Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 187 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
And then my other recent project. This was my sim system which lasted all of 6 months:

n16ct0A.jpg

ru0zYRN.jpg

This system had problems driven by the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Shift X case. Looks cool yes, but unless you are using a custom loop covering the CPU and GPU DON'T BOTHER. My CPU cooled ok, my GPU (Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700XT SE) was hot all the time. Then it failed. Mind you this was my second one, the first one I got failed in 3 days. Sapphire sent over a replacement. That one the first time I used it froze up, artifacts, and crashed back to the desktop after 20 minutes in every game. To their credit they are sending me over a new one. That one is going on eBay, I've decided enough is enough. I purchased a Gigabyte Windforce 2080 Super a, but even that much cooler running GPU was still HOT in that case, so I finally said screw it and bought a Corsair Crystal 280X RGB case.

qsmQIB5.jpg

ViImYqI.jpg

PIIt7xN.jpg

1khOlBr.jpg

Now, neither the CPU or GPU go over 71c, everything is quiet as can be. The old case and 5700XT will be on eBay next week.

Heres the build info

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($274.49 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($196.88 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 5.5 g Thermal Paste ($26.88 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($449.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($743.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Crystal 280X RGB MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($243.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair LL120 RGB LED 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Corsair LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: MSI Optix MAG27C 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G413 Carbon Wired Gaming Keyboard ($64.00 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech TrackMan Wireless Trackball (Purchased For $25.00)
Headphones: Sennheiser GAME ONE Black Headset
Custom: Next Level Racing GT Ultimate V2 (Purchased For $799.99)
Custom: Next Level Racing Monitor Stand (Purchased For $179.99)
Custom: Next Level Racing Keyboard Stand (Purchased For $79.99)
Custom: Thrustmaster T300RS (Purchased For $279.99)
Custom: Thrustmaster T3PA Pro (Purchased For $169.99)
Custom: Thrustmaster TH8A (Purchased For $129.99)
Custom: Buttkicker Gamer 2 (Purchased For $139.99)
Custom: SoundBlaster X G5 ($89.99)
Total: $4407.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-14 16:49 EDT-0400

Reactions: vMax

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like you got victimized on some of those prices, like the mobo is over double normal pricing. I just got the Asus X570-I for $249 at newegg. The Gigabyte usually is $200 or less.

$800 for a fancy chair with a stearing wheel? chokes wow, hope it's comfortable.

And it shakes...

Does look Purdy though 👍

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Looks like you got victimized on some of those prices, like the mobo is over double normal pricing. I just got the Asus X570-I for $249 at newegg. The Gigabyte usually is $200 or less.

$800 for a fancy chair with a stearing wheel? chokes wow, hope it's comfortable.

And it shakes...

Does look Purdy though 👍

None of those prices are correct, I paid significantly less for most of it. The only things I bought recently were the case and the GPU. I also bought most of this stuff back in November. I paid $189 for the motherboard.

Fancy chair and a steering wheel? No its a bit more than that, pics:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/7FzYcf

And what I have is kinda cheap compared to many.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Oof. Who knew lol. I have a G110, love that keyboard. My wife can type 80wpm and with some keyboards it's like machine gun fire in the house, but that thing is almost dead silent. And it's got great spacing for my chunky fingers.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Oof. Who knew lol. I have a G110, love that keyboard. My wife can type 80wpm and with some keyboards it's like machine gun fire in the house, but that thing is almost dead silent. And it's got great spacing for my chunky fingers.

Yeah I got my money's worth out of it IMO, It ended up being just too big for the tray, and it was starting to have keys that stuck.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Went the DIY route with the Kraken G12 + Fractal Design Celsius S36. That crap took like a day and a half because of some simple stuff not included in the instruction manuals.:mad:
-Changed the fans back to the Chromax/regular Noctua fans, save for the 3000 IPPC in the back. The Fractal fans don't sit right with me, so I will be replacing them in time, because I'm a Noctua whore.:p
-I will be getting the Chromax versions of the beige fans later.
-I didn't include a picture of it, but there are 3x 140mm Chromax fans in the front, so there's a push-pull setup going on with the AIO. I wasn't originally intending to do that, but it happened to work out, thanks to the lacking instructions...o_O
-I won't be including a pic of the cable management yet, because I'm not proud of how it turned out :eek: I was just focused on getting that AIO installed first.
-In case the pics aren't clear enough: yes, the custom top panel mesh mod is still there.
-The front panel may look dusty, but I had cleaned it before I took the pics... ¯\(ツ)

I'll post a thread later on my experiences with using a liquid cooler so far.

View: https://imgur.com/ftlSJj9

View: https://imgur.com/ZfnldNl

View: https://imgur.com/noIyXN9

View: https://imgur.com/v4iqYkG

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The G12+S36 is on the 1080 ti right? If so what temps are you getting?
I did play one of my favorite Indie racing games earlier, Redout: Enhanced Edition... the thing STRUGGLED TO HIT 40C(24C ambient room), and that was with a +75 core and +450 memory OC...
I also did a round of Unigine Superposition, 10475 - thermals were the same as the above. With the old Gigabyte cooler, both stayed below 65C, but I ran the fans at 100% - the noise didn't bother me, so why not?
The 300w power limit kinda sucks, but oh well.

I didn't even do this for the temps:
1)I just wanted to get some experience using a liquid cooler.
2)The gpu makes the most sense to liquid cool. It's nuts how people tend to have this backwards, but I imagine it has a lot to do with the convenience of cpu liquid cooling.

Reactions: WildCard999

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Liquid cooled gpu and air cooled cpu is backwards from the norm.
Yeah, because the masses shifted it that way. The gpu benefits more from it than a cpu does.

How easy is it for today's gpus to output some 200w+ of waste heat compared to cpus?
Excluding the HEDT gpus and cpus:
Gpus: RTX 2060 and higher, GTX 1070 and higher, RX 590(Fatboy specifically), RX 5700(XT), Vega 56 & 64, Radeon VII...
Cpus: mainly Intel's i9s, and the i7-10700(K) - then there's the i7-8700K & 9700K that can get that high in specific scenarios. AMD doesn't have anything recent that runs that high.

My 1080Ti pulls 300w easily.
My delidded 7820X @ 4.5ghz, 3.0ghz cache, can pull 270w in Prime 95, AVX off. Aside from that, it doesn't pull anywhere near that kind of power regularly, unlike the 1080Ti.

Then there's also the point to be made about gpu cooling being direct-die - cpus have the option to, but most don't go that route... why is that?:unsure:
The IHS does reduce cooling efficiency, but people seldom remove it... Impractical, perhaps? Inconvenient?

But as I said earlier, the convenience of cpu liquid cooling probably has a lot to do with it being the norm.
I'm fine with being backwards.

Last edited:

Kirill Kozlovsky

Reputable
Jul 7, 2020
My living room HTPC:

Asus B460-I Gaming
Intel Core i5 10400F + Nocuta NH-L9i Chromax
EVGA GTX 1650 Super Ultra
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2X8GB 2666MHZ CL18
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB for OS + External 4TB WD MyBook for media
Fractal Design Node 202 + 2X120 Noctua Slim NF-A12x15 PWM fans
Corsair SF450

EdezfPS.jpg

pNWRN9f.jpg

Y7OXr5X.jpg

B5NBM

Prominent
Oct 12, 2019
Hey all, its been a while as work has been crazy past few months but im back to fiddling with the PC at last haha. Ive had quite a change up since last here but mainly in the monitor department but here she is as she stands currently :) Im planning adding the GPU to loop shortly now more confident so another update to come soon. I have included the PC part picker list for specs as easier but if any questions then ask away.

5bmVHtE.jpg

kUrrSMc.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: ADATA SU800 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB AORUS Video Card
Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Software: Microsoft Office 365 Home (1 Year Subscription) - 6 Users Software
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE QL120 RGB 41.8 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pac
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE QL120 RGB 41.8 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE QL120 RGB 41.8 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE QL140 RGB 50.2 CFM 140 mm Fan
Monitor: Samsung C49RG9 49.0" 5120x1440 120 Hz Monitor
Monitor: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Asus ROG Horus GK2000 RGB UK Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB ELITE Wired Optical Mouse / Corsair Ironclaw Wireless Mosue
Headphones: SteelSeries ARCTIS Pro Wireless with GameDac + ARCTIS 5 (2019 Edition) 7.1 Channel Headset
Custom: EK Velocity Acetal + Nickel AM4
Custom: EK XRES 140 Revo D5 Res/Pump Combo
Custom: EK 250 Res Extension (204mm)
Custom: EK X-RES Multiport Top
Custom: 16mm Hard Line PETG Tubing Kit
Custom: Reaper Cable PSU Cable Extensions (White+Carbon)
Custom: GeeekPI 5" LCD Screen
Custom: Bose Solo 5 Soundbar
Custom: EK Cryofuel Indigo Violet
Custom: White Desk (Unknown Model) - 94.5" x 34.5" x 29" (W x D x H)
Custom: Corsair HydroX XR7 360mm Radiator
Custom: EK Coolstream SE 360mm Radiator
Custom: SecretLab Omega 2020 Ash

B5NBM

Prominent
Oct 12, 2019
Nice.
I am hugely interested in the 5" LCD and the Pi subsystem that runs it.

If you are so inclined, please share.
No problem, its a 5" pi screen with a surround made for it to keep a cleaner look. Connects and powered by hdmi so work as any other monitor would then just added a rainmeter overlay that shows temps via hardware monitor/msi afterburner. Hope that helps :)

USAFRet

Titan
No problem, its a 5" pi screen with a surround made for it to keep a cleaner look. Connects and powered by hdmi so work as any other monitor would then just added a rainmeter overlay that shows temps via hardware monitor/msi afterburner. Hope that helps :)
OK, cool.
I'm in the early stages of a weird casemod, with specific front facing visibility and sizing.
A small screen like that displaying rainmeter might do the trick.

B5NBM

Prominent
Oct 12, 2019
OK, cool.
I'm in the early stages of a weird casemod, with specific front facing visibility and sizing.
A small screen like that displaying rainmeter might do the trick.
Lot simpler than I thought would be but if get stuck drop me a message :)