Tom's Hardware Steam Giveaway - Watch Dogs 2

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FranticPonE

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
My favorite is "There is no cow level" a cheatcode from Starcraft denying that there was a secret cow level in Diablo 1. Of course, come Diablo 2...

vitius

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Dead Space: Load up on Nodes and Credits (Xbox 360)
to load up on nodes and credits to help me score the better weapons in the game. While playing, press X, Y, Y, Y, X, X, and Y for 10,000 credits, and Y, X, Y, X, X, Y, X, X, Y, X, X, Y for five nodes.
i had so much difficulties to play that game, and after discovering this cheat it was so easy and fun to play the game :)

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
going to give it to the konami code as in some games it allowed you to play a completely different game.

also going to say nba jam arcade code for the tank game.

Martin_137

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
My favourites would have to be moon gravity in Tony Hawk "superfly" and extended rosters in NBA Jam "Start, Y, Up, Down, B, Left, A, Right, Down, Start, then enter JAM as initials".

cricketdog

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I've never used a cheat code in a game, and I've been playing games since the Atari 2600. It always felt like cheating myself out of the game as it was meant to be played, so I've never wanted to do it.

Kafkar

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
It was the invincibility code in StarCraft Brood War, as I didn't want to go through all those levels to see the ending. "power overwhelming"

Andy Soedarsono

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
The bests cheat code all of time that I still remember until this day are the Konami code and Wolfenstein's iddqd, and also on Descent Freespace series, arrrwalktheplank, where you can literally summon the invulnerable Volition Galleon lolz

iphandood

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
i think GTA San Andreas still have the best cheat codes ever
"Left, Right, L1, L2, R1, R2, Up, Down, Left, Right"

phantomtrooper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I think I had the most fun cheating in the original Age of Empires. Just type in "photon man" a few times and you have an unstoppable army. You could also stock up on resources and build a traditional army, or turn all the birds into dragons. Modern games need more cheat codes.

Another great game for cheating was Call of Duty: World at War. You could play the zombies maps with infinite ammo. Made the maps so much more fun since by the time you got to being overwhelmed there were just an insane amount of zombies.

Baumy15

Reputable
May 12, 2014
this is bringing back memories of playing GTA:SA on the PS2. i cant remember any of the codes as it was 10 or so years back but getting in a golf buggy with vehicle of death and godmode was the best, you could just drive around in an unflipable vehicle destroying everything in your path, it felt so empowering!!

Sergio_19

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017

Like someone said earlier the whistles to warp to other worlds in Super Mario World 3 was my favorite. As for last year I use 0 hacks/cheats. I tend to use cheats only after I beat a game and I beat none unfortunately.

G

from 5carlet
my fav was my old "crackshot" card that fit into my old Apple II+
"cracked" about anything back then
of course I don't do this kind of stuff now
because I now realize the software piracy is wrong, wrong, wrong
(and my wife would kill me, haha)

GreatUncleBaal

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
I stumbled across a great little gem for New Zealand Story (Cutesy platformer) on the Atari ST back in the day. I noticed that if you pressed the M key at the main menu, a squelching sound was played. if you pressed the O key after the M, it made another squelch, but no other keys did the same after the M. This got me interested so I kept on going (I didn't get out much in those early teenage years) and worked out that there was a sequence to be discovered. If you typed (excuse the language, I censored the obvious for the easily offended) M O T H E R F * * K I N G K I W I B A S T * * D S, a final chime sounded and you were then playing with an invincible Kiwi character and could romp through the game.
Shocking, but I assure you it was true. :pt1cable:

Badelhas

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Yeah, the cheat codes and trainers on GTA were very funny to use. But I try not to use trainers, last year didn't use any.
Street Fighter 2 arcade machines (anyone here from that time?) had a couple of tricks we could do with a combination of joystick and buttons pressed.

Cheers

iothomas

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
possibly my first cheat form back in 80s, in order to enamble cheats in Prince of Persia

in dos command you had to run PRINCE MEGAHIT

Kevkas

Honorable
Oct 25, 2015
Definitely IDDQD is my favorite code.

As for the one I used yesteryear, another one of my favorites... the sportscar in Age of Empires II.

What's the best hack, cheat, or code in a video game? What's your favorite one from yesteryear?
the 1s i wrote myself back in the 8 bit days...
i would spend hours copying and pasting sectors of data till i honed in on the hex bytes that held the relevant values i wanted to change.
i could do anything from adding infinite lives to redesigning whole level maps. all with a persistent memory resident hex editor that i wrote myself...

basically i was writing my own zero day exploits.

long live 8 bit hackers and rip FRED FISH!.

z00rox

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016
I have been thinking it over all these days, but, my experience being unsufficient, I haven't come up with any cheats or hacks. The most and only 'dishonest' thing I have done so far is searching for and using information on how to find the achivements I've missed while playing a game. I'm afraid I can hardly qualify as a cheater, can I? )

Dosflores

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
My favorite hack is the one from Super Mario Bros. You had to jump onto a brick roof, which didn't seem like a roof but just the level's ceiling. Then you could avoid all threats and easily reach the end of the level, and to top it off, there were some pipes that allowed you to skip some levels. It changed the game from impossible to beat to nearly impossible to beat.

spadam_2000

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I don't generally use cheat codes. Cheating takes the challenge and fun out of it, for me. However, I do remember using some "cheat" codes back in the day on Super NES while playing NFL Blitz that would give your player gigantic heads and other funny alterations.

Tadashi1588

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016
First thing I thought of was playing Hexen back when our computer still ran on DOS. Playing with god mode one or typing in CASPER to walk through walls. I miss that game.

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I usually avoid using cheats. But the few times I've used them, they've been lifesavers. For example, I remember I encountered a game-breaking bug in Dragon Age 2, where it was impossible to move forward because I was missing an item that was required and had no way of getting it. So I used the console to add it manually.