Tom's Hardware Steam Giveaway - Watch Dogs 2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JakeWearingKhakis

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
IDDQD, IDKFA, IDSPISPOPD (I think) for Doom 2.
UUDDLRLRABSS For Contra

Those are the only ones I can ever remember. Also, I don't cheat in games!! Which is why I only remember the classics.

surelock

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Love the good old Tilde ~ in pretty much all the older PC games things like godmode etc. however, not really cheat related but Duke nukem 3D level editor was awesome for making simple levels to mess around in. me and my old buddy built out our neighborhood connecting our two houses. oh those were the days. even got an A in art class haha. best hacks or cheats now would have to be Trainers in general, people smarter then me making these things are great. but I do like a challenge, usually wait till after I have beaten the game once.

AngelGT

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
Many years ago when I was a kid I remember my friend gave me a print off sheet of cheat codes for the original Doom game. Among the codes were: "idchoppers" which gave you a free chainsaw at the start of the game if you would like. But I would have to say my favorite of those cheats was "idclip" which allowed you to walk through walls. It was nifty to see unsolved areas and also scary to see a horde of monsters hiding in a little closet sized room that would normally be waiting to ambush you.

pyro411

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I would have to say my favorites are...

In the original PC release of Star Control 2, being able to get a ton of money selling landers since selling them didn't stop at 0 & could continue on forever as long as you'd like.

However much has to be said "hurryupguys" in early RTS games was fun

Also sadly I can't remember the codes themselves but the Jump hack codes for the Super Mario Brothers game on the NES via Game Genie was always fun especially when telling friends it was a code for infinite lives :D

zahoome

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Several classics. Konami code, of course. And the Doom and Doom II codes: IDDQD for mindless mayhem, IDCHOPPERS because chainsaw, IDCLIP (Doom II), and of course IDSPISPOPD (Doom) just for what it stands for.

I think my favourite is IDSPISPOPD.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

That one, & "there is no cow level". Used that the first time going through the campaigns when I'd get stuck on a particular mission...

valk33

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Age of Empires had some good codes; DARK RAIN, FLYING DUTCHMAN, BIGDADDY , so many good ones. Also B,A,R,R,A,L in the original Donkey Kong Country is one I always remembered.

M for Moartea

Honorable
Apr 18, 2015
My favourite cheat codes in a video game are "power overwhelming" and "there is no cow level" in StarCraft. The latter became an easter egg source for many Blizzard games thereafter.

While the Konami code would be the ultimate; seeing as originating from Gradius and then to Contra and the perpetually used throughout history after wards(to include at DEFCON on the the hack the badge contest), I think my favorite would be in megaman 3, where you could use the second game controller to change the effects of how megaman moved (higher jumps, vulnability to falling in pits, etc.)

A close second would be donkey kong mode for 007 goldeneye.

-Cam

A12694

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
up up up down down down in mercenaries 2 to refill fuel. Not the most well known or anything but I had a lot of fun with this one.

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016
A classic one and personal favorite of mine was the cheat code for the jetpack in GTA San Andreas. I cant remember the exact code, it was PS2. Back before i joined the PC gaming world.

campbrs

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I loved the old school days of the Commodore 64 where you would typically need to use the old sector editor to modify game data directly on the floppy disk to cheat in games - I may my Bard's Tale III chars superheros using this method.

Another "cheat" that seemed to work with Bard's Tale II on the C64 was to enter Garth's Equipment shoppe and insert the Bard's Tale I character disk when prompted to enter the character disk - this would allow you to buy ANY item in the game - including all 7 segments used to create the Scepter (you could buy the Scepter as well but it didn't work as inteneded(

Then there is the old multiple char disk trick that allowed you to get unlimited gold by moving gold between different characters across multiple disks - work in Bard's Tale I, a number of the Wizardry games, etc from what I remember.

My first thought about best hack, cheat, or code was of course the Konami code. I never actually owned Contra but a friend did, and that was the only way we were able to get through to the end.

After thinking about it some more, this is one of my first experiences with cheat codes, and its a game I owned and played relentlessly.

Revenge of Shinobi - Sega Genesis

"Unlimited Shurikens
For unlimited shurikens, set the number of shurikens on the Options screen to 0 and wait about 20 seconds. The zero will turn into an infinity symbol, giving you an unlimited number of shurikens."

Meatdohx

Honorable
May 23, 2013
What's the best hack, cheat, or code in a video game? What's your favorite one from yesteryear?

All your base are the belong to us! Warcraft