Thermal Compound - Best between stock Scythe, Cooler Master or AS5?

Sep 6, 2018
Just looking for some help here. If someone has any idea. I bought a new Scythe Mugen 5 to replace my Hyper 212+ for my cpu. It comes with its own stock scythe paste of course. I also have AS5 that I have always used for years as well as cooler master paste that came with the hyper 212+.

Between these 3 pastes which one would you think is best? I am being lazy and would rather not have to benchmark all 3. Any ideas? It is not a big deal but since I am already have to pull off and reapply a compound, I figured I should use whichever is the better compound.

Thanks.

What cpu are you going to be cooling? Normally you won't notice much difference between the different compounds unless you are going for an aggressive overclock. The main thing I would be looking for in a compound is it being non conductive as it can make accidents less painful.

Sep 6, 2018

Yeah thanks. I just installed it tonight. Its for my current and outdated i5-2500k. At the moment I am just replacing the Hyper 212+ because I am tired of the noise levels. The fan is not at all quiet. But I bought the mugen 5 for my future build here as soon as I figure out what to buy later on this year.

I went with the AS5. I dont think there is much of a difference so I would rather just use up my AS5 tube I have had forever. It was a good thought though.

On a side note, Scythe Mugen 5 dropped temps to 66C at full load prime95(small ffts) and basically inaudible from 73-75C with the CM hyper 212+ which was fairly loud and annoying at only 70% fan speed at that temp.