News These Blu-Ray Discs Are Guaranteed to Last 100 Years

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WebBeachBoy

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
Pioneer's BDR-WX01DM optical disc drive and IPS-BD11J03P BD-R are compliant with the Japanese JIS X6257 standard, promise to last for a century.

These Blu-Ray Discs Are Guaranteed to Last 100 Years : Read more
Fotunately all disks are now obsolete.
I still have some 8" IBM floppy disks from 1975 !!!
- but then I also have some zip disks - remember them ? (I even have mini-disks !)
All computers are now obsolete ~ the future is sdUc......

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I did, but I probably misunderstood what you meant. I guess you just meant that any PC which doesn't have a SDUC slot is obsolete?

SD cards aren't anything remotely close to archival-grade storage. Therefore, irrelevant to this discussion.
The SD Association that runs the SD card standards needs to get their heads out of their arse.

Trying to bolt on SD Express onto the SD standards is a fools errand.

CFexpress was built with PCIe in mind from the ground up.

The original electrical standards for SD transfers is VERY different from PCIe which is what CFexpress was designed around.

SD Association trying to bolt on PCIe via the SDexpress standard is going to cause unnecessary friction and more companies to jump to CFexpress.

CFexpress was designed to handle the thermal management issues of using PCIe in a tiny memory card format.

SD cards aren't, they were designed for a completely different paradigm.

SD’s Response to CFexpress is Pretty Much Dead on Arrival
Ritz Golden Eagle SD Express Card Review: It’s Worse Than We Thought

IMO, SD Association needs to complete and support UHS-III and focus on getting cost/capacity down with "Good Enough" Bandwidth and get support to be wide & far on as many devices as possible.

Stop trying to MacGyver on PCIe onto your standard.

SD cards already have wide spread adoption; if they want to keep their dominance, stick to the original game plan of UHS-III and focus on Min/Maxing power consumption when using UHS-III. Be the Energy Efficient Memory Card standard that also consumes the minimal amount of power when reading/writing to the SD card while maintaining rated speeds.

CFexpress will naturally use more power due to being a high-speed interface, stop trying to do what they're doing.

Be good at what you already have and enhance it. Stop trying to copy or bolt on technology that was never meant for your standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
LTH was a marketing effort by older Blank Disc manufacturers to use the old "Organic Dyes" used in CD-R/DVD±R's and not the new standardized "In-Organic Dyes" used in BD-R's & Archival Discs.

That's why they didn't last.

Modern Blu-Ray & Archival Disc use "In-Organic Dyes", that's why they have a longer shelf life.

Sony & Panasonic learned from previous mistakes and standardized on better, longer lasting formulations.

LTH was created by old-guard Blank-Disc manufacturers who tried to make a buck and tried to fool people with the cheap price.
If you paid attention to the details, everybody who cared about longevity avoided LTH like the plague.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_recordable
thanks for the info. I put my trust into the Verbatim name. Oh well, I still have pictures, just no RAW files.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I put my trust into the Verbatim name.
Back when I was burning DVD-R's, it was enlightening to see how varied these brands' suppliers were. The disc stock they used could vary seemingly from one batch to another, and definitely between different product tiers.

There was a freeware tool you could use to do error scans, but it required a LiteOn drive. Plextor had their own version, but it only worked on their own drives.

From that, I learned the disc manufacturer is what really matters - not the brand it's sold as.

Reactions: Soaptrail

TRENDING THREADS