Tiger Direct and Reservations Rewards

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
OK, I've been doing work travel pretty much continuously since February and just lately have been catching up on home life junk. I normally review credit/debit card statements monthly because I've been shafted before and you gotta watch out for yourself. Anyway, I noticed a $9 charge by "Reservation Rewards" and my wife didn't know what it was. The CC bill had their 800 number so I called and after sifting through their phonemail system for an eternity, I finally found out that when I placed an order through Tiger Direct, I'd been "automatically" signed up for Res Rewards. So for the last five months, these guys had been hitting my card for 9 bucks a month. I knew that I had not knowingly signed up for this account so I got them to credit the $45 back onto my card without much of a hassle.

I will NEVER buy anything from Tiger Direct again!!!

jlach

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Not sure if this is the same situation, but I know that when you place an order they give you a "save $10 blah blah" ad. If you sign up for the $10 cash-back you do get it, but you also get signed up for the Reservation Rewards or similar subscription fee scam. It is also a 3rd party and not actually affiliated with TigerDirect... blaming TigerDirect for it is kind of like blaming a website for those stupid "Free iPod" ads.

Of course, if you didn't actually sign up for it then you obviously shouldn't have gotten the fees.

I've personally ordered from TigerDirect nearly exclusively and have nothing but good things to say about them.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Not sure if this is the same situation, but I know that when you place an order they give you a "save $10 blah blah" ad. If you sign up for the $10 cash-back you do get it, but you also get signed up for the Reservation Rewards or similar subscription fee scam. It is also a 3rd party and not actually affiliated with TigerDirect... blaming TigerDirect for it is kind of like blaming a website for those stupid "Free iPod" ads.

Of course, if you didn't actually sign up for it then you obviously shouldn't have gotten the fees.

I've personally ordered from TigerDirect nearly exclusively and have nothing but good things to say about them.

I just looked at my hard copy receipt. No $10 off, no mention of any RR deal. The RR guy admitted that mine was not the first complaint.

jlach

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Yea, either way it's a pretty shady deal. My main point was that I would be just as quick to blaim RR as TD, either way it pays to be aware of that kind of stuff. It's a shame some "businesses" can be so underhanded.

Mr_Breeze

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
At least they gave you your money back and didn't hassle you about it. You never know what could have caused it, maybe some unintentional error in the HTML.

BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
OK, I've been doing work travel pretty much continuously since February and just lately have been catching up on home life junk. I normally review credit/debit card statements monthly because I've been shafted before and you gotta watch out for yourself. Anyway, I noticed a $9 charge by "Reservation Rewards" and my wife didn't know what it was. The CC bill had their 800 number so I called and after sifting through their phonemail system for an eternity, I finally found out that when I placed an order through Tiger Direct, I'd been "automatically" signed up for Res Rewards. So for the last five months, these guys had been hitting my card for 9 bucks a month. I knew that I had not knowingly signed up for this account so I got them to credit the $45 back onto my card without much of a hassle.

I will NEVER buy anything from Tiger Direct again!!!

-----------------------------

I just noticed this post, because I haven't been to this forum before.

Last Oct. I bought a pile of stuff from TD in Canada. I got the message about the reservation rewards and I clicked yes.

I then got an e-mail congratulating me, I read thet e-mail over twice and discovered the monthly fee. I phoned and cancelled immediately. Now that I know about reservation rewards, I still buy from TD, but I always decline the reward offer.

I certainly don't like that sort of business practice. You gotta be on the ball, no matter where you shop.

-Bob

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I just noticed this post, because I haven't been to this forum before.

Last Oct. I bought a pile of stuff from TD in Canada. I got the message about the reservation rewards and I clicked yes.

I then got an e-mail congratulating me, I read thet e-mail over twice and discovered the monthly fee. I phoned and cancelled immediately. Now that I know about reservation rewards, I still buy from TD, but I always decline the reward offer.

I certainly don't like that sort of business practice. You gotta be on the ball, no matter where you shop.

I can somewhat understand a shop like TD trying to earn an extra buck, but what chapped my butt was that I didn't click on "yes" and they admitted that I didn't. I'd been "automaticaly" signed up. What a croc.

gailwinds

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Like all the people before me, I got a reservation rewards bill for $12 on this months Visa-I did not sign up for anything except the stuff I bought at Tiger direct and the so-called $20 dollar rebate which is run by reservations rewards. I emailed Tiger Direct and said a company was pretending to be a part of tiger direct by using the same web design as TD. TD staff emailed me and said they were a legitimate company that gave $20 off the next purchase you make-I told them I had called Visa and reported a billing from RR-and Visa told me that RR was planning on billing me each month for a year!

How did RR get My Visa number? Why is Tiger Direct backing up this Reservations reward thing even when it is fraudulently taking your visa number from TD.?

And while I am getting my money back it does nothing except leave a dirty taste in my mouth and consumers are supposed to be aware but come on-give me a break-a reputable company doesn't associate themselves with fraudulent companies because they get a kick in the ass from consumers who get scammed for their money each month. Nevermind I have reported the fraud with Canadian authorities so may this protect the next person who thinks Tiger direct is reputable. Not in my experience.

juncwil

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Yea that is pretty shady if they got your visa # even though you did not give it to them. I personally don't shop at TD because they look shady to me.

G

I've never had anything to do with tiger direct and just got a 12.00 bill on my debit card. They let me cancel but still charged the 12.00 and I don't how to fix it.

what is ur asl

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
I did the offer on allegiant for 50$ casback on next flight. I completed the offer, and immediately cancelled my membership. I got a confirmation email. I check my bank account daily for charges to make sure it doesnt sneak up on me.. Nothing yet. I was given a reference number re: my cashback rebate, soooo I will post if I am able to actually get the 50$ back WITHOUT paying for anything from reservation rewards.

what is ur asl

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Well, it worked out fine. I signed up, and then cancelled my membership. filed my cash back thing and got a 50$ check and also a 10$ check for some reason? Anyway, they did not charge me. ever. I mean yeah its kind of a scam, they put tiny print that says they charge you monthly if you dont cancel and make cancelling confusing - but it's definitely worth 50 free bucks..