Question Symetrical system throughput?

FreeBee101

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
I'm sure I'm missing something very basic about a systems performance here, but is there a point in having a sytem with equal gpu and ram throughput?

I was thinking of upgrading when and if a system could get a gpu with 192gb throughput and 192 ram throughput.

I'm assuming this would be minimally possible when:

1. 5090 has 512bit bus and 3000mhz performance. (preferably with 24 or 48gb capacity)
2. 12000mhz ddr5 exists in 4x48gb or 2x96gb format.

Can any current or likely upcoming system do this. And is it useful? This would be a general computer with something like a 7950x or x3d or similar future system.

Can the boards of any components use this type of bandwitch?

Ideally this would be with a double ultrawide system for all purpose use. Even more ideally with a future microled with a 12 year lifespan. But that looks like it won't exist any time soon.

Last edited:
System RAM and video card VRAM are completely independent from each other. System RAM does not affect the performance of the video card* and VRAM does not affect the performance of the CPU. So there's no real point in trying to match any spec about one or the other. Especially since it's kind of impossible or impractical to do so.

* While system RAM can help in situations where VRAM has run out, this is not an ideal situation to be in.

FreeBee101

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...ia-panmnesias-cxl-ip#xenforo-comments-3848377

Any chance this will bring the need or ability to use system ram as extra Vram? Fedoras system cache is now used as compressed ram. Would this be useful one day on desktop/gaming systems? Would that kind of throughput matching help at all if it could?

Edit:
To address this, Panmnesia developed a CXL 3.1-compliant root complex (RC) equipped with multiple root ports (RPs) that support external memory over PCIe) and a host bridge with a host-managed device memory (HDM) decoder that connects to the GPU's system bus. The HDM decoder, responsible for managing the address ranges of system memory, essentially makes the GPU's memory subsystem 'think' that it is dealing with system memory, but in reality, the subsystem uses PCIe-connected DRAM or NAND. That means either DDR5 or SSDs can be used to expand the GPU memory pool.

Last edited:

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...ia-panmnesias-cxl-ip#xenforo-comments-3848377

Any chance this will bring the need or ability to use system ram as extra Vram? Fedoras system cache is now used as compressed ram. Would this be useful one day on desktop/gaming systems? Would that kind of throughput matching help at all if it could?
1987 Amiga computers. "FastMemFirst" Used the system RAM before the VRAM. Puny amounts by today's standards.
Just had to throw that in here. :)