-0000000" highlighted so i put "profile-0000000" instead of just the numbers. Will this affect me at all? Thanks!

EDIT 2: just thought id list my specs so you all know what it is

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86GHz 1.87GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
64-bit Windows 10 Home and Linux MATE
160GB 5200RPM HDD
64MB onboard video with no PCI-E expansion available.

Look into refurbs if cost is a real issue for you. Saw this little guy this week. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIAC0F5DU5633

Beasty244

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

It looks like just what I need, but it's $349 more than I have. The only money I'll be getting any time soon is Christmas, and that will only be $90 from my parents lol. And if I get an upgrade somehow, then I'm giving this thing a fresh reimage of Ubuntu and giving it to my little sister.(she will be less demanding on it)

LewisMason

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

Click the see my profile button on that page and in the url is the number.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gotta say, since I'm mostly mobile, it's not giving me a public profile number so far, no matter which direction I went. So just signed in as normal with login name. Took it just fine. Went to steam, logged in there too, which bumped me over to the gizmo. So far the only 'bot' I've seen has been the click for 'I'm not a robot'. Other than that, it was pretty much silky smooth.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

We're always open to feedback. Please let us know if you have one in mind.

Coldshard

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I was able to finally get the steam portion to let me sign in, but whenever I tried with the profile number it kept saying that it had already logged in (with 0 entries listed) and asked me to use a different account. It didn't matter if I was logged in to Toms or not, same issue each time.

No idea what the problem is. I'm reasonably certain I have entries now at least!

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

If you want to PM me your information I can double check for you.

logainofhades

Titan

I meant better than what I have now. Some similarly priced Ryzen options would be cool though. I know this original build contest was pre release, so none were included here.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Ah, I thought you meant a better giveaway system. These builds were designed and picked by the entire community for our Q1 Best PC Builds. Unfortunately there were no Ryzen CPUs out at that time.

I'm sure the next Best PC Builds giveaway will feature Ryzen CPUs.

Actually, _Johnny5, I do have some feedback.

Could we pretty please get a news post announcing that you're taking submissions for entries into the competition? I keep meaning to submit builds, but I don't haunt the Systems forums and have never once successfully caught a build competition.

Just a quick news post stating that entries are open with a link to the systems thread would be awesome. :)

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

We actually posted a number of announcements requesting submissions. In addition to these announcements the submission threads were stickied in the Systems Forum for roughly a month, and were also mentioned in each week's Community Roundup throughout the submission period.

To keep abreast of all things Tom's I recommend subscribing to our RSS Feeds, and checking the news feed on the homepage regularly.

Sorry you missed the last competition, but the good news is we should be running a new one shortly.

New contest shortly? I'll need to keep my eyes peeled then.

Hopefully GPUs will be more manageable price wise at that time or mid-level builds will suffer.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

Well, the computer hardware market has changed dramatically since the advent of Ryzen CPUs. We'll need to address those changes in our next Best PC Builds :D

Should be after Coffee Lake retail release...right??? I mean thats virtually the end of this cycle of big release roundup from both AMD & Intel. It will give us more options to build from as well. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.