Question Thinkpad Experts help me identify my laptop

Nov 28, 2023
So in the late 2000's, my grandma worked for IBM. She got me a laptop and the thing was a beast. I want one again I just need help identifying it from deep in my memory.

I will try to describe it and hopefully you guys can help me find out what model it was.

It had to be around 2008-2012 when i was using this thinkpad
Windows XP

The closest thing I have found is the T430. the differences I can make out is that i remember all the keys being square and no gaps between them.
I dont think it had any of the access IBM buttons.

Kinda like a t410 with the keyboard layout but I dont think the power button was inset. I remember it being more like a raised button.

It did not say lenovo on it.

Any help would be much appreicated.

So in the late 2000's, my grandma worked for IBM. She got me a laptop and the thing was a beast. I want one again I just need help identifying it from deep in my memory.

I will try to describe it and hopefully you guys can help me find out what model it was.

It had to be around 2008-2012 when i was using this thinkpad
Windows XP

The closest thing I have found is the T430. the differences I can make out is that i remember all the keys being square and no gaps between them.
I dont think it had any of the access IBM buttons.

Kinda like a t410 with the keyboard layout but I dont think the power button was inset. I remember it being more like a raised button.

It did not say lenovo on it.

Any help would be much appreicated.
Do you have any idea what kind of ports it had on it? Screen size?

With what you have given us it could be any number of models in numerous configurations. Lenovo purchased IBM way back in 2003 and that is when they started using the Lenovo name for it's line of PCs so I would guess it pre-dated that timeframe if it was still called IBM.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That era of laptop would either have been late Core 2 Duo or the 1st-3rd gen Core series if I recall. T400-T430, can't quite recall if the T440 was 4th gen or not. Nothing really to write home about.

Did it have a GPU? The majority of the T4xx laptops would not have shipped with one, that would narrow it down a lot.

Nov 28, 2023
Do you have any idea what kind of ports it had on it? Screen size?

With what you have given us it could be any number of models in numerous configurations. Lenovo purchased IBM way back in 2003 and that is when they started using the Lenovo name for it's line of PCs so I would guess it pre-dated that timeframe if it was still called IBM.

the screen was more of a widescreen rather than a box. The battery was flush and did not stick out at all.

Another reference i can give you is the z60t, this one remind me of it a lot but it did not have a fingerprint scanner.

I was around 10 years old at this time so it is a deep memory.

Nov 28, 2023
That is the T60 and T60p you are thinking of by the sounds of it

Yes I think that is it, that’s like 99% replica of what i remember. The only thing different is I don’t remember it having a fingerprint scanner. Is there one that looks exactly like that minus the scanner?

If not maybe mine just didn’t work or something so that’s why I don’t remember it.

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
Yes I think that is it, that’s like 99% replica of what i remember. The only thing different is I don’t remember it having a fingerprint scanner. Is there one that looks exactly like that minus the scanner?

If not maybe mine just didn’t work or something so that’s why I don’t remember it.
Some of the T42 models did not come with a fingerprint scanner