[SOLVED] Thoughts on this GPU?

programram

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
I currently own a 1060 and I was in the market for a new card and this card in particular peaked my interest at $299 and I wanted to get your thoughts on it, currently I have a 500w power supply and I would much rather not upgrade it money is tight but I want a newer better card if its possible. If you have any other recommendations I would love that, On another note my full specs are as follows

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
RAM - 16GB (Honestly no idea what brand or frequency)
Storage - SSD
Monitor - BenQ 1080p Gaming monitor
PSU - Thermaltake Smart 500w (I know I should upgrade this at some point)

I hope this is enough information so you can give me some help in terms of buying a new card and realistically I solely want an RTX for the ray tracing but not entirely sure if the 2060 I have linked above will handle ray tracing with my specs and or at least high settings with my specs (minus the old card) . Thank you everyone look forward to your advice :D

Solution
I would not run any RTX cards on a Thermaltake smart 500w. Your priorities should be as follows to ensure no hardware failures:
  1. PSU upgrade
  2. GPU upgrade

That 2060 is a good deal. You may want to also consider an RX 5700 aswell.

programram

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
I would not run any RTX cards on a Thermaltake smart 500w. Your priorities should be as follows to ensure no hardware failures:
  1. PSU upgrade
  2. GPU upgrade
That 2060 is a good deal. You may want to also consider an RX 5700 aswell.
Any thoughts then on a better PSU I'm not very experienced in what brands would be the best in terms of value and reliability.

That card will run a little hotter and louder than other 2060's. But the performance will be within a couple of percent of other 2060s. I dont know about you, but I cant see the difference in 2% fps.

I agree with the above, I would go with a different PSU as well. Look for a quality unit from Corsiar, EVGA, or Seasonic.

I would recommend you to get the following PSU models and brands. These are high quality units. Look for similar SKUs.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum.

CORSAIR AXi, RMi, RMx 550/650W, SF, HX 2017, HXi.

FSP - Hydro PTM 550/650W.

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Maker MiJ, V series 550/650W.

Antec - High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, Earthwatts Pro Gold, HCG Gold.

Super Flower - Leadex Gold II.

be Quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11, Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro P10.

EVGA -Supernova.

The best-fitting PSU for your system all depends on your budget.

The issue with the TT SMART 500w is the low build quality, and not as much the wattage. Because of this, I would consider upgrading to a higher quality 550w.

Heres a lower cost unit that will get the job done:
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
Power Supply | Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $68.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $68.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-21 09:32 EDT-0400 |

Something like the below would be a better option, however.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $79.99 @ Amazon
| Total | $79.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-21 09:33 EDT-0400 |

Then your system could handle an RX5700 or RTX2060.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

programram

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
The best-fitting PSU for your system all depends on your budget.

The issue with the TT SMART 500w is the low build quality, and not as much the wattage. Because of this, I would consider upgrading to a higher quality 550w.

Heres a lower cost unit that will get the job done:
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Power Supply | Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $68.99 @ Amazon
| Total | $68.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-21 09:32 EDT-0400 |

Something like the below would be a better option, however.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $79.99 @ Amazon
| Total | $79.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-21 09:33 EDT-0400 |

Then your system could handle an RX5700 or RTX2060.
I appreciate it! I'll go ahead and pick up the SeaSonic I hear they are pretty good and most likely the 2060 Im just too used to using Geforce Experience :ROFLMAO:. Thank you to everyone again very useful information!

SeaSonic I hear they are pretty good and most likely the 2060 Im just to used to using Geforce Experience :ROFLMAO:.
That SeaSonic model will last you. The SeaSonic FOCUS gold 550w has a 7-year warranty compared to the 5-year warranty with the Corsair CX550. Alternatively can pick up the fully modular SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 550w for a 10-year warranty.

I dont blame you about the GeForce experience thing. I upgraded from a GTX 1050 to an AMD card and I do miss GeForce experience. AMD does have an alternative, however.

I would totally buy the RX5700 at least in my country RTX 2060 6GB and RX5700 is the same price. RX5700 have 2 more GB of GDDR6 VRAM and perform overall better than 2060. If you go the rtx path only for the ray tracing is totally wrong. It is proven that RTX 2060 6GB is not enough for ray tracing. Even with RTX 2080 i get 40fps average at quake 2 rtx that recently nvidia released at 1440p. I wish amd released navi sooner. If you can find 2060 super 8gb with a small price difference from rx 5700 then i would consider nvidia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.
A second/third vote for the RTX 5700 NAVI GPU. I'm myself still waiting for custom AIB models to launch soon. And yes, you are correct, AMD should have released NAVI GPUs early this year.

They are always late to the party, lol. Also, If you don't play ray traced games, then there is no point to shell out some extra cash for any of the RTX GPU.

Last edited:
A second/third vote for the RTX 5700 NAVI GPU. I'm still waiting for custom AIB models to launch soon.

They are always late to the party, lol.
They have.

You can pick up a Sapphire pukse twin fan RX5700/xt for $10 more tha their blower equivalents. They fix the overheating and noise issues.

I believe you can get a power color reddevil and some other models currently.

I also like the 5700 choice, but to be honest for most people who game at 1080p, either card is more than sufficient.

They have.

You can pick up a Sapphire pukse twin fan RX5700/xt for $10 more tha their blower equivalents. They fix the overheating and noise issues.

I believe you can get a power color reddevil and some other models currently.

I also like the 5700 choice, but to be honest for most people who game at 1080p, either card is more than sufficient.

Yeah, I'm aware of all the custom Models. But I prefer buying POWERCOLOR brand. Check my profile post;;;; :tongueout: