kevin.karthaus97

Honorable
Nov 26, 2018
Hello guys,

long time since I last posted here, so I guess lucky me.
However I recently run into this problem.

I bought a MSI Thunderbolt M3 Addon Card that is officially supporting my MSI Z390 A-Pro Motherboard.
In fact I was running the card quite well until yesterday.
I tried to fix a latency issue in my audio software and since I change a few bios settings the card does not show up anymore. I tried out so many solutions, none of them work.
Before I followed MSIs own advice and installed the driver on a „base system device“ that will show up after you installed the card and plugged a device in.
https://storage-asset.msi.com/globa...040946@Detect_Device_on_ThunderboltM30422.pdf
However, this device does not appear anymore, I tried literally everything, clean Win install, severals drivers, bios settings, regular usb c devices instead, I even did a bios downgrade and cmos reset.
Still nothing showing up.

I thought I might have damaged the card, however when I plug any other device in like my iphone etc. it connects and charges but does not show up in windows.

I got a backup from two days ago where everything worked fine, when rolling back it does not show as well. Any chance to get this running or does someone at least have an idea why it is not showing up as „base system device“ even after clean install?

Lutfij

Titan
I tried out so many solutions, none of them work.
What have you tried that resulted in the creation of this thread? It's so we're not repeating steps that didn't aid you.

clean Win install
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? In an ideal world, you don't downgrade your BIOS since it can and will lead to a bricked board.

I tried to fix a latency issue in my audio software and since I change a few bios settings the card does not show up anymore.
What have you done in BIOS that had resulted in the card being inoperable in the OS? Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

kevin.karthaus97

Honorable
Nov 26, 2018
I tried out so many solutions, none of them work.
What have you tried that resulted in the creation of this thread? It's so we're not repeating steps that didn't aid you.

clean Win install
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? In an ideal world, you don't downgrade your BIOS since it can and will lead to a bricked board.

I tried to fix a latency issue in my audio software and since I change a few bios settings the card does not show up anymore.
What have you done in BIOS that had resulted in the card being inoperable in the OS? Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

Hey, so first off thanks for the reply.

Well I tried to reinstall the Thunderbolt drivers that are advertised in the MSI guide, also tried to install newer ones, none of them fix it. The device is since then greyed out and does not appear. I tried uninstalling all Thunderbolt drivers, reinstalling them. I tried deleting the devices from device manager. I made a clean win 10 install, made from the media creation tool on a usb drive.
Right now I’m running the newest bios which worked with the pcie card before, I tried going to an old version, but pc won’t boot then, I reverted back to the newest bios (E0).
I also tried cleaning CMOS by removing the battery. Still no fix either.

The issue appeared when I was working in studio one, a daw for music production.
I noticed my thunderbolt apollo twin audio interface was creating recording offset so I tried a few things not related to thunderbolt.
I then decided it could have to do with the device not properly sending the latency to the computer and decided to look it up in bios.
I changed quite a few things, after I changed the first few options nothing happened and it was still working fine. I then changed several settings in one go and I think one of them messed it up.
I tried changing:
-Native OS security for tbt
-acpi notify on tbt hot plug
-Gpio3 force power
-gpio filter
-enable clk req
-enable aspm
-enable ltr (latency)
-enable ptm (timing)
-Enable tbt aspm

I was messing especially with the last 5, thats where the issue was created I think.

Also when enabling Windows 10 Thunderbolt support, I get following alert:
-prepare thunderbird native mode OK, but host is not presented. please make sure host NVM is also for native mode - PCI resource is controlled over OS.

However, I really want to know if I might have damaged the card, if thats even possible. Is there a way to find out if windows even detects the physical card in the pcie slot?

TRENDING THREADS