This is Gigabyte's Super Overclock GTX 680 With 5 Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is becoming like the razor blades of 10 yrs ago.....3blades, no 4 blades, no 5 blades, etc.

any bets on fan count in 10 years?

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
i would rather have 2 or 3 large fans that pushed a lot of air flow at acceptable noise levels than 5 small and loud as a hair dryer fans...

G

[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]Obviously I haven't heard the card but don't small fans tend to be ridiculously loud?[/citation]
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]i would rather have 2 or 3 large fans that pushed a lot of air flow at acceptable noise levels than 5 small and loud as a hair dryer fans...[/citation]
This and this.

Well, don't u have some 120mm fans that are crazy loud?

And some supper quiet?

I don't think Gigabyte would go and embarrassed itself by making the card louder

than is the average for this kind of GPU.

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
yeah, no price is announce.
Maybe 20% more expensive for only 8.5% more performance.

You pay for having more fans. I don't care about the fans, what I'm interested is performance.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Lots of small fans sounds like a bad idea to me.

Small fans are louder than large fans because they have to spin much faster to move the same amount of air. Maybe the fact that there's five of them will mean they never have to spin that fast to keep the card cool, but if they're spinning at max RPM that thing is going to sound like a jet taking off.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Would you like some video-card with that fan?

I love Gigabyte my mobo and both of my 460's are their brand and I have been using them as a preference for many years but this is a bit hard to take seriously. That video-card will be the loudest thing in my house if I get one. I am guessing the price will be considerably higher too, I just couldn't justify buying it for a 8% performance gain.

[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]hey! fractal made 40mm fans that spin at 4000rpm and they only make 19dba of noise at that speed. small fans dont make that much noise nowadays[/citation]
4.5 cfm vs 65 for 140mm fan from the same company. And I DO like fractal cases for the price.

[citation][nom]anonymous_user[/nom]Are those like rackmount server fans? Wasn't the purpose of larger size fans to be able to have equal airflow with less fans and less noise?[/citation]
YES!

I hope that with so much heatsink(3 slots worth without space taken for fans on the top of the heatsink), they will be able to get away with less air flow.

Anyone remember the Accelero X2, that thing used a very small blower and was a very quiet cooler. It was not noticeably louder at full speed either and cooled so well. It was a case of more heatsink = less fan needed.

oj88

Honorable
May 23, 2012
I need to dust off 9 fans in my gaming PC twice a year, and I hate small fans which are much harder to get cleaned than larger ones. I just wish to put a fanless PC in a fridge which is dust free inside and at most one large fan outside.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Yeah, interesting idea, but the noise level will likely be a problem. Love Gigabyte, but I think this might not be their best idea. Let's do a little conceptualizing. Let's say that they manage to get each fan here to run at max RPM but only ~20dba. That's an effective total of ~100dba. Compare that to three 120mm or 140mm fans that will push the same amount of air if not more while running at the same 20dba, for an effective ~60dba. My guess is that this design is all about the performance of placing those fans on the side of the card rather than how many fans there are. The card would probably look weird if they limited to only three or so fans on the side, so they went for a little better aesthetics, sacrificed a little on noise, and hope that not too many people have need to crank this thing up too much.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I have stayed away from double_slot video cards, I prefer to be able to use ALL slots available on the motherboard. A triple slot card will never get a chance to "sit" on any slot on neither of my PC's.

(note: I have consider a dual slot card, but so far manage to stay away from them) although I have installed a dual slot video card for others ... not for myself.

I wonder when this is going to stop... I wouldn't doubt that a single video card would reach 4 or even 5 slots in the future at this rate.

stokesj75

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I like the Idea of drawling the heat from edge of the card, but there is some problems with that design.
1. the card takes 3 slots.
2. if used in a somewhat slim case there might be airflow disruption or blockage. It does look like the card is also taller than a normal card.
3. Small fans that are designed to move a lot of air are very loud and high pitched.

If I was going to do a multiply small can configuration like this, where the card take 3 slots. I would have put 2-3 fans on the front and back edge of the card to draw air across the card and out the back. much like the common squirrel cage setups.

stokesj75

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I like the Idea of drawling the heat from edge of the card, but there is some problems with that design.
1. the card takes 3 slots.
2. if used in a somewhat slim case there might be airflow disruption or blockage. It does look like the card is also taller than a normal card.
3. Small fans that are designed to move a lot of air are very loud and high pitched.

If I was going to do a multiply small can configuration like this, where the card take 3 slots. I would have put 2-3 fans on the front and back edge of the card to draw air across the card and out the back. much like the common squirrel cage setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.