Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thorox

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Yeah I know the 1366 board is an "enthusiast" platform, but in 2009 when I first built that PC I wanted the best so I didn't have to upgrade for a few years. I can't afford a 3930k or 3960k CPU lol.

Haha Mal you just reminded me, I'm really curious as to the response Nvidia has prepared for the 7870. The 7850 struck me as a little unimpressive as to how much it beat the 560 Ti and 6950 in certain benchmarks. I'm probably going to get a 7870 but if Nvidia offers a high OC, cool running, most of all low power consumption response. Perhaps I'll sway green.

thorox

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Just installed the Megaflow 200mm Fan, and wow I didn't think these fans were this BIG until I opened it.

I had some troubles installing the fan as the 1' 1/2 or so screws that come with the HAF 912 for the front 120mm fans won't go all the way through the Megaflow, so I just zip tied them temporarily until i can find some screws that work.

This fan doesn't seem to push much air even though it's rated at 110 CFM, maybe its just that I'm used to the concentrated stream of air from a 120mm fan vs the currently installed 200m front intake.

9pqIJ1.jpg

Also, can anyone vouch for any good fan controllers under $50? My Sunbeam one is over two years old and the first channel is cutting on/off randomly and the 3rd one is dead. Yesterday, I smelled a burning electrical smell, so I think it was the fan controller. :3

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished
I use the NZXT sentry II also. I find it really gaudy and ugly. The temperature monitoring on it is terrible; very inaccurate and turns into just a bunch of wires blocking your airflow. I should have gotten ones like this- http://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Mesh-Controller-Watts-Channels/dp/B005C31G30/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332177513&sr=8-2 , http://www.amazon.com/SUNBEAMTECH-PL-RS-6-RHEOSMART-FAN-CONTROLLER/dp/B004LKZESI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332177513&sr=8-3 , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998089 simple and easy on the eyes.

thorox

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Yeah I have been looking at the Sentry 2, but I do like the satisfying "click" you get when using manual turn knobs on a fan controller. I'll figure something out.

On the other hand, I got bored and took my old CM 690 (first gen) side panel and tried my bid at wet sanding. I might paint this old case and give it to one of my younger brothers.

ap5lGH.jpg

Larger fans move higher volumes of air at lower RPMs. Its a nice mix. I have two 140mms on top and they move a ton of air and are super quiet (I can literally drop a piece of paper on top of my PC and it will float).

GTX 580's are now under $400 (Galaxy not included @ $370 after MIR.)
I don't do Galaxy.
if they ever drop closer to $350 even with MIR, then that's the move.

The Galaxys are WAYYYY tooo big. Had one at work and the box alone was larger than any mobo box and the GPU itself was massive, well the heatsink was.

GUYS, HELP NEEDED! I was very ignorant in my process of upgrading. Prior I forgot to do a driver clean. Now that I've installed my new hardware I can't get it to recognize any of my USB devices after the startup. I can use my keyboard/mouse fine in BIOS and Hybrid EFI, however when it gets to the windows bootup screen it stops power to my USB devices and I can't use them, the lights turn off the on the keyboard hence no power. I plug them into a PS/2 converter it gives the lights hence power however there is still no reconization of keystrokes or mouse movements. HELP.

Done? I think yes. Used that disc mal and that did the Trick. Not exactly a fan of what Gigabyte did include though, lots of very glitchy software, probably from upgrading but others were just bloatware that I decided not to install. Figured out that a lot of the stuff had to be fixed through device manager. Going to start overclocking now. I'll upload pics in a bit.

I have two Gigabytes, I know how they can be.
continue on... :lol:

Well I didn't really cable manage to the fullest since I just wanted to use my i5 2500K and OC. But I managed to fit the 24-pin in the back now. Zalman just had to include the ugliest green/yellow/blue 4-pin fan connected with the fan. Next up is getting a 4-pin to 3-pin converter if there's such a thing to hook up with my Rheobus controller.

MAN. I think I got a bad i5 2500K or something. I'm running 4.6ghz @ 1.43v though the Zalman is keeping it way cool, idling @ 33-35*C and running prime 95 only gets up to 55-60*C

Odd though, @ idle, CPU-Z reads 1.43v or sometimes flucuates to 1.42v, but when running Prime95 it'll drop voltage down to 1.37v

Set your LLC to 75% and try again.

Totally different, more if you move on to work with an UEFI BIOS.

Do you have all the power options disable?

thorox

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
pLyLVM.jpg

Tidy little build I'd say, I might even try and pull off a WC build with this little HAF 912. I'm loving it so far, possibly even more than my old CM 690. :O Looking forward to seeing what Nvidia has to offer on the GTX 680, as I might go "green" this time around. ;)