News These Blu-Ray Discs Are Guaranteed to Last 100 Years

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"we can only wonder whether someone will still be manufacturing optical disc drives some 100+ years down the road and if there will still be PCs that can connect to them?"

Pentagon is still using 8" floppy from 50 years ago today. There are also many punched card machines still working. Microfiche was invented 90+ years ago and many, many libraries still have them to read old newspapers and periodicals. National Archive certainly can still play wax cylinders from 19th century.

How old is this guy? Here is something a hipster should even get of the meaning perspective. Vinyl was commercialized just over 100 years ago.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
These type of discs are pretty nice.

Buy games on GoG which doesn't use DRM, copy them onto these discs, and no one can take your games away from you.

Laugh when Steam shuts down their service and no one can access their games anymore.

Reactions: bit_user

pointa2b

Prominent
Dec 22, 2022
Its also worth noting archival grade DVD-R's have been out for quite a while, at least a 10-12 years now. They use some small amount of gold that can have them reportedly last for up to a century, provided they are in optimal storage conditions.

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
"we can only wonder whether someone will still be manufacturing optical disc drives some 100+ years down the road and if there will still be PCs that can connect to them?"

Pentagon is still using 8" floppy from 50 years ago today. There are also many punched card machines still working. Microfiche was invented 90+ years ago and many, many libraries still have them to read old newspapers and periodicals. National Archive certainly can still play wax cylinders from 19th century.

How old is this guy? Here is something a hipster should even get of the meaning perspective. Vinyl was commercialized just over 100 years ago.

Whether or not we will still have devices that can ues Blu Ray is irrelevant. I'm sure there will be a handful, just like there's still a few Beta-Max's kickin' around somewhere. It's the issue of.... whats the point? Blu Rays are 50GB. n 100 years, we will have 50PB USB flash drives, and 50EB hard drives. Ya. Pentagon still uses floppies, that's because it would be a nightmare to try and completely overhaul a massive system like that. It would cost billions and a lot of manpower. But it's not that hard to choose to digitally download a song in 10 seconds as apposed to driving to a store to buy a CD

Last edited:

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
in 100 years, we will have 50PB USB flash drives, and 50EB hard drives.

Why do you think that though.

The largest data on a consumer PC is probably games nowadays.

And we are already at a limit there. More detailed textures and sound is barely noticeable and developers are under time constraints to create all these assets.

I don't see how storage (at least for consumers) will go much beyond maybe 20 TB before it becomes pretty pointless to add more.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
What about M-Disc's, what is the life expected y of those? It's been awhile obviously....

The last sentence of the article talks about it

"Anyway, while 100 years for DM for Archive BD-Rs and 1,000 years for M-Discs seems impressive, it looks like the best way of preserving data for personal use is to back it up regularly to multiple sources. "

USAFRet

Titan

The largest data on a consumer PC is probably games nowadays.

And we are already at a limit there. More detailed textures and sound is barely noticeable and developers are under time constraints to create all these assets.

I don't see how storage (at least for consumers) will go much beyond maybe 20 TB before it becomes pretty pointless to add more.
Mid-90's, the install size of Quake I was under 100MB. That included the Nine Inch Nails audio, artwork, user manual with screenshots, etc.
Today, a game can take up to 100GB.

1,000 times larger, in 30 years.

Reactions: 10tacle

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Look at what smartphones have done to the rate at which individuals produce data. The ability to take large numbers insanely high-res photos plus 4k and even 8k video is probably one of the greatest drivers of the storage industry.

Now, it might seem like photos and videos can't get much better. But, what if we start having lots of volumetric data start coming into the mainstream, within a couple decades?

Moving beyond consumers, there are billions of IoT sensors churning out data, and that trend will also increase. Add to that lots of robots and self-driving cars uploading data, and I think the thirst for cloud storage will continue for decades.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
A hundred years from now someone's going to ask "Does anyone remember the encryption password?" LOL
Eh, quantum computers will have rendered conventional encryption obsolete.

Mid-90's, the install size of Quake I was under 100MB. That included the Nine Inch Nails audio, artwork, user manual with screenshots, etc.
No, the NIN soundtrack only played directly off the CD, using Redbook audio. The cool thing about that was you could pop the game disc in a normal audio CD player and just listen to it that way. Descent 2 was another example of this, with a sound track by Skinny Puppy. I think it might've actually come first, in fact. But that game also had a separate MIDI sound track.

They used the CD+ standard, which enabled audio CDs to contain a data track. Probably the best use of it, too. The only other thing I recall it being used for was some crappy MPEG versions of music videos and sometimes photos.

Last edited:

Co BIY

Splendid
My main takeway ...

This tech was not designed to store and preserve the great artistic creations of our civilisations or preserve hard won knowledge in science and medicine.

It was developed so that the Goverment can tax you for something that happened 100 years ago!

Reactions: Nathkrul

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I like DVDs because they are read-only and that's security for me. I don't see any USB drives that can be switched into a "read-only" mode at the physical-level like we used to do with the old 3.5" floppies.
I've backed-up all my games & patches & mods (& no-cd cracks, for games that I own legit disks for) on a USB-HDD, but I'd be careful to plug it into a Win-10 PC, lest MS Defender delete some of my .exe files against my will.
I used to burn mainly my patches / mods folders onto DVDs, and wasn't much worried about the actual games that were in disk image files. Now I hear that Win-10 may also scan inside ISO files. Maybe now I'll have to zip them in password-protected archives.

Problem 1: BR discs and drives are much more expensive than DVDs or even USB-HDDs.
Problem 2: They aren't easily available. Optical media has become so niche that I couldn't find a new one to buy anywhere in the local markets, and would have to order one online from far away at higher prices than just buying a used old PC that has a throwaway DVD-RW drive in it.

Reactions: phenomiix6

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Problem 1: BR discs and drives are much more expensive than DVDs or even USB-HDDs.
Problem 2: They aren't easily available. Optical media has become so niche that I couldn't find a new one to buy anywhere in the local markets, and would have to order one online from far away at higher prices than just buying a used old PC that has a throwaway DVD-RW drive in it.
  1. BR Discs are more expensive on a "Per Disc" basis, but not on a Per GiB basis. The extra cost per Disc is worth it
  2. If you go to good vendors online, the prices are pretty reasonable.
    I prefer SL & DL discs. Mostly DL discs due to the space savings in Disc Binders.
    TL discs are still too expensive for my taste.

Last edited:

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
I bought a BD-R writer and burned 35 Verbatim discs with it. I stored those discs in my safe and 1 year later all but 2 discs were completely unreadable. I validated the discs worked after burning them. I never burned another BD-R again. The worst part was pulling teeth to warranty the bad discs to get a new spindle of discs I will never use.

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
There is no such thing as archival digital storage. You always have to maintain multiple back-ups of the bits you want to keep. A 100 year blu-ray is just a scam, and is probably bad for the environment.

Co BIY

Splendid
There is no such thing as archival digital storage. You always have to maintain multiple back-ups of the bits you want to keep. A 100 year blu-ray is just a scam, and is probably bad for the environment.

How are you going to maintain multiple backups of the "bits" in a way less environmentally impactful than a small plastic disk ?

Reactions: bit_user

slate33

Honorable
Feb 4, 2017

Good points all. Additionally, one advantage of things like this is that it results in lower failure rates over shorter time horizons. Certainly storing data for 30 years (old marriage certificates? public records? Newspaper articles from years ago?) is common, and would be tricky with disks that last 5-20 years. A disk that should last 100 years means that in 30 years when you to through the archives to make sure the data is all still in good working order, it should be.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I bought a BD-R writer and burned 35 Verbatim discs with it. I stored those discs in my safe and 1 year later all but 2 discs were completely unreadable. I validated the discs worked after burning them. I never burned another BD-R again. The worst part was pulling teeth to warranty the bad discs to get a new spindle of discs I will never use.
Did you buy LTH BD-R discs or regular BD-R discs.

There's a BIG difference between LTH and regular BD-R discs, that includes the price per disc.

Jan 10, 2023
These type of discs are pretty nice.

Buy games on GoG which doesn't use DRM, copy them onto these discs, and no one can take your games away from you.

Laugh when Steam shuts down their service and no one can access their games anymore.

Not a bad idea. It's just that most games are only available on Steam or other DRM-ridden platforms...

I have about that many 10-15 year old CDs and DVDs made by random brands like HP, Maxell, and Memorex. At this point, less than half of them are fully readable. The others are only partially readable, or even unusable. I had to use data recovery tools recover what data I could from them.

I hope archival-grade discs really are as good as the manufacturers claim them to be. Simulated testing is nice, but how accurate is it really?

It is at least safe to say that everyday discs are definitely not very reliable, as we have both discovered the hard way.

My only problem is (aside from doubts about simulated disc aging), the amount of data I would like to have safely archived is big enough (several terabytes) that archival-grade discs of any kind are prohibitively expensive. I don't even want to know how many thousands of dollars that would cost. :fearscream:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Did you buy LTH BD-R discs or regular BD-R discs.

There's a BIG difference between LTH and regular BD-R discs, that includes the price per disc.
IMO, one of the key things in this article is an actual quality standard. I probably haven't bought optical media for at least 10 years. Before that, I used to burn a lot of DVD-R's and it was always a game to figure out which media was the best (i.e. which brands and product lines were using Taiyo Yuden disc stock). You could buy unlabeled TY discs, which is what I usually did, but it wasn't quite as good as the stock they'd sell to some of the big brands.

I really like the idea of buying media that claims to conform and have been validated to an actual standard. Let's have no guesswork in trying to select media, please. And yes, I'm willing to pay for that.

Last edited: