Three Big Announcements Coming from Valve

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

hopefully it will be hl2 ep. 3, a dota game, and a portal/halflife crossover

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I hope they use the where-is-the-player-looking tech to incorporate an advanced depth of field. Like, in CoD and many other shooters, the image is focused at the object/place where you are aiming with your gun. But with this, it could track where are you looking on screen and then adjust the depth-of-field effect so that the image is focused on where you are looking. Of course, it would have problems with transparent windows, but it would still be a lot better than dof effects which orientate around scripts and where you are pointing the gun.

And the other biometric stuff would be great for timing some action scenes, where there's something scary supposed to happen.

And a linux port would be AWESOME TOO!!!!

screechy

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
1 name change to skynet
2 use "biometrics" to control the human race
3 take over the world with an army of gamers.

At least that's what I'd do *evil laugh*

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
"This is why Valve continues to be successful and draw in their fans... because they pay ATTENTION to what gamers want"

Ya, because every gamer wants to wait 2+ years in between episodic releases that only contain 5 hrs of gameplay.

shadowamazon

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I won't exactly call my last experience from valve shocking, but rather "disappointing" is probably a better word. So be prepared to be disappointed again?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
VALVe and Mr. Newell have had alot of talking going on lately and I for one think its AWESOME! IMHO they are the best at what they do! They are always in-tune with thier fans and gaming community. They get involved try new things and always give 110%, instead of sitting back in the coner.

I am a VALVe fanboy aswell, nothing wrong with that.

1.New Source Engine
2.HL2-EP3
3.I dont need a #3 first two would be fine with me :)

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
"Shocking"....

They got bought up by Sony and absorbed by the thatgamecompany division, and they're releasing episodic content for flOw and Flower built with the Source engine?

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Wonder What it could be,

half life 2 ep3 / half life 3
Left4dead 3
Half life Movie produced by valve
Steam for Linux
their feet are itchy
Duke Nukem for Forever
steam for playstation 3

Could be anything!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]Wonder What it could be,half life 2 ep3 / half life 3Left4dead 3Half life Movie produced by valveSteam for Linuxtheir feet are itchyDuke Nukem for Foreversteam for playstation 3Could be anything![/citation]
I take back my previous list and move:

Steam / Source games for Linux as my #1 wish.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The other 2 announcements are not important because Valve is going to be involved in the development of the new Starcraft movie.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Waethorn[/nom]"SURPRISE! Half-Life 3 is a PS3 exclusive."[/citation]

Dude...if that were true I'd probably have to kill myself...

pwnzerage

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
THREE big suprises? It's obvious the releasing Ep. THREE or HL THREE... Or maybe we have to wait THREE more months/years/decades/centuries/milleniums/eras/eons....

Or maybe it has nothing to do with Half-Life at all... *sigh*...

G

If no half-life 2 episode 3 or even half-life 3, I will lose all respect for valve. Even if the cake is not a lie.

I copy and paste Waethorn's 09/01/2010 11:29 PM response:
Because we love when a company produces a hit video game then proceeds to claim switching to episodic content allows the developer to release new chapters faster. Half-Life in 1998. Half-Life 2 in 2004. 2005 saw a new demo from the Source engine, Lost Coast and introduced HDR in the Source engine. Half-Life 2 episode 1 was 2006. Half-Life 2 episode 2 was 2007. Between Half-Life and Half-Life 2 there were seven other items released by Valve. That's six years. Following that identified trend, gamers have 3 more years of false promises from Valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.