This PC-On-A-Stick Costs $74 USD

Status
Not open for further replies.

technicalbass

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
It's really quite incredible how far we have come in terms of scaling pc components further and further down in size. That amount of processing power was just starting to immerge on a consumer level in full size desktops just over 10 years ago. Now all of that in a device the size of your finger? Intense!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Keyboards, video displays, and power supplies (in some fashion) have been around for decades - long before the PC. Who would have thought 50 years ago that these would be the bulky items and the the computer itself would shrink in size to next to nothing.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
seems pretty good, hopefully it does not have the driver issues of the raspberry pi where the hardware acceleration is crippled and there is not enough RAM to run many applications that would otherwise run great on the low power device.

A good use of a device like this will be as a media center system, especially if there is hardware acceleration for multiple formats. (probably make a custom case for it that can fit the drive and controller board from a 2.5 inch external hard drive, and the PC on a stick system's internals and turn it into a decent media center system)

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]I wish... M$ would frickin shrink their OS to do crap like this....[/citation]

They're working on it. No matter what you think of Windows 8's Metro interface (personally I like the concept but loathe the implementation for a desktop environment) it's the first Windows OS in years that actually requires less resources than its predecessor. Seven was the first to avoid an increase in system requirements and now 8 is more resource efficient than 7.

If they could just figure out that Metro UI Windows 8 would be golden.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]Of all the products I've ever read about on Tom's and elsewhere, this is one that I would absolutely NEED to see a benchmark for.[/citation]
Yeah but I think it's safe to say in this point of the game that it won't run Crysis.

[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]They're working on it. No matter what you think of Windows 8's Metro interface (personally I like the concept but loathe the implementation for a desktop environment) it's the first Windows OS in years that actually requires less resources than its predecessor. Seven was the first to avoid an increase in system requirements and now 8 is more resource efficient than 7.If they can just figure out that Metro UI Windows 8 would be golden.[/citation]
Ya, screw Android; Imagine WP7.5 on something like this! It would be much more resource friendly than Android is on limited hardware.
And I agree with your take on Win8. It is a great OS, that is nice and small, and the only peskey thing about it is Metro. But it is easy enough to avoid when it is not wanted, while working great on touch devices when you do want it.

robisinho

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
cotton candy can be charged on the hdmi, which is nice but its real feature wins are with the processor (cortex a9 dual core) and the ram (full gig).

I kinda like them both really :) I would buy either if it had a SATA port.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Nice!!

Imagine this with a projected keyboard and a projected screen.
(floating screen in mid air while a keyboard that is projected on the table.)
Super portable!!

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
While this is amazing as it is ... just imagine the computing power of a smartphone .. remove the need for batery , and it`s own display .. let only the PC inside it and peripherials , and you get an even more powerfull computer that could easly fit in a keyboard`s or mouse insides! ... imagine a Mouse with that inside and some kind of wireless connection to an 105" TV for a personal computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.