Question Thermaltake riing trio 12 + gigabyte ultra z390

Oct 24, 2019
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and have a possibly easy answer, that i'm too stupidd to figure out. Maybe someone smarter than me can answer my problem.

I bought 2 packs of 3 of the "Thermaltake Riing trio 12" (6 fans total) in each pack comes 1 fan controller (so i have a total of 2) I'm 99.9% sure i have the fans connected correctly to the fan controllers, and their powered by molex connectors directly to the PSU.

the RGB comes on and the fans spin, but the thermaltake rgb plus software "can't find" the fan controllers, nor does the downloadable app. so i am unable to adjust the default out the box rainbow effect RGB, and the fans speed (at least thru software as far as fan speed goes, can't do anything with the rgb)

Now, from what i've gathered around the net since building is a few different answers. For example: I read that these riing trio thermaltake fans don't work with gigabyte MBs.... That i might need a "thermaltake sync controller" that includes a cord, that fits a particular header on the gigabyte MBs, so you can use gigabytes RGB fusion software to potentially control the fans (RGB and possibly speed) and honestly this sync controller is my next and final option before saying F it and returning these things.

Now i don't care what software i got to use, i just want full control of the fans (rgb and speed) and i know for a fact i don't need the sync controller (unless i want to spend $25 for the controller and use gigabytes rgb fusion software) there is a build on pcpartpicker with 9 of these fans and the z390 master board (mine is a ultra) so unless the master board has a special header the ultra board doesn't for rgb fans.... Someone asked him in his comments, if he had to use the sync controller, and he said, no. Just the included controllers. So i asked him where on the MB did he connect the fan controllers to... But his build is 6 months old, and i doubt he'll see my comment.

So i thought i'd ask for help here.

What header on the gigabyte z390 ultra board (if any) do i plug the thermaltake riing trio fan controller into? And is there more than 1 header on the MB for 2 fan controllers?

As far as my novice research went, i read online that my z390 ultra board has 2 VDG (Voltage, Digital, no pin, Ground) headers on the MB, and presumably the fan controllers plug into these headers... Problem is, I'm unsure, and don't want to break anything.

Also the VDG headers on the MB are the size of a 4 pin header, but with 3 pins (depending where its at on the MB, its missing the 3rd pin) the fan controllers are 4 pin connecters, so the 3rd wire isn't going to have a pin to connect into? If this is the right header, what is that 3rd wire for?? And is it important?

Any light someone can shed on this situation of mine would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, ALL!

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019
NVM... Turns out i was connecting them right the whole time, the fan controllers were faulty. A quick return/exchange... Now i have full control.

I take back my "Thank u" and you all can get bent. Lol j/k