Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 133 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
When I read your reply I thought for sure it was just the light because this PC was built at the very end of December. So it's only about 70 days old. You would think your filters would only need to be cleaned once every 6 months or so. But, yeah they were dirty. Not bad, but dirty enough that I went clean them.

What's everyone else think of my build. Like the case? Don't like something?

Personally I absolutely love it. For me, it's the perfect gaming rig. It looks really neat the way I have it setup. You can't get a better cpu for gaming, it's overclocked, it's 3D, no game(even Crysis 3 in 3D)can it not handle on High-Ultra settings as long as I stick with 2-4x AA. I don't see why people need more than a 660 Ti. I had two 660 Ti's in Sli but it would only work on SOME games and even then I had to make a profile and adjust all kinds of stuff for it to work. And sometimes it would work, but not to it's full potential. So I pulled the other card out and went with a single and never looked back.

I'm 27 years old and I have never owned a personal PC until about September of 2012 when I bought a laptop because my little bro wanted me to play COD Zombies with him. I got so into computers and reading reviews on PC parts that I wanted hand select every single part on a Custom Gaming PC so I could call it my own. And this is what I picked out after doing much searching and reading.

Since then I've joined Tom's Hardware and become an overclocking wiz. I never knew what I was missing out on. Now I'm thinking about getting an online degree in something doing with computers. I might as well put my interests to work.

D

Deleted member 362816

@ericjohn004

Looks very nice. Doesn't using that desk make you neck hurt lol???

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Yeah sometimes it can be a little anoying although I do kinda like my monitor sitting up high but that's a little too high for my taste but it's all I got because I don't want to add any addition furniture in this room. Plus that BenQ monitor I have allows me to adjust it up, down, left, right, AND it tilts up and down. So that makes it a little bit better for me because it's tilted all the way down.

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Thanks. I was really worried about the cable management. But thanks to the Antec 902 v3 it made it quite easy. I'm the type of person that if even one cable is out of place I'd go crazy. So everything's tie wrapped and tucked away.

*BTW, the PSU is suppose to be that way. I think you were just being sarcastic.

Nope, my sarcasm is way more subtle than that lol, I am serious, The Psu is taking air from underneath the gfx card, not blowing onto it,
Its generally accepted as best practice that the fan on a Psu is mounted down, whether its topmount or bottom mount.
Moto

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
You know what the favorite part of my build is. I LOVE MY KEYBOARD! It feels like your hands are floating while your typing, the bright blue LED's are freaking awesome, and the machined aluminum volume scroll wheel is a god send. To me it brings my build to another level.

You know this whole time I thought for sure the fan on the PSU was blowing upward. Because I didn't have a vent at the bottom of my case. So I thought it just acted as another fan. Someone even told me this was how it worked. I didn't know it was blowing down not having anywhere's for the heat to go. That's kind of a poor design. Oh well, my case stays pretty well ventalated anyways and like I said my PSU doesn't get hot so I guess it'll be ok.

The back of your PSU is a giant vent. The air leaves out the case from that vent. The fan draws cool air in onto the components inside the PSU and the heat leaves via the back of the unit.

While I agree that it is "generally accepted" I think people need to consider certain factors. A seriously restricted fan will not move air well, and while trying to move air around it could actually contribute to the heat in the space and wear out faster.

A fan that has failed or been damaged inside a PSU can't be replaced by the owner.

Another factor, Heat rises. This makes no difference because most PSUs have fans that run all the time... but many Seasonic PSUs (like my X650) keep the fan off until needed. If my PSU was turned fan down, it would possibly have very little ventilation, despite the quality of my case and the amount of airflow underneath. In this instance I have the PSU mounted in a different way. Well, you'll see later.

As soon as my mod work is done I'll make a few small upgrades that have been pending and post some pics.

D

Deleted member 362816

I more or less blew up my gtx 460 2win. Lmao bought a 7850 super duper clocked edition for 128$ nib with 3 games lol im happy.

silveralien81

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Just finished upgrading my cooling solution in my M8. Added a waterblock to my 680 and put in another 360 rad.

Mobo cable management (What cables?)
IMGP0152_zps13c801cf.jpg

PSU cable management (Holy cables Batman!)
IMGP0153_zpsf4e1bfbf.jpg

In action. The black light LEDs cause havoc with my camera.
IMGP0156_zpsf4c04eac.jpg

I'm still not totally done. The CPU block and reservoir LEDs failed so I need to get new ones. Also, I've been lazy lately and never got around to sleeving my GPU cables. But this looks good so far I think. :D

Very Nice Silveralien. I'm going to post my M8 now too... yours may be a bit nicer.

OK so here is my current build. I just got done installing a vibration dampening bracket for my pump/res, and doing some spring cleaning. It's never going to get cleaner on this desk, so might as well document it :)

First up we have the glamor shot.
thg01.jpg

Yes, that's an ancient Logitech G5 mouse. It's starting to lock up on me after all this time, and it is getting pretty ugly. Might have to put it down.
And yes, that's a book to bring by monitor up to where I like it.

Parts:
Rosewill mechanical keyboard RK-9100BR with Cherry MX Brown Switches
LG W2453V monitor
CaseLabs M8
XSPC Dual bay D5 res W/Swiftech MCP-655-b
The fans with the rings are Corsair SP120. Very quiet, and supposedly long life.
Top fans are CM.
Primochill Pro LRT UV blue 1/2" ID Tubing

The full disclosure front shot
thg02.jpg

The full disclosure backend. Nice and dim the way we like it.
thg03.jpg

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Cool thanks. Very nice builds. The water cooling add's a cool look to the interior. I've been thinking of going that route because I've just had to reduce my 3570k's overclock to 4.6Ghz from 4.7Ghz because I was getting 95c during IBT and that's a little too high for my taste. But IDK where I'd put a 240mm radiator in my case. I'm not worried about the GPU cause the max temp on my 660 Ti is only 70c and it's overclocked to about 1150Mhz. I know I can fit an H80i but that won't be any better than my Scythe Ninja 3.

Any idea's on where I could locate a 240mm radiator in an Antec 902 v3 case?

Lutfij

Titan
eric - nice work with your build in a case ost people consider horrid for cables. I'd suggest getting a new case or maybe mount rad off back of case if you'll want to watercool.

proximon - absolutely amazing with that humongous case!

alien81 - I like those sleeves, performance PC ?

silveralien81

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Which reminds me I need to update mine.