Tilera Goes After AMD, Intel, With 100-Core CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlux

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
This is just excessive to the point of being silly. Frozenlead has it right. What good is that many cores when 4 of them these days don't even get used by a majority of programs.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Interesting, but I'd like to see benchmarks to back up their claims on reduced power consumption. As well as out performing other CPU's on the market. Also 100 cores seems a tad excessive, and more cores doesn't always equate to more performance.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Prices? Benchmarks? Programs that can take advantage of that many cores?

Definitely interesting, but I've never heard of them before this article.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]I want benchmarks.Even if these things are amazingly powerful, 98/100 cores (on occasion 96) still won't be able to be really utilized. Software just isn't that advanced yet.[/citation]

these processors are for servers with massive number of threads running , not for our average desktop !

G

you guys are loosing the point.The market segment Tilera is after is the business one.....And those programs are multi-core(16+ at least) optimized for quite a long time

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
It's not excessive. You need to get out of the personal/gaming use mentality. Back when 800 Mhz was the high end processing speed people thought anything over a GHz was excessive. I could already see the usefulness of this in regards to server virtualization.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Um, what are these CPU compatible with? Do they run some form of Linux? Do they have an emulation stack for x86 or x64 instructions? As soon as I see what this thing has for processing you could say it has a billion cores and it would be nearly useless.

daniel266

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
WOOW we want to know price and other question is about the socket of this thong is just for servers or can it run a windows like others i want it for render im sure 3dmax will like the 100 core edition :)

G

I don't think this is aimed at personal computing. It is meant for servers, where code is often rewritten if necessary for the hardware.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
AMD was great while it lasted. Its sad to see them go. lol j/k, but something tells me this will be a huge move for the server market. It could be for the desktop market depending on them getting clock speeds up and becoming compliant with x64 and x86.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
the upcoming nvidia fermi has 512 cores with a coding model somewhat more similar to traditional SMP systems , with 16 concurrent kernels (independent code) at one time . think massively parallel , guys . fermi , larrabee , HPC etc . how about ray tracing on one of these ?

G

Read the article, they aren't targeting desktop users.
"said that customers would be able to yank out the twelve or more processors currently encompassing systems with just one TILE-Gx processor"

How many desktop users are running boxes with 12+ processors?

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
systems with a huge core count like larrabee , fermi , and this have simpler cores than , say ,heavyweight cores like nehalem /phenom . they excel at simple number crunching and similar apps .

G

CAN IT RUN CRISIS : my guess is no

and still need to develop software that uses it.

but nice technologie

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I thought only AMD & VIA had licenses to make X86 compatible processors. I wouldn't think Intel wold be giving out more licenses so another company would compete with them.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I highly doubt that Intel licensed the x86 technology to them so this product will not be compatible with most consumer software. It is definitely aimed to server or media applications running on Linux. I could see it running render or server farms but it is unlikely that any of the applications you have heard of will be able to run on this platform.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
100 might be excessive for personal use but 4 cores can easily be used at 100% these days during heavy multi-task sessions. In any case they say that the 100 core will be out in Q2 2011 (psst! we're still in 2009 and 100 core might aimed for cheap servers) and with time things only get improved. I support anyone who tries to take the first step.

It's the same with electric vehicles: no one is going to create electric vehicles if there are no (hopefully solar charged) plug-in stations. No one is going to create those plug-in stations if there are no electric cars. It's a catch22 unless someone gets their balls out.

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I severely doubt that Autodesk will be modifying any code to utilize this number of processors. Then you have the 3rd party developers of rendering plugins wringing hands at the thought of charging even more for multiple core rendering packages.

Also...don't they mean Q4 2009? Alot can change in one year. AMD and INTEL won't ever reach 100 cores in CPU tech but if they don't have a working demo it will just end up being one of those obscure chips that the general consumer has never heard of.

My call is server chip at best. The only other hope is for Mac to choose this chip as the new CPU in it's MacPro's if they don't like the deal they have with Intel.

That's my call. Mac picks up this chip and severs ties with Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.