• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Thermal paste in cpu socket

Jul 4, 2020
So I got a a little thermal paste in 1 of my cpu sockets then looked on how to clean it and did everything it told me like thermal paste cleaner and 90% of whatever alcohol and I put my parts back in and the pc turns on but I get no display. I even tried switching out all the parts and everything. Do I need another motherboard or what do I do???

Since it is already at a point of non operational.

I would utilize brake cleaner on the mobo and clean up with general purpose spray afterward, ala Tech Yes City. (please wear gloves and eye nose mouth protection)

As to the CPU, probably a visual and some alcohol spray or similar....maybe the general purpose spray.

jwcrellin

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
There's a video on youtube of Linus putting motherboards in the dishwasher i think. As long as you dry the parts thoroughly there should not be any negative effects. I personally would be hesitant to use steam cleaning.

More realistically, get a can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner or if you can't find that, use a can of brake cleaner.

jwcrellin

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
Be careful with brake cleaner. Some will melt the plastic.
Only if you combine it with a lit cigarette. That one youtuber from Australia (techyescity??) who does used pc part builds has used brake cleaner in a pinch. Some kinds are marked non-chlorinated, maybe they're safer. As a mechanic using both kinds, I never had any negative effect on plastic under-trays after oil changes.

Jul 2, 2020
Yes, non-chlorinated brake cleaner is not as bad, but I've had the chlorinated brake cleaner melt some thinner plastic (RC Car Bodies). Now all I use is the non-chlorinated brake cleaner for cleaning RC car tires between runs. I would hope the OP uses an electronic cleaner on his motherboard, not brake cleaner.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS