To upgrade or not to upgrade?

sparky2010

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Hi guys!

I've done some searching around, and haven't yet gotten any solid data.

My question is: do I upgrade my graphics cards or not?

Current setup:
Proc: i7-2600k
MB: Gigabyte P67-UD5
GPU: 2x 6950 2 gb

The question is if I want to upgrade to next gen graphics, is it worth it on the current processor/mobo set up because they don't support PCIe 3.0?

Will the GPUs function to their 100%? I was trying to find benchmarks or articles that detail differences between PCIe 3.0 and 2.0 and what the performance impact would be.

Depending on that, I'll either upgrade just the graphics, or wait another year and upgrade the entire system.

Graphics cards in mind are either 2x 7950s or 2x 670s...

Anyone know of a benchmark out there that can help?

Thanks!

Cards will not be bottlenecked.

perfrel.gif

Source

Question is, do you need more performance? Is your current setup unsatisfactory? If the question is yes, then upgrade. Otherwise, stay with what you have.

randomkid

Distinguished

A year from now, your i7 2600K & your 2x6950 will still be great & currently, those 2x6950 should be maxing out most games. It is better to spend your money on an SSD ( if you haven't done so ) or triple monitor for Eyefinity. These at least will change you gaming experience more than extra fps will.

sparky2010

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Yeah I think I'll wait a year at least before doing any major changes.

The SSD is a great idea, unfortunately where I live they're quite expensive, but will try to find one or two.

The eyefinity idea is also great, but i'm hesitant cause of how the games might scale on that, especially games like BF3, DCS:Black Shark and so on.. but will definitely try it out!

Thanks a lot for the answers!