Question Tips for oled monitor

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
I’m looking at getting the Alienware 32” 4k qd oled monitor and would like some tips and such to keep it as good and in working order as possible
Is it true that sunlight hitting the monitor will cause issues? As sometimes I have my curtains open and my monitor sits next to the windows.
Should I turn off taskbar and desktop icons?
Would it be a good idea to set the monitor to refresh every 3 hours if possible? I tend to game for somewhat long sessions with some occasional downtime away from the pc
Any tips please add them so I can understand thank you!

Edit - will a qd oled be good for normal gaming and such? I play a lot of hunt showdown and war thunder, and various other things, will I be at risk of damaging the monitor?

Last edited:
For the most part the firmware for the screens should handle things like refreshing. Mostly I'd suggest staying away from bright static images being displayed as even the best of refreshing you'll end up with lines over time. Things like documents/spreadsheets/websites shouldn't always be located in the same place on the screen to minimize chances of this happening.

Direct sunlight can potentially be damaging, but as far as I'm aware it really needs to be often and direct. The real question here would be how bright is the room because OLED screens are not good in bright rooms.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
For the most part the firmware for the screens should handle things like refreshing. Mostly I'd suggest staying away from bright static images being displayed as even the best of refreshing you'll end up with lines over time. Things like documents/spreadsheets/websites shouldn't always be located in the same place on the screen to minimize chances of this happening.

Direct sunlight can potentially be damaging, but as far as I'm aware it really needs to be often and direct. The real question here would be how bright is the room because OLED screens are not good in bright rooms.
How bright would be too bright for it to be effective? When it’s sunny I tend to shut my curtains to stop sun glare on my current monitor, otherwise I can’t really control how bright it gets, I’ll do a check later when it’s mid day ish and see how bright my room gets with a Lux monitor

Last edited by a moderator: