Tom's Hardware Giveaway - Dying Light!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gamekill

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Zombie Fio from Metal Slug 3 (female player character Fiolina, turned into a zombie by the enemies).
Manages to unrelentlessly vomit acid 50 feet away!!

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Left 4 Dead 1 and 2. The zombies were great because they were fast and menacing. The first time I played Left 4 Dead, they definitely kept me on the edge of my seat.

blackops07

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I think the OG Left 4 Dead was the zombie game that had the biggest impact on me. The screams before on coming waves, the safe houses, Bill.

IMTECH

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
I've never thought about it, to be honest. Actually, I haven't played a lot zombie themed games.

I've tried playing Plants vs. Zombies 2, tho. The most memorable one for me was the Pianist Zombie. That thing was ridiculous as it got angrier (faster movement and faster play) the more you damaged it.

hazzac181

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
I have two.

First was the Gastly, a gas/ghost Pokemon on those earlier games for the Gamboy/Gamboy Color. I was only six at the time, and it gave me nightmares!

More recently, I played P.T on a friend's PS4. And by Christ, that gave me nightmares too. I have never really played jump-scare horror games before, and the sheer randomness of the scares just left my friend and I hiding behind the couch, not wanting to go near the controller.

Good luck to the other entrants!
Edit: I should add that the Gastly isn't a zombie as such, I did call it a "zombie" for some reason. Maybe it was the weird face, I don't know.

SineNomine

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I got in to L4D pretty late. I was used to the slow moving zombies from other games, so the first time I played L4D and saw a huge horde running my way I'll admit I freaked out a little. Although in L4D they weren't really considered to be zombies, not sure if it counts.

Goldensword

Honorable
Sep 17, 2014
The Fleshpounds in Killing Floor. You're there holding off a wave and then you hear the dreaded noise of blades spinning up and a roar. Next thing you know you're dead.

Psyco_Sam

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
i love the starcraft 2 mod Zombies, these hordes are difficult to manage and like dying light day tiime vs night time makes it come and go allowing more complex assaults from the zombies

My personal favorite is the Witch from L4D2, not because of its concept or its implications in game, but how satisfying it is to run up on one and crown it with a single shell before it can even stand up.

I also do enjoy me some of the Zeds from both of the Killing Floor games, but those are technically experimental specimens rather than zombies!

Ahmed_juvale

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
So i think that the game that has the best zombies has to be the walking dead and all of the zombies in the dead island games. totes looking forward to getting dying light!

ixit

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
Definitely Left 4 Dead 2. They had a wide variety of zombies, and they reacted mildly appropriately to stimulus. I'm with you on the witch. Almost too sad to kill her. Almost.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
that's a hard decision. Doom 3, Painkiller, etc. so many awesome games involving and based on zombies.

I would have to say Killing Floor 2 is the most fun I've had in a zombie game besides Dying Light. I had always loved the early incarnations of Doom & Wolfenstein when i was younger and this game reminded me so much of them with a much more modern feel and multiplayer action. there's no cheesy story-line and bad mechanics getting in the way like Resident Evil or Dead Island games. not much suspense build-up like Dead Space & Doom 3, not that it was a bad thing in those games. just hordes of zombies to shoot until your team is overwhelmed or maybe surprisingly left standing alone in a field of blood, guts, and rotten human parts. some of the "boss" battles in Killing Floor got my blood pumping like most games don't manage to do anymore.

I spent quite a few hours playing Dying Light one evening at my sister's on my nephew's PC and I would have to say this is my favorite zombie themed game ever. a couple hours running around collecting crap and trying to get decent weapons were fun but getting stuck outdoors when the sun went down and running into my first night hunter actually had me sweating in my seat. fighting and parkouring my way to any light source hoping it was a place of refuge really made me want to keep leveling until I could stand a chance against the beasts.
ever since I've meant to pick up the game and get back into it but still never have.

REALRabidHamster

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
I really enjoy the zombies from Dead Island and Riptide. While Left4Dead holds many fond memories, both single player and co-op ... For me, the game play mechanics of the Dead Island series is what Left4Dead should have been !! And my favorite zombie is DI's version of the witch ... the Screamer !!. You gotta make sure to take her out quickly before she stuns you and you get swarmed by the rest of the horde !! Always a fun time !!

jonroberts26

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Zombies in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
What's worse than zombies after you? Flaming zombies after you.

I just recently started playing newer games, and the "new" zombies from Dead Island are also great. I can only imagine the upgrade to dying light.

Atterus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
I actually enjoyed the zombies from the Dead Island series. It wasn't the "special" zombies or the mechanics (which while the game was fun, took away from some of the experience) just the plain 'ol run of the mill braindead zombie.

See... there is something very entertaining about having a average zombie shuffling after you with intense desire from the other side of a pool, using every inch of its reanimated muscles to reach you, groaning all the way. Then, cycling through the various weapons as it continues its journey towards you, decide *exactly* how this poor soul will be rekilled. Should I hack off its head first? Or maybe take off it's arms to have it shuffle after me for an hour or two, as a companion trying to give me earnest encouragement with its teeth? But nay, on Riptide it was plugging its eyes with the nailgun and wondering how it could still see me.

It is the average zombie, the poor under recognized soulless soul that earns my seal of approval. For what are the special zombies but big targets or over-engineered mutations? Without the multitudes of the average zombie, there would be no infection, no crisis. While special types may gain our attention, they either fall all the same or are too few to turn the tides in those undead struggles. No, I say it is that first zombie that considered, "brraaaiiIINNNnnnssss...". That was the zombie with the original idea, the one that inspired all of the others. That simple infected declared its mandate to the hoard, and the hoard responded with unrequited obedience to that revolutionary idea.

For me, I enjoyed the variety that was granted on the Dead Island series. While there are plenty of fun zombie games to choose from, I simply found the Dead Island ones to be the most entertaining on a singleplayer basis. From the games I've played, it's the only series that is both fun playing solo as well as even more fun with friends (although the Wolfenstein crew was alot of fun too :) ).

But yeah... I enjoy the average zombie, I thought the Dead Island ones just were placed somewhere entertaining (nothing like hacking off a zombies legs in a stall and having it faceplant into the toilet it was just considering). Nothing as terrifying as a massive hoard charging, or entertaining as "stumpy the stumbling shambler" (don't let him get to close... he bites).

Keiton808

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
I love the hunter zombie in the left 4 dead series. First off they look awesomely terrifying with their hoodies and blood stained chins, then to top it all off, they stalk you until you're alone and pounce on you ripping at your torso until hopefully a teammate comes by to shoot them in the face. Hunters are pretty much the all around bad-a zombies.

Status
Not open for further replies.