Tom's Hardware Superposition Benchmark Thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only GB boards I ever lost was when the house took a direct lightning strike and it blew everything out on the whole house.

That's every electric device in the house wasted.

Was so bad it melted the main power cable coming into the house, the one going into the main power box.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

Is that a Fractal Design Core 1000? Frickin love that case.

I don't trust Gigabyte or MSI for anything.

Except it says right on the capacitor 105C in the image I posted.

"never meant to have"
Then why are there two empty holes where the wires are soldered that say "PCIE"? That's all I did was solder the wires. I don't have to use them if I don't want, but in one of the images you can see it's labelled "800" where they stick the wattage. Take apart any CX series and you'll see that stamp.

How did they solve the problem? I've got a P55D-Evo tripe crossfire that won't finish post and I REALLY wanna use it. Tried an i5 540 and an i7 870 and neither passes post. i3 produces a PCI error and the i7 produces a DRAM error...but both work in an OEM Dell board.

It's the Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower, it is a nice case for what I am using it for, looks nice too.

D

Deleted member 217926

If I remember correctly they just stopped selling boards made with the defective socket. A bad batch went out when P55 was released.

Yeah, I think they did stop.

Why the Revision numbers changed on the P55 boards from what I remember.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I see clearly on the board where it says 800, but there is nothing to indicate that is the wattage. This psu is not the GS as you described but an old CX. Known for putting out "just about" what is on the label. Also as Turkey said you'd never get 800w out of a 600w psu. No CX800 ever existed and the platform of the GS was not the same as the CX. So there is literally nothing to indicate that 800 is wattage, at all.

Now fire hazard may be a stretch assuming you can soldier well, but running a psu right up against its OCP is not a good idea at all. Yeah it may not have failed yet, you got lucky. That's all it is, because if you did this 5 times I guarantee the outcome would not be the same.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

That's wrong. We've already confirmed that this is some demon child Corsair PSU and is definitely not a CX600.
I filled out Outervison's PSU calculator, lo and behold, 790W load. I play GTA5 on my rig on three screens, have the 580 dedicated to PhysX, I render 1080p60 videos for my YouTube channel, and I export animations for NSFW sites in Blender on a near daily basis - CPU and both GPUs are at 100% load during most of those activities except for gaming, where CPU reaches 80% and GPU (1070) reaches 100% while the 580 picks up what the 1070 can't handle. I don't know if GTAV makes use of CUDA or PhysX but I see spikes of up to 50% on the 580 when playing most DX11 games.

https://outervision.com/b/NxMEup

Take apart ANY Corsair PSU where the PCB is made by Corsair and you will see that the number stamp is to indicate wattage.

I'm no PSU expert (this guy is) but I'm 100% certain this is some f'd up child of Corsair that came out the factory wrong.

Your problem is you think Outervision calculator is actually good. It's not accurate. If Outervision says 790W load that usually means your load is always under 600W. You can look up actual wattages in real reviews, not Outervision's money scam. They're probably paid off by every PSU company, they probably reap in a little bit of profit from Silverstone, EVGA, Seasonic, etc. (conspiracy, but nonetheless outervision is inaccurate).

You should go to the Jonnyguru forums and ask Jonnyguru, see what he says.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

That's actually wrong, the calculator on Outervision's site is the same calculator as the one on Cooler Master's site, Seasonic's site, and a few others, see for yourself. It's an open source HTML5 application that's shared among a lot of sites.

MSI's calculator doesn't have the Sandy Bridge-WS list for the E3 1240.

Your power is this:

Intel Xeon E3-1240: 80W
GTX 1070: 225W
RX 580: 225W
3 hard drives: 30W
Mobo: ~20W
Fans, keyboard, mouse, LEDs: 10W

I get a tad under 600W doing my math. Not 790W. The trickier number is the 1070's power, give or say I give that number some flexibility of +-15W probably.

Cooler Master, Seasonic, and every one of those sites' PSU calculators are all wrong. The power usage is always higher than what actually happens. Websites like HardOCP measure power from the wall for entire systems, and when you factor in efficiency the power out is always way less than what Outervision or any other site will show for power. Seasonic and Cooler Master make more money if they say it's more wattage than you need. If you were on the board of financial advisor's you'd probably also recommend overrating the wattage to sell higher wattage units.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ Turkey is correct. Those calculators mostly overestimate to account for the use of low quality and group regulated power supplies that don't supply all their wattage on the 12v rail more than any conspiracy though. Like the Corsair CX.

My guess is he's probably running it right around the rated amperage for the 12V rail of the PSU. Of course it depends on what hardware is doing what at what time. Not usually is everything going full max all the time. The CPU may be using only 50W a lot of the time, or the GPUs may be using a lot less than the numbers above.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

Don't forget that my 1070 is overclocked to 2100Mhz and all 6 fans are on full blast (they're quiet).

I also unlocked my 1070's power limit by doing the power shunt mod as I said earlier in this thread. That allowed me to reach 2100Mhz stable in the first place.

Regardless of whether or not my PSU is 600 or 800W effectively, it can support the 580 without problems because my CPU isn't some overlclocked Threadripper or i9 BS that consumes like 400W of power.

On a more on-topic note, do you think I should add a rule that users can have multiple cards on the Superposition chart? I wanna give my 580 a run for its money.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

Well then I don't know why everyone flipped out when I said I added two additional 8-pins to my PSU. I don't suck at soldering and the PSU can obviously handle it. Not like I'm running a 3790K at 4.5Ghz.

If a 580 and a 1070 plus my CPU and 4 drives still uses the amount the PSU is rated for, why did everyone flip a deuce? Because I think it's some hellspawn 800W? What does that matter?

back on thread topic. Should I add an exception for multiple cards per user?

Because they're saying your load is 'just under 600W', and your PSU is considered to be just able to deliver 600W...

I see Rev1.2 on there, not Rev1.0 as you stated earlier?

That's the third generation CX600. I can't really find much on it.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

Because like I pointed out before..
the CX, GS line are just mediocre, They will do great on initial tests but they won't last, Not good at all, they mostly use cheap boards, chinese or taiwanese made capacitors(good PSU use Japanese). That's why they are cheap power supply units.. you should buy something better if you are building a gaming and/overclocking rig and if you can afford it otherwise you are just being cheap.
On the other hand if you are building a very basic machine for office work web browsing media viewing and other light task a CX is perfectly FINE!. But you are not using it for light work so you are playing with fire.

And like I mentined Mine died last month and fried my motherboard I was running a single Overclocked GTX 980 Ti an overclocked i7 and a water pump with multiple fans in my case( 7 total) and it died less than 2 years of use, it was a GS700 ...

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

Ah, I see. I had thought it was 1.0, just never really paid attention. First gen was 2008-ish.

Okay

Yeah, an overclocked 980Ti AND an overclocked i7. An OC'd 980Ti is like 400W and an OC'd i7 can use a lot too. You probably got a low binned unit.

I'm using a 1070 which uses less power than the 980ti and I'm using a stock clocked low-power Xeon and I'm gonna get the E3 1275 at some point because it uses even less power (3w less).

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

You have the worst score out of anyone on the official Unigine board, at least for the XFX version.

Ah well. LOL

Old machine, 1st gen I7.

Does well in other BM though.

Doubt many are running RX 480's with 1st gen I7's.

Status
Not open for further replies.