Tom's Hardware Giveaway: Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Good Monday to you all! This is an exciting week for some people. Tomorrow is the official release of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain! And of course, we here at Tom’s Hardware are going to be giving a copy away!

Since we only have one copy this time (sorry guys) we’re going to make this really interesting. Here’s what you will have to do to enter this giveaway:

As somebody who has never played the games, I don’t know what the heck is going on anymore. It looks like there is a whole lot of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff going on. It’s confusing! In your own words, please explain to us the plot of the overall MGS story so far. Be creative. Make it funny and interesting, because for the first time, you will all be the judges for this week’s giveaway. That’s right, due to popular request, we’re going to experiment and let you pick the winners! Here’s how that will work: Simply upvote the post if you liked the person’s summary. It’s that simple. You can upvote as many as you’d like.

One rule though: Please do not downvote posts. If you didn’t like it, just skip over it. There’s a lot of potential for abuse here so we are strongly discouraging the use of downvotes. It also makes it a total hassle for me to track. If there is rampant abuse of downvoting, to the point where we can’t determine accurate numbers, the giveaway will have to be scrapped and redone in a less interesting manner. So there’s your warning.

The best (most popular) summary will win a pre-order copy of MGS V, which comes with Ground Zeroes!

As an added bonus, we here in the office will choose our favorite, who will be dubbed the runner-up and will receive a copy of Ground Zeroes!

Contest will run until 12 PM EDT on Friday, September 4th. That’s 12:00 noon. Winners will receive their prize via Steam gifts; a Steam account is required to receive and to play the game. One entry per user. Attempts to cheat the system will result in automatic disqualification.

Be sure to join our Steam group! The group is nearing 1,000 members, and we’ve got a great surprise planned for that, so help us reach that goal faster by inviting your friends!

We’re actively looking for volunteers to write community reviews for games, so if you’re interested, please reach out to me for more details.

ifIwasarichman

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014

To start with, I have not played ant of this series.
So I tried to figure out what they are about by reading this forum.
Well I was getting more and more confused as it seemed everyone was jumping around with the story line and characters , I am more used to the games going in some sort of chronological order, usually with the same main character/s. But then I read your post, not that the story got easier to understand (I think I would have to play it to do that), but you did explain it in a way that I could understand why I was getting confused.
Not the usual numerical progression,but MGS 3 -> MGS PW -> MGS GZ -> MGS TPP -> MG 1 -> MG 2 -> MGS1 -> MGS2 -> MGS4. So the story does jump all over the place with different main characters appearing and disappearing. Then there seem to be other forum comments stating that there are different versions or title names and even single country only (Japanese) versions. No wonder I got a little confused.
So when I get some time (and this will obviously take some time), I will look into it.
Something else has me wondering, I keep seeing different gaming consoles being mentioned, can someone let me know how well do they all play on a good Z97 crossfire gaming PC?

Heh, I remember mgs being on the nes, my cousin john had the game in 1990.
Tried playing it, gave up after 30 minutes, maybe it was abit too much for my current gaming skills.
Never knew it came out for msx though, I'll have to look at the wiki.

What describes mgs:
Part 1: a rookie of the FOXHOUND special operations unit. He is sent by his superior Big Boss to the Eastern Pacific fortress Outer Heaven, with the goal of finding the missing squad member Gray Fox and investigating a weapon known as Metal Gear. "being made a fool of by your own superior"

Part 2: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake reveals Big Boss's survival. The two face off, with Snake once again achieving victory.

Metal Gear Solid elaborates on the storyline of the earlier games and reveals that Solid Snake is a genetic clone of Big Boss, created as part of a secret government project. A new antagonist is introduced in the form of Liquid Snake,

" you are not the real snake, but only a clone" ?
No wonder snake is a bitter old marine ops. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.