Question Thoughts on the MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi?

Jun 14, 2023
Hi everyone, this is my first post on Toms Hardware and I have a few questions/concerns.

I found that the MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi is the most affordable board I could find with all the features I need. It has a lot of good reviews, but I have heard some bad things too. Users have reported that when they would put their PC to sleep it would refuse to turn back on until restarted. Others have said that when they put the computer to sleep it just shuts down.

Have the issues with the MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi been fixed yet, or is this still the case?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Not all boards reported as being faulty were faulty for the same reason or context. A faulty board can be either due to a bad BIOS or there was a mishap with the manufacturing of the motherboard, apart from an OS issue/driver corruption. We do however come across a lot of threads whereby user error did lead to a board dying, due to a bad quality PSU, being one instance. Not the Z690 chipset, motherboard's in general.

Just an FYI, if you're going to pair a 13th Gen Intel processor with that board, forgo the Z690 chipset and get the Z790 chipset.

What does the rest of your build look like?

Jun 14, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Not all boards reported as being faulty were faulty for the same reason or context. A faulty board can be either due to a bad BIOS or there was a mishap with the manufacturing of the motherboard, apart from an OS issue/driver corruption. We do however come across a lot of threads whereby user error did lead to a board dying, due to a bad quality PSU, being one instance. Not the Z690 chipset, motherboard's in general.

Just an FYI, if you're going to pair a 13th Gen Intel processor with that board, forgo the Z690 chipset and get the Z790 chipset.

What does the rest of your build look like?
Sorry for the late reply, I'm building a PC mainly for Gaming and Video Editing. However, I'm getting into 3D Modeling and After Effects.

The reason I picked the MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi was because it had all the features I need:
  • Four M.2 NVMe SSD Slots
  • WiFi and Bluetooth
  • 6 System Fan Headers
  • 2.5GB Ethernet
PC Parts I’ve Picked:
  • CPU: i5-12400
  • CPU Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-214-XT
  • RAM: 32GB (16GBx2) 3200MHz
  • OS+Programs Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
  • Active Projects Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
  • Storage Drive: WD Blue 2TB 3.5” 7200RPM
  • GPU: RTX 3060 12GB
  • Case: Montech X3 Mesh
  • Power Supply: MSI MPG A750GF
I do plan to upgrade to a 13th Gen CPU, but I doubt I’ll need to anytime soon.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply, I'm building a PC mainly for Gaming and Video Editing. However, I'm getting into 3D Modeling and After Effects.

The reason I picked the MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi was because it had all the features I need:
  • WiFi and Bluetooth
  • 6 System Fan Headers
  • 2.5GB Ethernet
PC Parts I’ve Picked:
Same amount of PCIe lanes but for cheaper.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vv...a1700-motherboard-tuf-gaming-h670-pro-wifi-d4

Sep 16, 2024

• WiFi and Bluetooth
  • 6 System Fan Headers
  • 2.5GB Ethernet
PC Parts I’ve Picked:
No Offense, but I'd rather you buy a 2TB SSDs, which is about $129 instead of two separate 1TB SSDs each about $79 and then after getting everything ready, just boot into Windows, use the keys; Windows key + R, then type in the field; diskmgmt.msc, then press enter key. Then a window will open inside that, select you ssd, then there should be long rectangular bars down below, where you can right click then click on "Shrink Volume on Disk", then input the value 1TB, then there should be 1TB of Space with a label and one with unallocated space. You can then right click on the unallocated space, then create on change or create disk label, then give it a label and name. And here you go you have two partitions each of 1TB from one single 2TB SSD, causing you less money, than you would when buying two 1TB SSDs

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
No Offense, but I'd rather you buy a 2TB SSDs, which is about $129 instead of two separate 1TB SSDs each about $79 and then after getting everything ready, just boot into Windows, use the keys; Windows key + R, then type in the field; diskmgmt.msc, then press enter key. Then a window will open inside that, select you ssd, then there should be long rectangular bars down below, where you can right click then click on "Shrink Volume on Disk", then input the value 1TB, then there should be 1TB of Space with a label and one with unallocated space. You can then right click on the unallocated space, then create on change or create disk label, then give it a label and name. And here you go you have two partitions each of 1TB from one single 2TB SSD, causing you less money, than you would when buying two 1TB SSDs
That post is over a year old.
Only post to current threads.