[SOLVED] Thermal paste on CPU pins

Feb 9, 2022
View: https://imgur.com/a/FlujiZz

Hello, im looking for help with cleaning my thermal paste

When i took my CPU fan off there was thermal paste everywhere, i tried to clean up as much as possible but when i took my CPU off there is thermal paste on the pins (shown by images). I think the thermal paste is the base thermal paste that comes on stock AMD CPU coolers.

I have acetone based based nail polish remover here but i dont have isopropic alcohol because im in the UK. How should i remove the thermal paste, do i urgently need to clean it or can i wait for isopropic alcohol from amazon. Also what is the safest way to clean of the thermal paste from the CPU pins and the connectors on the mobo.

Any help is appriciated

Solution
It's called isopropyl alcohol...didn't know it's not on sale in the UK. Don't confuse it with ethyl alcohol. You should find it in a pharmacy in the medical supplies and first aid sections since it's an important disinfectant for cleaning skin around wounds (cuts) and instruments.

I wouldn't use acetone, mainly because it is a solvent for many plastics and I wouldn't want to be the one to test it on my CPU, but it MIGHT be safe. If I couldn't get IPA (isopropyl alcohol) then I'd just use a cotton swap and tooth picks to carefully scrape off any excess and leave the rest of the residue. It's really harmless and won't affect anything.
Hey there,

Yes, isopropyl is the way to go. What do you mean you can't get it in the UK? You should be able to get it in Maplins style shops and/or local chemist/pharmacy often have them too. Just use the ISO along with some swabs to wipe away the old paste. ISO alcohol is 99% and will evaporate, so don't worry about residue.

It's called isopropyl alcohol...didn't know it's not on sale in the UK. Don't confuse it with ethyl alcohol. You should find it in a pharmacy in the medical supplies and first aid sections since it's an important disinfectant for cleaning skin around wounds (cuts) and instruments.

I wouldn't use acetone, mainly because it is a solvent for many plastics and I wouldn't want to be the one to test it on my CPU, but it MIGHT be safe. If I couldn't get IPA (isopropyl alcohol) then I'd just use a cotton swap and tooth picks to carefully scrape off any excess and leave the rest of the residue. It's really harmless and won't affect anything.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution
Feb 9, 2022

Thanks for your advice ,I misworded it I meant to say that i couldnt find IPA locally and would wait for amazon in 3 days ish. I was meaning to ask is it urgent that i clean the thermal paste off now or can i wait for amazon to arrrive

Feb 9, 2022
Hey there,

Yes, isopropyl is the way to go. What do you mean you can't get it in the UK? You should be able to get it in Maplins style shops and/or local chemist/pharmacy often have them too. Just use the ISO along with some swabs to wipe away the old paste. ISO alcohol is 99% and will evaporate, so don't worry about residue.
Thanks for your reply ,I misworded it I meant to say that i couldnt find IPA locally and would wait for amazon in 3 days ish. I was meaning to ask is it urgent that i clean the thermal paste off now or can i wait for amazon to arrrive

Thanks for your advice ,I misworded it I meant to say that i couldnt find IPA locally and would wait for amazon in 3 days ish. I was meaning to ask is it urgent that i clean the thermal paste off now or can i wait for amazon to arrrive
It's perfectly OK to wait for Amazon....or forever. As I a said, it's harmless. The only reason to clean it is to appease one's OCD tendencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead