The Ultimate Hardware Guide [Last Update: 4-14-06]

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Mr. MadModMike,

Can you shed some light on why people go into longer pipeline (ie Intel)? Being an analog guy, I am pretty much oblivious about digital stuff. I just remembered about 15 years ago of a discussion CISC vs. RISC and ,deep pipeline was a characteristic of RISC where as the software compiler must rearrange the data/command to maximize the pipeline? Is this true?

Thanks.

Chime.

PS: Fanboy flaming is fun to read :lol:

@Piddy: This is in my "Bookmarks" in my Opera Browser.

@Chime: I'm going to try and explain what I think you you're asking:

The reason companies use a longer Pipeline (I.E. Intel) is because the longer the pipeline, the faster you can crank the Internal Clock Speed. Intel's marketing department was chasing after the Athlon XP and on a Clock-For-Clock basis, the Pentium 4 was suffering. The Athlon XP has a 10-Stage Pipeline, whereas the Pentium 4 had between 15 and 20 (nowawdays, a Pentium 4 has up to 31-Stages). Intel decided they needed to aggressively increase the clock speed because they couldn't match the Athlon XP, so they kept increasing the size of the pipeline and made promises like "10GHz Pentium 4", which is impossible under circumstances due to trimense heat.

On the Compiler part, I think you're referring to when Hazards happen. A Hazzard is when multiple instructions are relying on each other for data and when 1 finishes first, it can get wrong data if the instruction it relies on is not done being executed. Other Hazards such as when parts of the CPU need 2 or more Instructions, and they both required the ALU, that can cause a Structural Hazard. There are ways that are implemented to reduce Hazards, such as Flushing The Pipeline and using NOP's (Non OPeration). When the CPU thinks there might be a problem or a Hazard, it inserts these NOP instructions into the pipeline. An NOP does absolutely nothing at all other than take up space for a duration of Clock Cycles.

I hope that answered your question, if it didn't, repost and I will try to accomodate you.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Hey Mike,

Good thread with bias :).

Just a FYI for those still pondering the 32bit vs 64bit questions.

Mike was correct in stating registers. There are roughly three main characteristics that need to be taken into account when deciphering 32 vs 64 bit.

1) Registers -- The registers mike was talking about need typically three steps to complete a single transaction. There is a Load, Execute and Clear transaction for each register with multiple registers in operation. These registers are typically the size of the XXbit processors specs. I say typically because some vendors tried to release psuedo 64bit architectures (two linked 32bit registers somewhat acting as a single 64). So higher clock cycles would allow for a thoeretically quciker Load, Execute and Clear. This would assume more work in the same time. This of course does not fully include the pipeline information which could be larger or smaller based upon design. These allow for more or less operations to occur at each STEP (greater number of steps the less work typically at each step and vice versa).

2) Memory Footprint -- The reason 64bit Procs have been underused is that they have to have mods to their software to take advantage of the procs characteristics. Going from 32 to 64 requires you to be smarter with usage of memory. If you can have for instance access to a 32 bit INT or an even bigger LONG of 64bit. When memory is reserved in code you now reserve a larger address. If you only use say 4b of the address you are effectively wasting the rest of the address.

3) Word Alignment -- Some people will know and understand that word aligning on systems that are 64 bit is crucial. Bit shifting in a 64 bit architecture is DEATH. You could actually slow the system to slower than its same 32bit counterpart. Since we now have to word align (typically 8bit alignment in most 64bit arch) we get REAL sloppy with memory handling/usage (sometimes padding things to word align). Programs get larger and if not done well also could be much slower. This optimization has been mostly reserved for servers and enterprise software since memory requirements could get large.

Some additional info Here.

Hope this only contributes to this thread.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
On Hazzards,

Developers will typically LOCK via mutex data that is shared between multiple threads. This will avoid many of those collisions at runtime. In any multi-threaded application you stand the chane of data synchronization and corruption. These locks (when implemented correctly) help to alleviate these issues. This is done to help get over the hardware issues.

Most procs break themselves up into four distinct sectors (Process, Kernel, System and User). This allows for context switching. While in one quadrant of the proc you need to block and interupt to allow the next quadrant to process. The multi-thread HT in the newer Intel P 955 will allow for four of these quadrant distinct areas (four threads per cycle). This is important becasue you can context switch four independent threads per cycle. This will become a possible advantage if for instance software is written optimizing its use. That is why Intel is having the devolpers conference and releasing info about its new processors at the same time. I am sure a tool kit will be released to them. This is why it is easy to BEWARE benchmarks.

A good book for reference is "UNIX INTERNALS the new Frontiers".
Great book showing the interaction between the proc and software written for it. Of course this is UNIX bias.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Feel free to correct anything above it has been a while since going through these issues.

I don't specialize in programming (I do DirectX Windows Programming sometimes) but rather strictly General Hardware, as you can see from my 1st post. But thanks for adding, even though this was geared towards people with little understanding :p. I actually might move away from computers and try to become a Police Detective, I like helping people and teaching rather than working in a job such as Programming, so maybe even become a Teacher, heh.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Actually Mike,

Too often people want to separate Hardware and Software. One is worthless without the other.

@ the time the Dec Alpha chips were released they had 200+mhz chips that were 64 bit. People had no idea what to do with them. They wrote poor applications that would cripple the hardware and then state that the procs were horrible in performance. A simple alignment of words in the software would give a generous performance increase over its predecessors.

They are so so linked especially Operating Systems!

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Actually Mike,

Too often people want to separate Hardware and Software. One is worthless without the other.

@ the time the Dec Alpha chips were released they had 200+mhz chips that were 64 bit. People had no idea what to do with them. They wrote poor applications that would cripple the hardware and then state that the procs were horrible in performance. A simple alignment of words in the software would give a generous performance increase over its predecessors.

They are so so linked especially Operating Systems!

True, but I'm not making the hardware lol. I just learn about it and inform others who don't know, if they care enough to need to know how to program for it, so be it.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
ok mike sorry i didnt know geez and man bribe fredi to make this a sticky :D

Jack Barnes said he conversed with all the other Moderators and they concluded that they wouldn't make it a Sticky, and I won't bribe or beg anybody (not sure how I can bribe someone over the internet).

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
What Mike,

Your not striving for STICKYNESS? What about the strawberries?

Man can you imagine going your whole life without having ONE sticky thread?

Man the shame that would bring on your family!! :)

Mike gets sticky:

I'd like to give thanks to GOD and my country, and you know I love ya MOM. I still have hope for world piece!! (OSCARs combined with Miss America) :)

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
What Mike,

Your not striving for STICKYNESS? What about the strawberries?

Man can you imagine going your whole life without having ONE sticky thread?

Man the shame that would bring on your family!! :)

Mike gets sticky:

I'd like to give thanks to GOD and my country, and you know I love ya MOM. I still have hope for world piece!! (OSCARs combined with Miss America) :)

HaHa you can't sell PEACE :p.

I don't want sticky, this thread is too good for a sticky, it's 1337 :twisted:.

BTW, you got any strawberries yet? I'm really hungry :(.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Update. Refer to 1st post for changes.

wheres the rundown on nvidia/ati?........eh?Id like to know why my x1600 pro runs so hot.....I had to mod the stock heatsink and redo my case a bit to get my gpu to idle at 45c.(Cooling on the cheap)
windows help reduce case temps,just a little.or it was just an excuse to whack my case.I think plastic releases heat faster than metal.
i put an extra fan on my gpu heat sink.stock temps were way high the heat sink cover was over 100 f . now its at 27c in the heatsink fins.
why am i reading stock temps are so high ? the nvidias are high too.
speed is good ,but heat wears down your stuff,what the lifespan on a stock 7800gtx or an x 1900xt with that kind of heat?
the 7800gtx has more heat than my card at idle and load.I should mention my card is oc'd with atitool at 537 and 432.and my case is pushing 150 cfm(2x75cfm) in from the fans on the side out from the top(2x20cfm )and back(1x20+1x60cfm),and psu(2x20cfm=20cfm ttl).=pos.case pressure of 10+/-? cfm
anyway those high temps are bad....right(stock temps)
Who cares? It should be warranted. Also, GPU's can withstand a lot of heat, although it certainly isn't good for overclocking and I can't see it doing good for PCB lifetime, it can't do too terribly much either.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Update. Refer to 1st post for changes.

wheres the rundown on nvidia/ati?........eh?Id like to know why my x1600 pro runs so hot.....I had to mod the stock heatsink and redo my case a bit to get my gpu to idle at 45c.(Cooling on the cheap)
windows help reduce case temps,just a little.or it was just an excuse to whack my case.I think plastic releases heat faster than metal.
i put an extra fan on my gpu heat sink.stock temps were way high the heat sink cover was over 100 f . now its at 27c in the heatsink fins.
why am i reading stock temps are so high ? the nvidias are high too.
speed is good ,but heat wears down your stuff,what the lifespan on a stock 7800gtx or an x 1900xt with that kind of heat?
the 7800gtx has more heat than my card at idle and load.I should mention my card is oc'd with atitool at 537 and 432.and my case is pushing 150 cfm(2x75cfm) in from the fans on the side out from the top(2x20cfm )and back(1x20+1x60cfm),and psu(2x20cfm=20cfm ttl).=pos.case pressure of 10+/-? cfm
anyway those high temps are bad....right(stock temps)

Well, I'm sure there is some nice article in Graphics like mine here for CPU's

My 6800GS's idle about 39c - 45c, which is normal. Load temps go to 55c to 72c, again, which is normal. Your GPU's are going to be alot hotter than your CPU.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Who cares? It should be warranted. Also, GPU's can withstand a lot of heat, although it certainly isn't good for overclocking and I can't see it doing good for PCB lifetime, it can't do too terribly much either.
I for one would like to secure the life of an investment ,sonny. 8)

AFAIK, temps recorded to Windows are of the entire card, meaning RAM and GPU. If you have Memory running at over 1GHz to 1.6GHz and a GPU of 600MHz right next to each other, things are going to get quite toasty :).

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
no im sorry i wasnt clear ,I am aiming to keep my gpu as cool as my cpu,16 f left to go.

LOL!

Dude, you aint gonna get your GPU as cool as your CPU, at least under load. But, if you were a Mad Modder Like me, you could record these temps like I did :p:

CPU:

Stock Heatsink: 33c Load, 27c Idle

GPU:

Stock Heatsink: 35c Idle 45c Load

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
verndewd said:
no im sorry i wasnt clear ,I am aiming to keep my gpu as cool as my cpu,16 f left to go.

LOL!

Dude, you aint gonna get your GPU as cool as your CPU, at least under load. But, if you were a Mad Modder Like me, you could record these temps like I did :p:

CPU:

Stock Heatsink: 33c Load, 27c Idle

GPU:

Stock Heatsink: 35c Idle 45c Load

dont break your arm patting yourself mike,i am a moddin freakazoid.when my temps go down and match yours ,ill send ya some gpu roasted crow to eat.

LOL, iight man, but don't forget, I'm the self proclaimed best modder on Air, my best was fitting a Dual AMD Opteron 64 Workstation w/ 12 120mm Fans and 30 80mm Fans. It dropped temps by over 15c in some scenarios.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
heck i dropped 30 on my cpu and 11 on my heatsink on my gpu and almost 20c on my gpu temp chip. 75cfm fans 80mmX3 (thermaltake)

Well, when you drop 15 from 40c normal with 8 Hard Drives, over 40 cables, 2 CPU's and a host of additional devices, that's quite an achievement in my book.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
lol
yup thats perty good,I am thinking you had to build an add on to your case for all 12 120mm fans,you get a building permit for that?

LOL, nah. I'll go into MSPAINT right now and draw a diagram of it and post it. Gimme about 5 minutes, it's worth the wait ;).

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I for one would like to secure the life of an investment ,sonny. 8)
I hate to break it to you "sonny" but if you really want to secure your investment you might as well just have the company replace it as that's guaranteed whereas putting an aftermarket cooler might invalidate the warranty and you could still get screwed.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I should mention the case is one that is basically 2 stuck together, it is designed for workstations/servers. I think it'd be interesting for somebody with the right funds to test the best OC on Air.