TIME Makes List of 100 Greatest Videogames

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smelly_feet

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
In addition to what was mentioned above:

pong, space invaders, pac man, asteroids, centipede, bruce lee, archon, ultima, the leisure suit larry series, Pole position, the original GTA (top down view), original mario, castle wolfenstien/doom, choplifter.

The list should also include Android/ipod games (eg. Angry birds) and other handheld devices (eg. metro for gameboy.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hotsacoman[/nom]Time has NO business rating videogames.[/citation]

they didnt rank em. they just have a list, and it is VERY good all things considered.
only a few notable wtf entrys like masseffect 3 and oblivion and missing games like oot or mario 3 (i think should be there instead of mario 1 if you want to go a best of list)

this list is FAR better than most gaming site lists i have come across.

[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]wii sports made the list.. lmao[/citation]
like it or not, that game single handedly showed everyone what motion games could be like (wii sports had no waggle fests if i remember) and sold most systems than even mario and zelda on that system.

[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]No demon souls/ dark souls/ skyrim? lol whut[/citation]
demon souls is on there. [citation][nom]smelly_feet[/nom]In addition to what was mentioned above:pong, space invaders, pac man, asteroids, centipede, bruce lee, archon, ultima, the leisure suit larry series, Pole position, the original GTA (top down view), original mario, castle wolfenstien/doom, choplifter.The list should also include Android/ipod games (eg. Angry birds) and other handheld devices (eg. metro for gameboy.[/citation]
many of what you listed are on the list.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Terrible, it gets the obvious ones but puts in some wt f? Things that are missing, zork nemesis, alpha centauri, phantasy star 2, etc ...

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Any top games list that doesn't feature Ocarina of Time is garbage. Almost everyone can agree that that game is at least ONE of the best games ever made.

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Top 100 game lists are a dime a dozen. Seriously? Who at Time said, "making a top 100 video games of ALL TIME would be a good idea!"? It looks like someone took all the games he could remember and posted them.

I mean who chooses TES4: Oblivion as the best? It was damn good, but not the best.... and ocorina of time is at #1 in 90% of these lists...... not even on time's list.

And flower? Braid? Wii sports? Yeah, they were innovative, but that doesn't make them the "best".

G

i found oblivion more entertaining then morrowind just because there is audio for EVERY chat.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]cats_paw[/nom]TIME writing a game list is like toms writing a cooking list.P.S. Mass effect came out in 2010?[/citation]

really apt comment !! what a joke time's list is
pathetic list of mostly console games - where all those games even on home consoles, or where they only available on the quarter eaters??

G

I don't understand how Ocarina of Time isn't on there, as well as any of the PC-based Battlefield games. This list is flawed.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
List is a joke but it also depends on ones own beliefs of what the best games are, If you are an older gamer then that maybe back in the classic,C64 and Amiga days, If you are EVEN older it may be Pong/Pacman/Space Invaders as back then you were a kid nd it was the best thing ever. Kids in 90's will choose different games on different platforms.
I must say though how can the Grand daddy of all RTS/God games not be on there, POPULOUS!
If it wasn't for that game we wouldn't have what we have now.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Gaboro[/nom]Eye of beholder:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_o [...] ideo_game)Powermonger:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowermongerSupremacy/Overlord:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overl [...] ideo_game)The Settlers:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_SettlersDiablo:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_(series)World of Warcraft:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft[/citation]

Thumbed you up, Powermonger was one of the best games I played on Amiga. I hope they do a remake of it one day on the pc!

G

No one there, or here, mentioned "Elite" - the grandaddy of Space exploration trading/combat. Shame on Time and shame on you supposed gaming geeks!

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
This surely must be the worst list ever.

I had to read the 90;s list twice, since I couldn't find neither Half-life nor Quake 3.

Come on!
Half-life was voted "game of the century" or "Best game ever" in many lists in the early 2000;s, surely it hasn't become so much worse since then.
It redefined fps-shooters.

And Quake 3 was revolutionary in it's high end graphics (a mainstay for benchmarking for years) and fast-pace intensive multiplayer action.
The two most-talked about games in the late 90;s, by a mile!

The lone fact that these two massive 90;s games isn't even on the list makes it irrelevant in my eyes!

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
So...Counter-Strike and Half-Life 2 make it for the 2000s, but Half-Life didn't make it for the 1990s?

Also, Angry Birds made it on that list.

I have some choice words for TIME, but I will let them live in my head ;)

Jigo

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
[citation][nom]SirDevon[/nom]They forgot Dragon's Lair! I spent many a quarter playing that game.[/citation]
you mean, a quarter pasing the first 2 screens ? ;) hate the game

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]IQ11110002[/nom]Thumbed you up, Powermonger was one of the best games I played on Amiga. I hope they do a remake of it one day on the pc![/citation]
they did a version of powermonger on PC , i still have my copy of it , can't get it to work on anew computer though , it was made for DOS , so win98 or older is a must to get it running.

Status
Not open for further replies.