Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chris Light

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Rustoleum Aluminum primer, light wet sanding between coats w/ 600grit. Finish with Rustoleum Professional Gloss Enamel. Same light sanding between coats. I have about 3 coats of primer and 4 coats of paint. Can't remember how many cans i went thru, but it was a lot haha. Paint job took about 5 days of painting/dry time before i reassembled everything.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Awsome looking case! I like the blue liquid over the previous orange. One question: are your lower fans blowing air from the rear to the front? I do not remember if that was the intention.

I really love the flipped upside down mobo :D makes the graphics card look 100x more sexier :D
Agreed. It does showcase the graphics card better in my opinion. The center-line of most of my PC cases (that fit on my desk) have been about eye-level or lower. You see the PCB more from that angle on tradition layouts.

What case is that again? I read a review a few months ago, but cannot remember which case it was. The only other case I know with a similar layout is the Mac Pro (not meant in any way as an insult or troll comment).

Chris Light

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

what's up Chrome! thanks, the orange water wasn't a big hit haha.

by "lower fans", do you mean the radiator fans? if so, they are set as intake. The air outside my case is cooler, so i'm pulling that air in. in fact, the only exhaust in my entire setup is the front fan over the PSU. Took a lot of switching fan directions to find what worked for me.

the case is the Lian Li A05NB. I have always hated how GPUs are designed...most cases force you to have the ugly side up.

just a little funny for you...
I decided to pull the trigger and get the NZXT BETA EVO to replace my CM 430 Elite case.
it was $49.99 and then they added a 15% promo = $41.78 including tax..
I thought, why not.?!

NZXT BETA EVO Classic Series CS-NT-BETA-EVO Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146059
15% off w/ promo code NZXTOCT1, ends 10/10

Nice deal bro and the case looks good for the money. Enjoy it.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Thank you for confirming what I saw. The case created a rear-to-front wind tunnel in the lower half of the case, then used positive air pressure from the top to help cool the graphics card.

TechnoTherapist

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Well, I'm new here and this is my first post... so here goes:

I've been working on my home office setup for 13 months. The server, primary computer, and 75% of the furniture is now complete. Backup system is fully built, but I still need to order three more monitors for it. I've put a lot of time, money, and energy into this, so... yeah... I'm showing it off. :sol:

IMAG0056-3.jpg

OfficeIdea.png

Neko, helping by knocking screws into the floor:
IMAG0142-1.jpg

Why?: Remote repair, Engineering, random gaming, WOW factor.

System specs:
AM3 965 Black Quad Core at a stock 3.4GHz (air cooled O.C.ing to 3.95Ghz)

ASUS ROG Crosshair IV AM3 motherboard at 2600MHz

16gb DDR3 2000

2x Asus 5870 Eyefinity 6 video card, at 2gb

2x 80gb Intel X25m SSDs, in raid 0+1 for OS

8TB storage (4x 2tb drives) with another 8TB setup as mirrored raid (raid 1) to an external NAS (4x 2tb drives), which is backed up to another, identical, external NAS once a week, and rotated out with ANOTHER, identical, external NAS as an off site backup (kept in a locked drawer at work)

Tuniq 1200w Power Supply

10x 19" Samsung widescreen monitors

Antec 1200 v3 Case

CoolerMaster v6gt CPU Cooler

Altec Lansing speakers

Logitech MX5500 bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo

Microsoft 7000B laser mouse (backup mouse)

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

All furniture is Bush Series C (Corsa) in Mocha Cherry

People have asked, "Why does a one eyed man need 10 monitors?" My reply is simple. Because I can.

Cy

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

that is awesome. the only thing that is a downer about that many monitors is how little options you have for gpu's.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Jealous over your "home office". I hope someday I have the funds and excuse to create my own. A few questions/comments:
1) What is the back-up system for? Could you hook it up to the TV as a temporary solution?
2) What is the current budget total?
3) :love: Love the reasons listed on "Why?" :sol:
4) Props for remembering the backup mouse. ;) Most people forget that little detail.

demonsoldier

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Digimon120-1.jpg

PSU- Corsair - Gaming Series 600-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply
CPU- Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
HDD- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive x2
MOBO- ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU- SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
DVD-rw- ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Ram- CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B

demonsoldier

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
cable management (working on it myself too) and that OEM heatsink/fan, that's got to go as well..
what case is that.?

its a Rosewill Challenger is this was sorta a rushed build after my antec 650 green psu was doa and power switch wouldn't turn off so i sorta grabed this psu from bestbuy at the last minutes and rushed to put it together so i could play games lol

oh and i know about the heat sink sounds like a train wreck lol

i might have to fix the cable management when i get back from afghanistan.

TechnoTherapist

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

1) With my job, if this system crashes I need to be able to immediately log back in (or drive into work). The backup system will give me that opportunity if something goes kaput, like the mobo or psu, that takes the entire system out of the picture. It'll also be something the girlfriend can use when she's here, and guests can use when they need to "hop on line, real quick". The TV is currently setup as the "11th" monitor on the primary system, though it doesn't get much use as such.

2) System itself: $5,906.58 (including cables, drives, and 3x NAS)
Monitors/Stands: $1,409.79
Furniture: $1,711.04

3) :sol: Thanks

4) I learned this lesson YEARS ago, when my first wireless mouse died and I had to hunt down where I "stashed" my old, corded mouse, to use while the wireless charged. lol

I think its overkill on the screens as 2 5870's will not power the new titles at such a massive res but it is very nice if you are using 20 tabs of internet and watching movies ect....

I really don't game. My "newest" game is the original Left 4 Dead. It's a matter of "not enough hours in the day". When I DO play, it's simply on the main monitor only, which will then pretty much run anything I throw at it. In reality, I'm normally logged into at least 4 computers at once, which I, literally, have to keep a constant eye on (Monitors 1-4); logged into 1-3 systems at a time, working on client issues (monitors 5-7); Our ticketing system (Monitor 8); and random web-surfing (monitor 9). The 10th is simply a spare window, to even things out, but usually has some movie/music playing for background noise.

Thanks everyone. This was a year in the making and I'm very proud of the setup. Not only WOW factor, but it's a 'hoss' of a system as well.

Cy