Question Time to upgrade the I5 7600k in 2019?

HiveXV

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
My Birthday is around the corner and I'm interested to see if the I5 7600k would need to be upgraded for this year.

Here's my current build

CPU: Intel Core I5-7600K
GPU RTX 2070 8GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666 MHz
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62

I was thinking about looking into the 8700k as I play the latest AAA titles and don't want to fall behind on graphical settings.

So is the 7600k an Upgrade I need to make this year or would it be more then fine to stay with.

Thank you in advance.

RealBeast

Titan
I would hold out for another year minimum. You really are not going to get much out of an upgrade from that CPU unless you pretty much only play big Civ 6 games.

The AMD Ryzen 3 line is coming and should be pretty interesting, as well as Intel's response (if any at this point).

mgallo848

Commendable
I would hold out for another year minimum. You really are not going to get much out of an upgrade from that CPU unless you pretty much only play big Civ 6 games.

The AMD Ryzen 3 line is coming and should be pretty interesting, as well as Intel's response (if any at this point).
I agree.

Overclock it (if you aren't already) and wait til the end of this year and see what's out there.

You will know when you need to upgrade...don't let anyone tell you '4c/4t doesnt cut it!' until you feel the games you play at your chosen res at your refresh rate are beginning to suffer.

Many 4c/4t CPU owners report still fine performance in all games they play. I believe their assessments.

(Granted, the 4c/4t CPUs are a bit more challenged in BF1 and BF5....)

HiveXV

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
I'd agree with everyone else, hang fire and overclock it if you haven't already. I've got an i5-6600k @ 4.7GHz with a 1070Ti and it plays everything on high or ultra at 1080p 144Hz without any problems.
I went ahead and overclocked to 4.2 GHz with a 1.100 CPU Voltage as I was still on 3.8 GHz. I mainly play new releases so I want to be running on high at least above 60fps at all times.

TRENDING THREADS