Tom's Hardware Giveaway - Dishonored GOTY!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shiva92

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
Pre-ordered Farcry 4 two months before launch and I was very eager to play it on the first day. After 1 hour of installation time, all I got was black screen :p

xenokalson

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
Well, I was playing Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and my brother jumped in the room, pressing the 'Enter' button. You know what happened next... Luckily it wasn't something as intensive as the CSGO now.

Adalad

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Once in a gaming party a mate complained about his WIRELESS keyboard not working. I checked everything and the solution was simple, batteries ran out. The answer was: "It has batteries?". True story, I swear.

fl-gators-fan

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Hummmmmmm...........A PC related fail that happened to me is my external HD that I kept all my ripped CD's failed and I didn't have a darn backup!! Crazy I know, but it was a few years ago and I didn't know as much PC related info as I do now :)

It was an older 250gb external HD that was almost filled up with all the Heavy Metal CD's I own that I ripped to it. I had to buy a new external HD and do the "whole" agonizing process all over again, but this time I have 3 backups! :) I now have all my music on my main HD, an external HD and everything is also backed up in the cloud that I pay for.

All in all, I learned a valuable lesson about having multiple backups of the same things :D

AceAttorney

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2014
Was at a friend's house playing FIFA on his PC. He was losing a match 2-1 at half-time. Told him to hand me the reins and I'd show him how real men play FIFA. Ended up losing 7-1.
Needless to say,I was the butt of all jokes in my friend circle for the next few weeks.

razvanc

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
When Counter Strike was very popular and was being played in all internet cafes (at least in my country this happened) I went with the guys I knew to play, because they were insisting that it's the best thing EVER. After spending 10 minutes to customize my soldier I completely forgot how I looked. First thing I do: I see a group of 4 guys hiding behind some crates. I go next to them from behind and start shooting like crazy. I stopped when 4 guys in unison started yelling: you're on our team!

Bonus shame: I still couldn't tell the difference between my team and theirs, so I was just shooting people that shot me or shooting people which the ones that weren't shooting me were shooting.

rmse17

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
I drive a motorcycle, and I remember when Crysis Warhead came out, driving to BestBuy to get a copy. I was so excited about playing it, that I forgot to zip up my backpack on the way back... I turn on my computer, go to get the game out, and it's gone. It's a long way to BestBuy, and while I drove back to try to spot it, I never did find that copy.

erockem

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Building a rig for my buddy. New Athlon x2 chip. Installed, worked great. Pulled out, overclocked connecting the resisters on the top. Installed, turned on. Smoke. Realize I forgot to reinstall the heatsink. $300 down the drain. :(

NamSey

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
I was in a raid with 20 other people, and I /follow one other player while I went AFK to get a drink. Came back to find raid group wiped from a train of trash mobs caused by character. And kept quiet about it. Hehe..Oops...

Rakanyshu

Distinguished
Spilled coke on my PC and didn't realize until I bought a new GPU, the GTX 550 Ti had a layer of coke in the back plate but was still working, cleaned it and gave it to my wife for her Desktop, she is still playing the sims 4 and league of legends at max with that GPU. My brother and my wife were laughing at me when I opened my PC case and had to clean a lot of hardware that was spilled with coke. I'm still surprised about the quality of the parts I purchased.

Nachoman64

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
Note: There´s alcohol consumption involved in the folllowing story.

A buddy had a little HP pc which case didn't have an entrance for an additional cd-rom device, and he wanted to install a brand new cd-burner, without loosing the cd-rom. He asked if aI could help, so I see what tools are available in the department. I found something. We proceed to dismantle all the parts until we have only the case. So I took the AXE-SHAPED-STONE I found in the backyard, and proceed to ...rearrange the innards of the case. I succeded. My buddy's new brand cd-burner do enter the case, just like if it was pre-built for doing so. I'm so proud. After reassembling everything back, it turns out that THE NEW BURNER COLLIDES WITH THE RAM, and my buddy always remind me of this at every chance he gets. Dishonor.

ffleader1

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
haha
this one was easy.
When I was younger and had little knowledge about PC hardware...and ZERO knowledge about thermal paste.
I took the CPU fan (Intel stock fan) out, took the CPU out (E4300)...
Then place both back...
Guess how many seconds did it take for the CPU to reach 90C ?

oobymach

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
my first real gaming build back when amd athlon was just breaking the 1ghz range I built a liquid cooling rig to oc, including a resevoir and a homemade pump my homemade heatsink (which resembled modern cpu liquid cooling blocks so engineering plus on my part) sprung a leak, the epoxy I used to seal the tiny heatsink in the modified rf converter sprung a leak as the cpu heated up the contact plate and it partially melted the cpu as well as fubar the motherboard. I've avoided liquid cooling ever since :p

Justdwyer

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
Playing Skyrim, got into one of the dwemer ruins that only have one exit, could not get through without dying. Tried ten times, didn't have a backup save. Had to drop the difficult all the way down. Dishonored...

Batpimpn

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
The story,

One of the first times I was building a pc I was unscrewing the old mobo and adding in the new mobo. In my forgetfulness I left a screw lying around in the case and when I powered it up I electrocuted the new mobo. I had to replace it AGAIN at my own cost because of my stupidity. Lesson learned. Always check for loose nuts and bolts once you are about to power on the pc again.

kireato

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
I spent the longest time figuring out why my graphic cards didn't work despite turning on, before realizing it required two power cables and I had only plugged one in...

The facepalm was real.

rulejunior

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
I bought a cheap power supply. Never again

Then of course I had a system where I forgot to plug in the lead for the power button to work. 2 hours wasted trying to figure that out

Andulvar

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
First lan party I had after moving in with an old friend we had over 12 people come over, everyone with own monitors and PCs. Now back in those days we didn't have a lot of power on our PSU's but in a small two bedroom apartment you can imagine how bad the power outages were until we figured out which rooms had their own breakers so we could have a few PC's in each room without causing a power outage. After about three or failures we finally got everything set up.

Sadly couldn't do any baking or cooking while everything was plugged everywhere so instead of making cookies and pizza for everyone we just ordered out.

We also found that we needed a lot more fans than the three we had. Damn living room/ dining room felt like saunas with all the PC's going, bodies and summer heat, as well as like the 12 large 14 inch pizzas we had.

Reese Horsley

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
My first PC's case didn't come with enough standoff pins so we had to salvage from one of my dad's old ones. Later we realized i hadn't bought a cd drive so I had to go buy one from best buy, after my friend who helped me build it laughed about it.

Archgaull

Admirable
First time building my PC from scratch, I get everything hooked up and assembled, hit the power button, and nothing. So I freak the heck out, spend like 2 hours googling trying to figure out what the problem is, another couple hours on customer support chats with various part manufacturers, and I finally figure out the issue: I'd forgot to flip the power switch on the power supply from off to on.

Status
Not open for further replies.